1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Done Compact machine chunkloading?

Discussion in 'The Ferret Business' started by tyler489, Oct 1, 2015.

?

Which would you prefer

1. 0 no chunkloading

2. 1 always loading machines

3. 2 Smart loading of exterial

4. Chicken/potato

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tyler489

tyler489 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:24 AM
    compact machines have a config opion to enable chunkloading
    0 is no chunkloading
    1 is always chunkloaded
    2 is only when the machine block in the world is loaded (overworld nether etc)

i believe it is currently set to 0 is there a way we can get this set to 2 since mym has awesome chunkloaders i don't think this would be to much of an issue.

# Chunk Loading Mode: 0 = Never, 1 = Always, 2 = When machine is loaded [range: 0 ~ 2, default: 1]
    I:chunkLoadingMode=

2. LucidTheStick

LucidTheStick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:24 AM
    I only see option 0 or 2. 1 will not happen.

3. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    12:24 PM
    That's what he's asking for, setting it to 2.

4. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    @DavidJotta i know may have a thing to say about this ;)

5. tyler489

Local Time:
    yeah i agree i didnt expect one to happen even though its default...

can we get the opinion needed tag for this please.

6. Talzor869

Talzor869 Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    I like this idea, even though I do not use compact machines :)

7. tyler489

Local Time:
    out of curiosity why was this moved twice? once out then once back.

8. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    The opinions needed tag can only be applied in the feedback section, it isn't an available option in the support section, but I thought if i moved it there, set the tag and then move it back that might work but nope.

Don't really think it's needed tbh, I think 2 is kinda the obvious choice since 1 is a terrible idea and 0 kinda defeats the whole point of compact machines if they only work while you're inside them so what is there to discuss? ;)

Any @Administrator wanna weigh in on this or can you just go ahead and change it please!

9. LucidTheStick

LucidTheStick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    This post has been up less than 24 hours. Barely over 12. Feedback is good to hear.

10. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    1:24 PM
    Why not just place a chunk loader into the compact machine?

11. tyler489

Local Time:
    you can but it requires twice the loading as you need one outside and inside to transfer ìtems/power etc.not to mention those that build there ae system inside.. when it unloads/loads the stuff inside the controller has to recalculate all the stuff in the network from my understanding that probably doesnt help (lag) having to recalculate alot.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  12. PhantomRTW

PhantomRTW Retired Staff

Local Time:
    That would be reloaded anyway when the chunk the machine is in was loaded. Two chunks would still be loaded. Just instead of a manual loader, it would be loaded the same time the others were.

Compact machines are each their own dimension. So having fewer of those loaded would save server resources. Preventing machines that arent being manually chunkloaded from being loaded prevent a larger load on the server, and that one is already super laggy, as is.

13. tyler489

Local Time:
    [That would be reloaded anyway when the chunk the machine is in was loaded. Two chunks would still be loaded. Just instead of a manual loader, it would be loaded the same time the others were.[/QUOTE]
    yes but if it loads the entire ae network once it only calculates once... if its not loaded it has to recalculate over and over...

QUOTE="PhantomRTW, post: 80198, member: 6223"]Compact machines are each their own dimension. So having fewer of those loaded would save server resources. [/QUOTE]

Nope Gyazo - d908383fb08b5af099500c3bf4a7a75d.png

14. PhantomRTW

PhantomRTW Retired Staff

Local Time:
    Ahh, so they're all in a single other dimension.

Regardless. Its better to have chunks loaded "as needed" than just when someone is in that area. If someone had 15 machines (which people do.) The can only have 10 chunks loaded at a time using the chunk loaders provided. Automatically loading machines would allow poeple to load as many chunks as they wanted, and would bypass the limit. Which is there for a reason.

And even if they are in a single dimension, your argument that I quoted above is still incorrect.. The chunks would still be loaded in the exact same way, its just that one way has a limit of total chunks and requires a fuel. So unneeded chunks will not be loaded.

I believe we should keep it the way it is because Lag is a large issue on TFB, and doing anything that could add to a lag problem wouldnt be the best course of options.

15. tyler489

Local Time:
    im asking that the INTERIOR of the machine is loaded Dim3 Only when the EXTERIOR is loaded..

16. PhantomRTW

PhantomRTW Retired Staff

Local Time:
    Yes. Thats what I said.
    What if someone has 15 machines in the same chunk in the overworld? You expect that the interior of all of those machines be loaded? That would be 16 total chunks. The default limit is 10. So with that config option, what is the point of limiting loaded chunks?

17. tyler489

Local Time:
    now i understand.

18. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:24 PM
    I would love the ability to do this.... but if i wanted it that bad i would play single player.

This can not be allowed. Unless there is a way to limit how many Compact machines a player has. If not we will have players with MANY loaded chucks just because of these. To be fair i never found how resource intense this mod really is.... Does it load new worlds for each "machine" or is it like the Random things world?

19. tyler489

Local Time:
    its like the overworld but a void world each machine shares the world with each other machine Dim(3) it only loads the CHUNK in dim3 that matchest the compact machine block.

20. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    Honestly the number of chunks being loaded alone isn't what causes the lag, it's what the things in those chunks are doing that causes the lag.. you could have one player with 30 different compact machines each force loading one chunk, but if there isn't actually a load of stuff going on inside those compact machines then it still won't cause much if any lag at all, whereas you could have another player with just 1 or 2 compact machines but each with super complex setups of auto-processing machines inside and so even though they are only force loading 1 or 2 chunks, because those chunks have so much going on it will cause significant lag compared to the first player.