1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Go Private

Discussion in 'Monetization Suggestions' started by deepcage, Nov 4, 2017.

1. deepcage

deepcage FEAR THE PINK PANTHAR! Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    12:03 PM
    Suggestion Title:
    Go Private
    Short Description:
    Create 1 or 2 big (popular) modpack servers for the public and keep the rest private behind a donator wall.
    Long Description:
    Mojang can only enforce their policies on public servers. so give them what they want. Make 1 or more servers, free for all to play on, but no perks what-so-ever. Nothing that can conflict with mojang EULA crap and "fair" for everybody who plays there.

Create a private part (on the forums or so) where people who agree to a small donation (or buy a rank) can join all the other modded servers you have had going for the last couple of years.

Maybe revamp the patron rank (make it cheaper, so its actually less of an issue for people to buy it) and use that to give people who want to pay to play, full access to everything (except ofcourse for the public ones, or only if they dont mind playing perk-less on those public ones).

Im not entirely sure on the numbers, but there are thousands of modded servers out there that Mojang doesnt or cant touch, mainly because they are private servers. It seems that if you run privately, you can do pretty much anything you like without them doing jack sh*t about it.

Lastly about your costs, you mentioned you are barely breaking even. Maybe go 100% pay to play (not pay to win, but pay to play). Divide server upkeep and whatnot, by the amount of active players per server and tell them that unless they donate a certain amount of money a month, the server will not be running for much longer. Im certain that if costs are low enough per player, all your regular and loyal players, will chip in. Heck... even being a cheapskate myself, i probably would if it wouldnt cost more than 3-5 euro's a month. And if there are players who dont like to pay in order for you to keep your servers up and running, deny them access to certain servers and limit them to only 1 or 2 packs untill they comply and pay for server upkeep like everybody else who contributes.

Or make a donation page, where you state the total running costs of your entire network as a big number with a huge honking donation button below it. Do it like twitch does it. Keep a list of top contributors and if they really stand out by their donation, reward them with a goodie, like a t-shirt from mym or something else silly.

TL;DR Version:
    Go private servers. Use a pay-wall to give exclusive access to your modded servers for paying members only. Or make a donation page and use the donation system like twitch does it with their streamers. Also lower the amount every player would have to contribute based on the active amount of players/contributors. Lower costs per player will likely increase the chance that they will actually contribute.​

2. deepcage

Local Time:
    Also, about the part where i mentioned a donation page, i think transparency would benefit you guys. If people knew what your actual monthly running costs and income was, it might motivate people to actually donate to make you hit your month-to-month money targets.

JessTheGreat likes this.
  3. ApexMega

ApexMega Active Member

Local Time:
    4:03 AM
    would be a bit iffy, cause it could hurt some of both the current and future population. Let's say you currently play on bteam, and then the server is now pay for access, well what will you do now? server just ripped all your process unless you pay, and making your stuff hostage doesn't sound like a great way to get someone to donate. and then newer servers, lets say the new modpack server comes out and everyone has access, then a few months pass by and the server isnt one of the top modpacks anymore, so they change it to pay for access, again your stuff would be taken hostage until you pay before the 2 week deadline.

Datsaltysnek likes this.
  4. justin1707

justin1707 Member

Local Time:
    6:03 AM
    Would split the player base so much and again piss off a lot of people as i've posted on another idea with the same premise.

5. Pseudonycat

Pseudonycat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:03 AM
    No, in my opinion this is a fine idea, if the monthly cost was about 3 euros I would be fine, there would still be free to play servers that are just like the servers we have now, it would not split the playerbase, you just can't go around every post claiming this. If you want to play together maybe just do an arrangement like 1 month 1 player pays the teams membership and then another month another one pays it. This would benefit the server tons as it means a steady income that will come in every month to keep the servers alive, you have to keep in mind that now, they're giving you a whole lot of GOOD content for FREE.99 and that good content like all the different array of servers is expensive. You can't just claim that its a bad idea because you have to spend money. This is to help MyM, don't just take down ideas just because you're being selfish, Things need to change if we want MyM to Strive and live in all its glory. We can't just stay with the same mindset forever and hope it works, because that will just end in the final days of MyM. I know we can do this and i know change might seem icky and paying might seem iffy but please just don't scratch off something because it involves money, Because money talks, and without money MyM wouldn't be running like a clockwork machine 24/7. You all paid your little Club Penguin Memberships, sure the game was free, but you chose to buy them to get better stuff, so want better stuff? Premium MyM Membership is your solution.
    lots of Love,
    Pseudonycat

P.S Club penguin is an example, maybe you prefer animal Jam, that's up to you, Maybe Poptropica, maybe Roblox ( I see you with your builders club membership ) but in the end it's all the same.

Column01 and Peace7904 like this.
  6. deepcage

Local Time:
    Not sure what you are on or what you have been smoking, but none of those things ring any bells where i come from lol. I do second the rest of your message.

Pseudonycat likes this.
  7. LordEreh

LordEreh To WOW or to NOT WOW?

Local Time:
    [​IMG]
    Idk, 80% fo players will abandon MyM after that - not every1 want to play "Most popular" pack. Better was idea about making FEW Dontaor Only servers than this -you really want to end with network with 10-20 players online DAILY?

Rohen likes this.