1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GT New Horizons

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by WikidSick, Aug 29, 2017.

?

Do you want GT Horizons to be on MineYourMind

1. Yes! Most potatoly

28 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No! PLEASE NO GREGTECH

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WikidSick

WikidSick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:56 PM
    Found this awesome modpack on the Technic launcher, named GT Horizons
    Gregified modpack via Modtweaker (MODS GET GREGED) Large Modpack with every recipe Gregified

Hey guys, I'd like to open up my project and get more players. I've been working on it for 2 years and still got a lot more work to do. The pack has around 200+ mods that are carefully selected and balanced between each other and GregTech. I've created a Tiering system that follows GT. You can't get lategame stuff without lategame GT!

An example of Tiering (work in progress) is here:

Tier 0: Vanilla Minecraft, Pam's Harvestcraft, GT Flint tools

Tier 1: GT Bronze Age, TiCo, Chisel, Jabba, Twillight Forest

Tier 2: GT (LV), Railcraft, Forestry, Extra Utilities, Backpacks

Tier 3: GT (MV), Thaumcraft (+Addons), Binnie, Advanced Solar Panels, AE2

Tier 4: GT (HV), Galacticraft (+Addons), AFSU, Witchery

Tier 5: GT (EV), Gendustry, Blood Magic

The server is very complex and heavily modified. The number of mod interactions in this pack is beyond the scope of this thread.

What does this pack have to offer?

Technology

Everything you do is tied to GT as it should be. I'm using my own mods GT New Horizons Core Mod (for items) and Minetweaker GT Addon allowing me to use various GT machines I wouldn't be able to otherwise. You can also look forward to TiCo, Railcraft, Forestry, Extra Utilities, Openblocks, AE2, Buildcraft, Galacticraft with many addons, Gendustry, Steve's Carts, Open Computers and many others.

Magic

Many mods are carefully tied to Thaumcraft. Its addons like Forbidden Magic, Automagy, Thaumic Tinkerer, Thaumic Exploration, Thaumic Horizons etc. are also modified. When you've progressed enough you can reach Witchery or even Blood Magic.

Exploration

Using Realistic World Gen along with Biomes'o'Plenty creates a wonderful terrain. With Twillight Forest (that you need to conquer to reach endgame Thaumcraft), Galacticraft and other mods the server has over EIGHT dimensions. Rogue-like Dungeons and HEE with other mods' worldgen make sure you got some goodies to find.

Survival

Hunger Overhaul, Pam's Harvestcraft, Special Mobs, HEE, Infernal Mobs, Lava Monsters, Zombie Awareness. Do I need to continue? You want to roam the land and kill everything in sight with ease, build a highly advanced MagicTech base and raid all the dungeons in Minecraft? Sure, you can. You got a long journey ahead though.

TL;DR

Food is a thing in the pack during starting days, you cant see at night time w/o potions/effect. Some passive mobs explode on death, other mobs can be infernal. You'll die A LOT. Use a good strategy. Progress in magic and tech should be equal, and have the patience to read the entire readme and not use the TL;DR :p
    A Gregtech heavy modpack what would be awesome for the people of MyM but sadly it is 1.7.10 and most people dont like GregTech

2. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:56 AM
    It's on curse/twitch too!

3. WikidSick

Local Time:
    :D Didnt know! I saw it on Technic Launcher!

4. wyndman

Local Time:
    I had to go look, wanted to give this pack a whirl since it uses twilight forest I figured I better check to see what it uses from the forest to see if it is going to be a huge issue. Though truth be told I'm horrible at packs with a book attached to them, so I'm already a fan with that better questing in it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  5. alven4

alven4 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:56 PM
    It sounds like a good idea, I like gregtech, but I have a very important question. Is maintenance for GT multiblocks disabled in this pack? I really hate the maintenance and it prevents me from using any GT multiblocks that require maintenance and aren't necessary for progression.

6. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    4:56 AM
    What are everyone's thoughts on this pack?

7. wyndman

Local Time:
    Well so far I like it, but I do see some issues we'd run into as a server based pack, nothing that I know is game stopping yet, but I'm still early in the first chapter.

8. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    Maintentance looks like a pretty cool mechanic.

9. alven4

alven4 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    It is cool mechanic, but it is extremely hard to fully automate (you need matter fabricators for that and few millions of eu...). If it was reasonably hard to automate, I would be fine with that.

10. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    It's supposed to make you interact with your machinery after you have already built it. Just like IE Arc Furnace Graphite Rods.

Datsaltysnek likes this.
  11. alven4

alven4 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Can they not be put in automatically?

12. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    No, they can't, and it's intended.

13. alven4

alven4 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    That is pretty bad. Arc furnace is then downgrade for making steel from the improved blast furnace.

14. WikidSick

Local Time:
    I would like to feel the nostalgia of GregTech and play this modpack aswell as it seems interesting
    [doublepost=1504091143,1504087386][/doublepost]And I played it alittle, It seems quite awesome and challenging!

15. jayjayx5x1

jayjayx5x1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:56 PM
    I am a helper on the official modpack server. currently the most stable build is the last 1.4 build, 1.5 is still being tested and balanced. so if this were to be added i highly reccomend either waiting for the next stable build or the last 1.4 build, however there is a big change in the way certain things are made from 1.4 to 1.5 hence 1.5 still being heavily tested.
    [doublepost=1504099357][/doublepost]to be specific the current stable version that both official gtnh main servers are running is 1.4.1.1, our test server is running the latest. also not trying to promote here, but if anyone wants to test out the latest version and report bugs it is welcomed.
    [doublepost=1504100823,1504098973][/doublepost]
    it is enabled, although it lasts a long while. tbh it might not even need to be done again, i haven't had to yet myself. also one thing with this pack is that pretty much everything is locked behind tiers. thaumcraft is mv, twilight require lv etc.

16. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    Is twilight forest somehow optimized or will it have to be disabled again?

17. Evan317

Evan317 Resigned Member of MyM Staff Patron Tier 1 Booster

Local Time:
    I myself would love to see a gregtech modpack added to the network!

18. wyndman

Local Time:
    I see several small issues that will come with launching it here, and I'm only in the .5 age. Some of them I'm not entirely sure how we are going to work around yet.

19. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    Twilight Forest or TNT?

20. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    11:56 AM
    Currently playing through in singleplayer (just starting Tier 2), and from my experience there may be a few potential issues for this pack compared to other 1.7.10 packs on MyM. The first is the oregen, in that Gregtech's algorithms in the used version make standard mining techniques relatively ineffective, rather rewarding digging "bore-holes" every few chunks to discover veins, a practice that would likely lead to quite a number of holes to bedrock being left in the world.
    The oregen may also cause a potential issue with the current usage of the farmworld, as found veins would need to be either mined out completely in one trip or effectively lost due to the random nature of random tp, although this would probably only be an issue around the early stages of T1 where players largely lack inventory expansion solutions, as before this point they lack the need for more than around a stack of any ore, and afterwards there is relatively easy access to backpacks.
    Large-scale farming of animals and crops is a partial emphasis in the pack, with one early quest requiring 100 of each animal drop. This would be made much harder on the MyM servers as animals on 1.7.10 servers had a habit of disappearing randomly, possibly causing players to simply plunder the farmworld. This would likely be unsustainable as an average around 350 animals per player would need to be killed for the quest, allowing for
    a small portion of players to actually complete the quest each farmworld reset.
    The early-game reliance on finite water sources could also cause a potential issue, primarily for those who are unaware of the need for large volumes of water to create a smeltery and later run steam power, and so settle at a distance from a large water source. Railcraft water tanks, the main early-game renewable water source, also run very slowly in hot and arid environments, around 1/10 the speed of a temperate biome, again potentially causing issues for those who make the mistake of starting in deserts or Shrubland, which is actually arid despite its green appearance he fumes quietly. Outside of this, such mechanics would likely lead to lots of partially-drained water sources, causing a bit of an eyesore and a potential turn-off for new players joining the server.
    The slowdown of non-occupied chunks could also cause a potential problem, as there is an emphasis on relatively large-scale production in some early quests, with one for example requiring a little over 8 stacks of clay to be macerated, with a process time around 30 seconds each for the basic macerator. While this time can be quartered with access to a mesa biome, or through using up limited water supplies and going through a pretty tedious time crafting clay blocks 2 at a time, it can still take upwards of an hour of play, which would normally be spent by either afking, which is non-ideal for the server, or going mining, which would cause the process to slow further if the player is unaware of the need to chunkload the system to run at full speed.

I have more to write, but I'm getting paranoid about power failure at this point so will add more later.

alven4 likes this.