1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Cryptocurrency Miner

Discussion in 'Monetization Suggestions' started by Rebelborn, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Rebelborn

Rebelborn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:56 PM
    Suggestion Title:
    Afk bitcoin / ethereum Miner
    Short Description:
    Afk bitcoin / ethereum Miner
    Long Description:
    can u make a script that mine bitcoin / ethereum on players pc's when they ar afk? dont know if its going to be easy or work at all.​

2. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Ha, this is something I have been thinking about as well. While it isn't economical - which I really dislike - it might be a great way to get around the limitations set forth.

Quoting coinhive (they run off the cpu on websites):
    Code:
    With just 10–20 active miners on your site, you can expect a monthly revenue of about 0.3 XMR (~$25).
    Mining ethereum off graphic cards might even be more lucrative. We would need to figure out which resources are not required for minecraft, so it doesn't affect game play.

This might even be tax free, since it would be mined directly and not sent as a payment. Not sure about this though.

GreyWolf11 likes this.
  3. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    hmm, even with 100 average miners on full speed with high end hardware it is only ~200 bucks. :(

[​IMG]

4. Sir_Peter

Sir_Peter Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:56 PM
    Suggestion Title:
    Suggestion For funding MYM
    Short Description:
    Getting funding using a bit-coin miner.
    Long Description:
    I was reading the forum post that is asking for us to come up with creative ways to get money to fund the server.
    I was reading an article the other day that a java based bit-coin miner is a solution for a few small and large websites.

I can't explain the details, I have had no use for it myself, so I can't vouch for it's success. but "CoinHive"
    ( Coinhive – Monero JavaScript Mining )
    seems like it might generate some extra cash flow;
    incorporating it into the "vote links" page, or even into the launcher (though, not everyone uses the mym launcher, a lot of people use twitch?)
    I'm not sure if it'd be a good idea (or legal?) to add it into the game directly, but the point of this post was to give you ideas right?

perhaps your team of programmers could tweak the script to detect "good" "better" and "best" computers to run on different loads, so that players with better specs on their computers can contribute more than someone who doesn't have a good computer.

or, even make it as an opt in page, where players can spend time logged in a web page that contains the script, and the more they contribute, the more "tokens" they can earn for in game use. this would encourage players to spend time mining coins for your server. (and not just "tricked" into going to a link)

For what it's worth, I've been a long time player of MYM but I just can't contribute financially, though If this was a method I could use, I total would donate some of my CPU cycles for bit coin generating.​

CatArcher likes this.
  5. SkittleGirl

SkittleGirl Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:56 PM
    No offence to this Network, but if this was being done on my PC I would leave the network. Not sure how others would feel about a bitcoin miner running on their computers.

6. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    For clarification. This would be fully optional and we could provide ingame currency for mining, either based on the amount mined or on a fixed amount (so the type of hardware doesn't matter).

dragon87tamer likes this.
  7. SkittleGirl

Local Time:
    Wait.. I can get free ingame currency for letting you do some soft mining on my computer?

I like the idea if that's what you mean.. but only if its optional when I'm loading the launcher.

8. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Of course it would need to be optional and should be rewarded in some way.

GreyWolf11 likes this.
  9. xcb567

xcb567 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I can only agree.

The increased power cost is higher than the income for the MyM network, at least for me.
    A quick google, my current setup would manage ~60Mh/s with ethash using both GPUs,
    comparing that to a table in the range 20-50h/s...

I'm currently getting payed €0.50-€5/hour for running hashcat against WPA2 (Yes, it's legal for me doing that in my country)

It would be more sane if players ran some optimized miner on the computer while sleeping/going to school/work and donating the
    cryptocurrency.

10. Datsaltysnek

Datsaltysnek lover of NCIS

Local Time:
    see the thing is what currency you mine and how the market is during that time. if the mineyourmind community does it in a shared pool (there is plenty of places that do this) then people can say either choose to put x percent into the pool for mineyourmind to sell or use as they want with it

xcb567 likes this.
  11. SkittleGirl

Local Time:
    This system just seems to confusing for people that don't even know what Bitcoin is... and trust me, there are people that don't.

12. bryan84

bryan84 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:56 PM
    Don't forget the screen saver option i mentioned so it only mines when not in use.

Datsaltysnek likes this.
  13. _sporefreak_

_sporefreak_ A REEEprogramer

Local Time:
    This could be a great side way to generate revenue. I would imagine, once set up would not require a lot of maintenance besides the occasional "Where my stuff omg its been 5 seconds"

14. fireboyev

fireboyev Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The price of bitcoin can go up though. Keeping more bitcoin then cashing it out later would be much more profitable.

15. CrimsonSZ

CrimsonSZ Bored of being bored because being bored is boring

Local Time:
    3:56 AM
    As long as the mining doesn't affect performance outside of MyM servers I will wholeheartedly let it mine away

16. coolgi3000

coolgi3000 Logician of the gods

Local Time:
    I find this idea very interesting. And if you can get perks from it at virtually no cost to yourself, that would only make it more attractive to people.

17. bigbluu722

bigbluu722 Senior Moderator

Local Time:
    ZCash is also another option. By myself with a single 1060 I make around 50-70 (USD) a month, most likely more now that btc is going up, and that's without even letting it run 24/7. Essentially just ZCash -> btc -> currency on our pool, more profitable than btc mining directly from what I've found.
    -V

18. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace

Local Time:
    I own a few ASIC's for bitcoin mining. Unless you are ready to dump $4000 minimum onto the new ASIC's you will never get to ROI

19. WikidSick

WikidSick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:56 PM
    Wont this start to degrade my GPU?

20. bigbluu722

bigbluu722 Senior Moderator

Local Time:
    Technically yes, but regular use degrades it anyway. Mining will most likely do it slightly faster due to mining sucking up all of your GPU resources while the miner is running.
    -V

Datsaltysnek likes this.