1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Cryptocurrency Miner

Discussion in 'Monetization Suggestions' started by Rebelborn, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Sir_Peter

Sir_Peter Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:16 PM
    The way I see it, "return on investment" is never a thing with anything;
    yes, hardware eventually will fail after being used, fans will stop spinning, and hardware will burn; but that'll also happen if your computer is just sitting there idling cuss you didn't turn it off... or, if you're as unlucky as me, all my computers died after they were turned off, and they wont turn back on.
    This is meant as a method for people who don't have the ability to donate directly with real cash. (and lets face it, playing minecraft you're more likely to burn up your computer in an hour of game play on some mods / systems)

The best argument I can make for "it costs me more money in electricity than I would get back in cash" look at it from a physics point of view:
    energy is never wasted; you're generating an excessive amount of heat that is now trapped in your room. oh hey, look at that, it's winter time and my heater is literally burning gas, or using electricity just to heat my room, why not off set my heater with my computer? the total amount of energy entering my room in the grand scheme of things would be the same, just some of that energy was used to run my computer that made some bit coins.

2. WikidSick

WikidSick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:16 AM
    And plus this seems like a scummy idea of mining of from players that play on the server computers and wouldnt they recognize when their computer is being used for mining if they use youtube or something while playing Minecraft

3. bigbluu722

bigbluu722 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:16 PM
    I'm assuming it would be optional, plus a script would need to be ran to start the miner in the first place.
    -V

4. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace

Local Time:
    It would be better to kickstarter an ASIC machine for them to use to generate monthly income. The new antminer comes out in january is pushing 13.5 terrahash. BITMAIN

At current rates it would produce about $500 raw a month. It requires a 1200 watt power supply and uses almost all of it. So it would cost about $90 a month in additional electric cost bringing the profit to about 400 a month. Each month you will earn less, and if a "big player" brings a mining warehouse online your profits drop. Bitcoin Mining Calculator and Profitability Calculator - CoinWarz - SHA-256 Hash Rate 13,500.00 GH/s

So we would need to get a minimum of 3??? to generate enuff income to keep the lights on and save for the next round of bitcoin miner upgrades in 6-9 month MAX.

Then if the market drops, all this is for nothing. I was shocked when bitcoin hit $20, and its waaaaaaaaay beyond that.

Bitcoin is a gamble at best if you want a secure income.

5. Sir_Peter

Sir_Peter Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I say, if you make a coin hive account, and send me a link, I'll try it out, get some real world numbers going, and if its a total flop, at least we tried, I'm sure there would be other that would join in, even with no reward (for now)

it's not about getting special hardware or competing with giants, this is about getting extra income that we normally don't have access to (the players who want to do more than just voting)

6. Decnav

Local Time:
    then why not just have MYM make a Nicehash.io account and post the wallet to mine to?

CPU and GPU mining on NiceHash

I have a 1080ti and cant make it pay for the electric it uses

7. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    3:16 AM
    Maybe dogecoin?

LordEreh likes this.
  8. LordEreh

LordEreh To WOW or to NOT WOW?

Local Time:
    Did someone just say Doge?

[​IMG]

9. knoxz

knoxz Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    This idea is so horrible :banghead:
    10 Years ago, this might have been viable, now you lose more money on your GPU lifetime then you could make.
    Thats the reason farms only use very specific GPUs. 99% of GPUs wont earn you money in the long run.
    Not even counting higher power costs of your setup.
    You are way better off then just spending a few dollars. Even if you play and mine for the network a lot. Your power cost increase might even be higher then the amount of money you earned the network ^^
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 16, 2017 ---
    It does it considerably faster. There is a difference between idle state while running Minecraft and mining from your GPU with it running at high capacity.

Xx_Canadian_xX likes this.
  10. Uthael_Killeanea

Uthael_Killeanea Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    In some countries, power is cheaper than dirt.
    Some people may be running Minecraft on computers they don't pay the power for.
    Some kids can't afford money and their parents pay the electricity.
    Nobody has to do it specifically on a mining rig.

Could be triggered with /afk command. It would put your character in Adventure mode and freeze it in place. You could start earning some currency while enjoying chatting with other people. It also chunkloads your base (/afk would limit it to your chunk only +chunkloaders).

But if you do it in the Hub (no bases for server to load), you would free up your PC and the server of your base and would be able to mine at a faster rate.

Even better if your client is off. But this might require that mining application to be visible, which could cause some unhappiness with some people.

11. Decnav

Local Time:
    Please dont mine with out your parents permission. If they wont give you the cash for whatever online you want, then dont STEAL it by burning thru their electricity.

12. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    And their GPU. ;)

13. Xx_Canadian_xX

Xx_Canadian_xX Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    This is just a disastrous idea all around.

GPU gets degraded overtime
    Electricity costs in most countries are astronomical
    Causes performance loss on ones computer
    Underage children on the network costing their parents a fortune in electricity
    On top of all of this network would really make squat on this idea this isn't a network with 20k players. Just implementing it would be a loss.

If it's not something everyone can get involved in without costing more than they get in return, then it doesn't seem like a viable idea.

14. JamesHowell

JamesHowell Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:16 AM
  15. Datsaltysnek

Datsaltysnek lover of NCIS Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    james there could be a option and a message/mail for everyone saying that they are part of bitmineing atm and and they could do a command like /bitstop to stop mining id like this for the people who are afk 90% of the time so that way there doing something useful :p

16. xcb567

xcb567 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The sane way would be opt-in and not opt-out.
    Especially when mining can cause unexpected costs for the user I think opt-out is morally wrong and (ianal) I doubt it's legal.

The_Icy_One likes this.
  17. Uthael_Killeanea

Uthael_Killeanea Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Sure! Opt-in. I support that.

18. FuZe_Games

FuZe_Games Member

Local Time:
    Well you guys need to take into account that this will eat up peoples power bills and lower the life of that persons pc and if they knew about it they would prob stop playing mym

19. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    This was rejected like a month ago.

20. FuZe_Games

FuZe_Games Member

Local Time:
    oh rip lol