1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shanghaied [Survival Questing Pack]

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by SirJAH888, Sep 29, 2018.

1. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    7:33 AM
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that we have created a 1.7.10 survival pack called Shanghaied. It was originally released on FTB under the name of Marooned. That is until a wee lass shanghaied our Marooned name to use for her own totally unrelated pack. Being gentlemen's we naturally applauded her audacious cunning move to covet our much loved name while she left us marooned without a name to call our own.

Undaunted we searched high and low for a replacement name to stick on our ramshackle pack and eventually had a light bulb moment and saw the light. It was too bright so we turned it off. This LED us to ponder the moaning of life and wonder how we came to be shanghaied so easily. That's when the penny dropped! Penny told us we should rename our pack Shanghaied so we'd be able to shanghai all our contestants into playing our brand spanking new remodeled, albeit somewhat familiar pack. So how about it? Would you like to be shanghaied into at least downloading the pack we've been developing and redeveloping for what seems like an eternity?

WHAT? You want to be tempted more? Not willing to check out our Technic site unless we at least put in a brief description of the pack. Okay you've twisted my arm so here goes.............

--------------------------------------------​

Welcome to Shanghaied, the crazy game where we shanghai unsuspecting members from our audience and abandon them on a desolate hostile planet where they have to survive with little more than a flimsy weapon and a quest book filled with ingeniously fiendish quests that they'll need to complete in order to progress all the way to the winners circle to claim the grand prize and more importantly, to stay alive longer than the last contestant. So don't be shy, come along and join our audience and with any luck we'll choose you to be our next heroic adventurer. But don't worry, if you do happen to get shanghaied, we'll actually let you choose which hostile environment you're sent to. How generous is that?

We'll transport you to a paradise island filled with waiting attendants who will fill your every whim. Oh wait, that's where I go every night after filming the latest exploits of our hapless contestants. But we will send you somewhere that's quite different to a paradise island and certainly with no attendants, unless you call the hoard waiting to tear you limb from limb attendants, lol.

We've designed our competition in such a way that although you'll start with almost nothing, you will be able to gradually progress by completing well thought out challenges, provided you don't starve along the way. We understand that not everyone has mastered the art of finding shortcuts or even finding longcuts so we've included many hints and lots of advice in our quest book that we're sure you'll probably ignore, even if you don't know what you're doing. We call that the human condition and our audience just love watching adventurers flounder over a quest knowing that all they had to do was actually read it first. What a hoot.

Most adventuring games start out requiring players to harvest lots of wood and materials and we didn't want to spoil your expectations so we've included these requirements in our quest as well. But we have tried to make it different by not actually giving you any saplings to begin with, you're expected to travel the land looking for dying trees to harvest in the hopes one of them will drop a sapling for you. To top things off its not even regular wood. But we have provided a Lucky Dip you can earn over and over again that may or may not provide you with ore berries to plant or seeds to throw in chests until you can plant them or even actual food! But its a lucky dip and everyone knows your never know what you're going to get until you've smashed it open. Oh, and it'll be some time before you gather enough material to even make a sieve, so growing those ores will be the order of the day. All will be explained once you start playing the game.

The important thing is that you get started right away as we've already shanghaied hundreds of other contestants and some of them have managed to survive long enough to get more of their quest book pages open and we're concerned they might get their grubby hands on the magnificent trophy that we were hoping to give to you when you eventually reach our paradise island, so don't delay, download today.

Flatland Worlds
    [​IMG]

Sky Platform & Waterworld
    [​IMG]

Have you ever visited the Aether and wondered what its all about? Have you always wanted to ‘ride’ a Moa and had no idea how to do it? So many new things to explore and not sure where to begin. Well wonder no more because we’ve included an entire page of quests dedicated to get you from go to whoa, or should that be moa? Either way now you have a reason to not only visit the Aether but complete our wonderfully challenging quests right up to the final terrifying BOSS of the dungeons.

Never bothered going back to the Nether due to a lack of interesting things to do? Really? Well we've designed an entire page of special quests for you to complete while you're there. Intrigued? Well I should hope so. But first if you choose one of our fiendish flatlands to play, you'll need to complete a few preliminary quests to get the materials required to build your own Nether gate.

Are you thinking that this is just another land based survival pack? Well think again because we've also included an ocean based biome where you begin your journey from inside an active volcano with of all things, a Nether gate that you'll need to use to gather the materials you require to build a floating platform on the endless ocean. Don't worry though, your ocean will contain many islands you can eventually visit to plunder for their resources.

But wait, there's more. We've also included for your playing pleasure, a sky platform where you'll start your adventure perched way up high on a tiny platform above an unforgiving void. This world also requires going to the Nether to gather materials to expand your platform. Yes, it does have some islands dotted around it, but not nearly as many as you'd find in the ocean biome. What's more all these exciting new worlds use the same quest book. Impossible you say? Perhaps, but then if it was, how could we have designed this pack with exactly these options included? Its ready and waiting for you to try out today. Be the first to meet their doom in this entirely new take on a survival pack.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BEGINNING YOUR ADVENTURE: Although its yet another survival game, it has some differences. You start out on a dying planet with a few possessions including a weapon of sorts, and of course your trusty quest book. Its up to you to decide how you want to progress, either by searching for a safe place to hunker down before the nightly mobs come out to play, or by throwing caution to the wind and spending the entire day trying to gather as much material as possible to complete some of the early quests in order to reap their wonderful rewards. When night does come, you'll likely be overwhelmed with countless mobs that will have you running for cover in an attempt to prevent them chalking up yet another victory via your mangled corpse. So you might want to consider taking the first option mentioned and concentrate on making a shelter before night actually falls. On the other hand, there might not be that many mobs after all, just the usual assortment you'd expect to get on any dying planet you just happened to get abandoned on.

COMPLETING THE QUEST: All is not lost, you'll notice as you progress through the quest book that there is a pathway that opens up. You might get lucky and just happen to take the shortest route possible, or you might not. Although your primary goal is to complete the solitary quest on the WINNERS CIRCLE page, there are many optional side quests that you can still complete along the way that offer useful rewards. Hmmmm, I imagine there might be some completionists out there thinking they ain't gunna play any game that can't be completed. Well don't worry, this game can be completed 100%, its just that you can choose not to complete it if your intention is to just get to that beckoning finish line.

DISCLAIMER BOOK: We've also provided a disclaimer for your reading pleasure. If you're playing alone, you'll be able to read it in complete safety as opening it freezes time along with those nasty mobs. There's a lot of information in it including some that might even be a bit helpful, but we aren't passing out guarantee's, just letting you know the lay of the land so to speak. We do however highly recommend you read it sooner rather than later so that you don't miss out on any unexpected bonuses that you might stumble upon during your upcoming ordeal.

FOOD: Food is a requirement for survival, and you'll likely spend the first few weeks on the brink of starvation and have to spend every waking moment in the pursuit of yet another morsel to stave off death. There will still be time however to progress through the challenges at a steady pace until you eventually become established enough to want to automate some of your growing number of daily tasks.

Our intrepid botanist's have managed to source some new crops that will happily grow in tilled soil in whichever climate you choose to eke out your existence. You will have to wait until you obtain a mattock or Farming Station to till the soil though. Thanks to one of our illustrious sponsor's supplying us with these seeds, we have been able to distribute them randomly via our 'Lucky Dips'. Watch out for them when you break open your Lucky Dip to get the wonderful surprises contained in them.

We've also managed to simplify the recipe for making fertile soil that you can use to grow regular crops while you're struggling to stay alive. Hopefully you'll last long enough to eventually get started on your new crops and make all the wonderful recipes our chef spent creating during our 'off' season. He reckons some of them are to die for. Not sure what he meant by that remark, hopefully its just a metaphor and not to be taken literally. Eventually you'll be able to grow prodigious quantities when you ramp up to mass production. This is a good thing as there are quests where you can earn magnificent rewards for handing in your surplus produce.

Did I mention the hidden recipe treasure hunt? No? Well I think its best to leave you with a few surprises to look forward to hey?

MOBS: In this game you get rewarded for killing mobs, in fact its a requirement so if you prefer playing on peaceful, you'll find you can't progress much further than the first few challenges. This is not to say you'll be spending every waking hour defending yourself. Its a relatively small part of the game, but necessary as there's no point in having mobs if you're going to spend every night hiding away from them.

ORES: Now that we've got that concern out of the way, lets think about how we get ores. Although its possible to get to the waiting ores below the layers of bedrock in the Flatlands worlds, its not something you should concern yourself with early in the game, especially as it'll be some time before you are able to make a pickaxe. The good news is you can grow ores until a better option becomes available. Oreberries are a big part of the early stages of your adventure and best of all, you can simply hang them on drying racks and wait until they turn into nuggets. They can still be smelted if preferred.

REWARD BAGS: The reward bags have been specially designed to help improve your lot in life. They can help you immensely, or just a little bit. How useful a reward is often depends on how advanced into the game you are when you receive it.

If you're really lucky you might get a food reward that is also one of the hidden treasure recipes, so be sure to check the Secrets Revealed page every now and then to see if you've accidentally 'discovered' a secret recipe.

So what about when you band together with other adventurers to form a pack? Well as this pack is primarily designed for single players, we wouldn't want multiple players gaining an unfair advantage by rewarding every one of them with reward bags just for completing the same quest. Instead we thought you'd prefer to decide for yourselves how you're going to share around all that lovely 'free' loot.

Although there are a limited number of reward bags, we've been generous enough to include a second tier group of reserve bags that never run out thus ensuring that whatever bag you were meant to get, you'll never come up empty handed.

RUINS: There are heaps of ruins scattered randomly about that may or may not contain hidden treasures and of course not so hidden adversaries. There are 4 pre-made template worlds to choose from, each one slightly different to the other, or you can choose to make your own world via the 'Create New Game' button that will be different to the existing 4 worlds. Just make sure you alter the Transmutator's setting that is still preconfigured to send contestants to last years now defunct sky platform.

Want even more variety? No problem, thanks to the ruins that tend to spawn randomly as you explore further from your starting point, subsequent play thru's of the same biome will be like a box of chocolates, all melted and gooey. Hmm, that doesn't sound right, lets just say traveling to new areas will cause new ruins to spawn and they'll probably be different to the ones you discovered on your last playthrough of the same biome before you ran out of lives.

TOOLS and WEAPONS: Have you ever wondered why tinkers tools and weapons only level up 5 times? I mean, you become a master of the weapon in no time flat and that's it? Well our boffin's managed to find the key to unlocking more of those hidden levels to give you a greater incentive to keep hacking and slashing with them? How many levels? Ahh well, we wouldn't want to spoil the surprise, so we'll let you find out for yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------

I could go on and on, and I generally do but I think if you haven't been tempted to try it out by now then I'd have to offer you a humongous bribe and I'm not that rich so have a nice life anyway. For the rest of you who are eagerly scanning down here for a way to get your hands on our little known obscure pack, you'll need to have the Technic launcher to get it.

We're hoping to offer an alternative way via MyM but that's dependent on whether the administrators think its worthy of inclusion. So while we all hold our breath in anticipation you can follow the instructions below to obtain your copy of shanghaied.

---------------------------------------------------
    To Download The Technic Launcher:

1: If you don't already have the Technic Launcher go to: Download the Technic Launcher - Technic Platform

2: Scroll down the page, choose your required system and click on it to get the Technic Launcher.

To Get Shanghaied:

1. Run your Technic Launcher and click on Modpacks. Search for shanghaied from the search bar in the top left and press ENTER.

2. Click on the install button on the bottom right. Once the install sequence is completed, you'll be able to play Shanghaied.

------------------------------------------------------

We also have a page at the Minecraft Forum if you still require more information, but not much more......

Shanghaied [Survival Questing Pack] - Mod Packs - Minecraft Mods - Mapping and Modding: Java Edition - Minecraft Forum - Minecraft Forum

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    MrR20, Aerydar, BanananaBread and 5 others like this.
  2. roobarb2

roobarb2 Bah, life is over rated

Local Time:
    11:33 PM
    I saw this like, yesterday, and it looks awesome. Definitely think it should have it's own server. But this looks suspiciously copy pasta'd

3. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    Well yes. Much of it has been copy pasted from our other site. It was the quickest way we could get the information posted to MyM to let everyone on here know about what shanghaied is all about. We released it under our new name back in late June and its taken me this long to figure out how to get it listed on here as well.

Cheers.......

4. GreyWolf11

GreyWolf11 Former Staffer

Local Time:
    7:33 PM
    I’ve got this on my radar atm and look forward to test playing it just as soon as I finish up awakening! Looks really interesting
    ~Grey

After thought: Also I don’t really see an issue with it being pasta

BanananaBread and Cynnimon like this.
  5. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    12:33 AM
    There are good packs with a quest book, but there are not many good packs with a good quest book. If I had to put up a TOP 3, then that would be Blightfall, Regrowth and Shanghaied/Marooned. In no particular order. I have recommended this pack here a couple of times.

Also, why would it be bad to copy and paste your own text?

6. tonalom

tonalom Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hardcore questing pack? Where do I sign up?

No, but for real though. This looks really good, when I get some free-time I'd really like to try this pack out!

Cynnimon likes this.
  7. Supernova727

Supernova727 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:33 PM
    I have some recollection of playing the pack you mentioned this previously was, "Marooned" with similar gameplay to that which is described. If this is anything like it, it should be pretty good to have, and a good HQM pack is always nice.

8. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    LoL. when you mentioned you were going to test play it after awakening, I actually thought you'd just got up and needed to wake up fully first. Ahh, perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part, or that I've been lobotomized too many times from undergoing our patented RIP service when test playing this pack.

Now I'm wondering if I had another RIP moment by assuming roobarb2's comment about it being copy pasta'd meant I had copy pasted most of our original post. See what happens when you're out of the loop for too long?

Cheeers......

roobarb2 and GreyWolf11 like this.
  9. brandonlk

brandonlk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    if it involves exploration its not viable for multiplayer

10. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    With a farmworld, that does not have a fixed seed, but takes a new one with every reset, this pack perfectly works in our environment.

If you look up Marooned here in the forum, you will find old discussions where we found that the old pack did not work, due to quest gates and TF. All this was changed, so with a little bit of creativity I see no issue here.

Any kind of perks will however totally break this pack.

Edit: Btw I recommend starting with one of the land-based maps first. If you just start a game you have the skyblock, you find the maps if you create a game with templates. They have some slightly different challenges, for example how to get water, since some maps have no rain and infinite vanilla water sources are not a thing.

11. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Finally got your account working over here?

12. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    Yea, finally. Also managed to do a bit of a change up to the introduction to make it a bit different to the ones we have at Technic and the minecraft forum. couldn't change it too much though as its still the same pack that's driven me completely insane. Probably a good thing though as you should have seen me before then.........

13. wyndman

Local Time:
    I'm pulling for your pack to make an appearance, I mean it has Sandy's stamp of approval and all...

Cynnimon likes this.
  14. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    We've tried playing it on LAN in multiplayer and it works quite well. Certainly makes it easier to progress, but its still a struggle, especially as new weapons are hard to come by and you have to split the rewards etc.

The biggest problem as i see it is to actually get it to work in online multiplayer on a server as we failed miserably when we tried. Some conflicts that we couldn't overcome due to either the mod versions we are using or in the case of custom items, it just didn't seem to want to work with it. The pack can't live without custom items as I've added sooooo much using that particular mod.

But you never know, there are bound to be much cleverer people on here that might be interested in trying to see if they can succeed where we failed. Anyone that does succeed will most certainly earn our highest praise and of course an honorable mention on our sites.

As for only starting with a land based pack, what can I say? I've been testing out the skyworld and feel that its now been honed to the extent where its actually possible to survive beyond the first 5 minutes. Longer if you put off going thru the nether gate to earn your first reward. But yea, original Marooned started life with only the flatlands so its not a bad idea to start there and die enough times so that our technicians can really get you lobotomized sufficiently for you to want to start your next adventure cruising around the nether looking for materials to build your overworld platform.

15. wyndman

Local Time:
    With the "default" Paradise like beach are you meant to do anything in the overworld? Or just jump right through the portal?

16. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    Take a leap of faith and hope there aren't any nitro creepers at the entrance to greet your arrival, lol. Actually in my many many test runs its always been devoid of any mobs near the entrance. I've chosen this particular seed exactly for this reason, plus I thought it was kinda interesting as well.

I would suggest you eat those extra free hearts first though as they will go rotten eventually if you don't. Everything else is up to you.

Oh and the disclaimer you start with triggers the first quest in the HQM book so if there isn't one showing and you've hung that book up, you'll need to grab it again until the first quest shows up. Its usually not a problem but I had to do it this way to differentiate it from the flatlands quests.

Cheers.......

17. roobarb2

roobarb2 Bah, life is over rated

Local Time:
    Any idea how vastly having access to commands like /fly and /god would effect the difficulty of the mod pack?

18. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    Using any cheat codes does vastly affect the pack as I imagine it would to most mod packs. To quote an excerpt from our disclaimer,

Now we won't stop you from 'cheating' your way through this game, but if you make changes, you'll know you didn't play by the rules and no self justification can change that fact. So to all those contestants who WILL play the game as intended, welcome and good luck on your journey...

If we knew how to prevent cheating in the game we would have done that instead but we don't so we instead appealed to the players own sense of self worth. Its a shame minecraft is so easily cheated, as the people who go to the trouble of building great edifices by mining blocks etc have no way of proving they didn't just give themselves a wand and built it in creative so don't get the kudo's they deserve. Same goes for anyone completing our pack, only they will know whether they cheated or not so any completion in any pack that hasn't managed to remove all possibility of cheating will have the same stigma.

On a side note, if there is a way to prevent using cheat codes, we'd love to hear how we can do that.

Cheers........

19. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I think roobarb2 was referring to the fact that MyM usually sells certain perks to packs. But they always break packs, whether it is fly , god or some random kit. But that is usually up to admins/founders to decide. We had packs before where for example /god was disabled.

20. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    IC. Well I don't really as I hadn't heard about the perks until you just mentioned them but for me personally, I'd prefer to make my own flying kit whether it was a jetpack or some angel wings. Its hard to truly appreciate something if it comes too easily. Playing while invulnerable is the equivalent of just doing a walkthru without having accomplished anything along the way, not for me but I guess some ppl prefer not having to work for their achievements. I tend to steer clear of games where others can just buy themselves an edge over their competitors.

Apart from anything else I think roobarb2 is kinda jumping the gun on this one as the only person I know who is possibly currently testing the pack is wyndman and last I heard he was lost in the catacombs of the skyworlds nether. He might not emerge until late 2019 for all we know.........

Which reminds me, I know you don't like packs that are continually updated but I just couldn't help myself and I went out and found a few more incremental changes that mostly benefit the skyplatform but also has benefits for the flatlands. Doesn't break existing games although it could cause a slight hiccup if the sleeping bag/bed quest has already been completed and the reward taken. I might need to do a workaround for that possibility before releasing it though.

Hmmm, just got an idea that might work..................

Cheers..........