1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided Against Change chunkloaders to allow 2x2, 4x4 and 6x6 loading

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Sandstroem, Mar 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    6:44 AM
    Hi,

so I was thinking, sometimes I would like to have a base layout that is 2x2 or 4x4 etc, but then loading it via chunkloaders becomes a bit annoying, since I have to place a few 1x1 chunkloaders all over the place.

So here is my suggestion:
    • Add 2x2, 4x4 and 6x6 to the chunkloader menu. (6x6 on packs like GTNH for Patron 3 for example
    • Change chunkloaders in a way that you have to place them in a specific corner of the loaded area (let's say always northwest)
    • For visibility add an option into the chest gui that for a minute show the borders of the loaded chunks (or some other way to visualize the loaded area)
    Some additional considerations:
    It might be nice to get the chunkloader limits introduced on GTNH on all servers, but I think some of the lower Patron limits might need a rework. Those 36 chunks for Patron 3 are quite nice and allow for some more flexible base designs. (For example my GTNH base uses a 9x3 area with an additional 3x3 going of the side)

2. SovereignEternal

SovereignEternal Former Admin, I'll be back.

Local Time:
    9:44 PM
    I can't see this being implemented, considering it would be a severe change to the chunk-loading system. I'll go ahead and ping an @Administrator to see what they think.

3. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Tbh I dont think how this is possible - most of chunkloaders works on RADIUS, block or chunk radius.
    So its possible to set block radius to cover most of 2x2 or 4x4(or slightly more than that) but like Sovereign said - adding such options in 99,(9)% will be like performing skull trepanation without anesthesia to current chunkloading system.

best workaround would be increase the amount of chunkloading chunks - MineYourMind Chunkloaders (Keep your machines running!) — MyM-Wiki 0.0.1 documentation
    As site I paste link says - regular player have 9 chunks of online loading... well... imagine 3x3 chunk base and you cant load anything more.. so maybe increase amount of online chunkloading by 1-2 more chunks for everyone?

SovereignEternal likes this.
  4. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Did you even read my post entirely?

5. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    10:44 PM
    Playing devils advocate here, my worries in something like this is going to confuse players on where to actually set the block in which chunk. You could implement world CUI to make it nice and neat like how we do it on 1.10+ servers with GD claims. Now, I am just not sure on the placement though. Like the whole northwest for example. I think it would be OK for 2x2, but when you get to 6x6 for example, I think it could get messy. Especially for newer player's to understand.

6. LordEreh

Local Time:
    Yes, did you do the same with mine? How RADIUS of 1(odd) block can cover only 2x2,4x4,6x6 EVEN chunks? Like Aido said it would be hard to do with claims bigger than 2x2.

Like what? claim will go further and further north east with every bigger size? So chunkloader need to be paced in most south west chunk?
    [​IMG]

Is that even possible?

7. dailypeanut

dailypeanut Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    or a visual feature showing which chunks are claimed , and use a wrench to rotate the area around the chunkloader ? There should be a MyM wrench anyway !

8. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Why is that so hard to understand, the options would be 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, etc and you have to put the chunkloader into a specific corner chunk.
    Nobody is speaking of radius here. The dimensions are set by selecting them. You already set a 3x3 now with the loader in the middle and nobody is ever talking about a 1,5 radius. You are creating a problem where there is none.

9. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Yeah I agree my solution is definitely a bit less intuitive.

10. TrashGothAoife

TrashGothAoife Consultant

Local Time:
    Not sure if it is doable, but what about this. A 2 block solution (introduce a 3rd and maybe 4th block type) that you can use to indicate opposite corners?

11. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I guess that would work as well. I think the coolest solution would actually be something like the Ftb chunk loading where you can just mark chunks on a map.

12. ABadHaiku_

ABadHaiku_ Developer Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    12:44 AM
    You can use four chunkloaders for the same effect. Idk if there's any difference between that and a single-block solution.

SovereignEternal and xcb567 like this.
  13. Cantiel

Cantiel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't that require client configuration, as opposed to the current plugin?

14. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    10:44 PM
    Another problem with that is now we would depend on a map mod. Unless we made that optional

15. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    Maybe a plugin that interacts with FTB Claims such that it "claims" any area containing a player's proper claim, and then chunkloaders can read FTB maps "chunk loaded" tiles and load those? I'm no Plugin Dev, and I don't have the faintest clue how that would work even if it could, but it sounds possible at the very least.

Just to add, this would be entirely optional, and the current 3x3+ chunkloader spaces can be used. Maybe add to one of the rotational and/or contextual server messages saying that more chunkloading potential is unlocked if the FTB Claims thing is installed?

16. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:44 AM
    I think this is all just trying to make things complicated for the sake of being complicated, there's nothing at all stopping anyone claiming areas that aren't exactly 1x1, 3x3, 5x5 etc. Most players do it already without a second thought because compared to what you have to do in pretty much every modded pack its a very very minor inconvenience.

Think about whats being asked for a second, people are proposing reworking and rewriting plugins and bringing in additional mods, all for the sake of an extremely niche use-case that will make a difference to a small handful of players on the network at most, ever.

17. LordEreh

Local Time:
    I agree with Kronn - on MyM we already making many derogations, concession, rules etc. to make network running smoothly as much as it could. We have things work well over the years, sometimes new thing is much better that previously used but we need to ask the very important question right here and now:
    "Do we, really, need making changes in chunkloading system that is custom made(I mean the way how we pay for chunkloading using tickets) to already good working system to do things that are already doable with existing one, but harder?"

Few people mention the FTB Chunk, since not every(prolly less than more) server mym host have it we need another idea.

How about new block that DISABLES the chunkloading in chunk?
    That way some1 can setup the loader 3x3 and place those(idk coal block?) blocks to force the plugin to not load it and that way we can make any shape we want instead making bunch 1x1 chunkloaders around, that way you save the limited amount of chunkloaders you can have also it would be required to add those blockers into chunloading menu so you can see where you put them.
    Of course that idea also have its minuses - how it will work if some1 is in that chunk? Do plugin will properly count the chunkloading cost?

I would rather see the chunk de-loader bc so many times i wanted to build 3x3 base but with middle chunk empty to make bridges, decos or just central elevator but never done than bc of that 1 chunk that have nothing in it burning all my chunkloading tickets

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    MaulwurfRitter likes this.
  18. SovereignEternal

SovereignEternal Former Admin, I'll be back.

Local Time:
    It's not a horrible idea, bit I personally think it's fairly simple to just slap down a couple more loaders for each chunk you need loaded.

19. LordEreh

Local Time:
    Well its prolly about the limit of chunks we can have loaded and the micromanagment of chunkloaders I guess?

20. TrashGothAoife

TrashGothAoife Consultant

Local Time:
    The whole idea of linking it with a mod that may or may not be installed in the client, or using blocks to "blacklist" chunks from loading feels overly complicated for the minimal gain it would provide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.