1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Language Filter Changes - remove certain words

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by deepcage, Nov 17, 2018.

1. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    10:52 PM
    Please remove (some or most) the following words, as they are commonly used and dont make much sense to be on the filter:

• Dumb
    • Crap
    • Noob - and its many spelling variants. Mostly used when people say "im such a noob" when messing something up. Its rarely used to offend people and then again... sticks and stones...
    • Shit - your language filter allows POO or doodoo, so why not also allow Shit?
    Cant think of any others right now, but im sure other players can add to this list.

p5k and Willshaper like this.
  2. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    yea.... nope. can we get helpfull replies please? :)

Willshaper likes this.
  3. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    4:52 PM
    MyM did in fact make that filter, Info - Global Changelog | Page 11 | MineYourMind Community here's a post about the updated filter, here's the thread that got the filter changed two years ago: Implemented - Changing a few words in the filter | MineYourMind Community

ChatFilter_de.txt · GitHub here's the link to the words that are filtered.

tonalom likes this.
  4. tonalom

tonalom Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Whoopsie, must’ve though of something else then, thanks Chugga. Will go ahead and remove my previous messages then. Though my opinion still stands, no need to use the words that were suggested.

5. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:52 PM
    The information in this post is entirely wrong, and there is absolutly no need to be so condescending and insulting towards people making a simple request. There are valid reasons for keeping some of these words in the swear filter, but "We cant do it" is simply not one of these reasons. And your holier-than-thou attitude is entirely unbecoming of a staff member. There is no need to imply that you are better than other people just because they use or want to use certain mostly inoffensive words. Get a grip and grow up.

wyndman and Willshaper like this.
  6. tonalom

tonalom Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I have already deleted my original comment as I posted it with the wrong information in mind, as well as a little favourable behaviour as has been pointed out. It was never my intention to come of as abrasive, insulting or egoistical towards deepcage, or any member for that matter, but I realise that I did. My deepest apolgies for that, I will think more thoroughly through what I am posting before doing so in the future. Again, apologies for my childish behaviour.

Fireforce likes this.
  7. Peace7904

Peace7904 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:52 PM
    I have to disagree with one of the words you suggest be removed. Sh*t is a profane word, no matter the context. Some of the other words on this list, I can understand why they are blocked but can also see them as not really needing to be put on the filter list.

8. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:52 PM
    I agree with this, and would also like to add that for some people c**p might be alittle borderline. Dumb and noob are really pretty mild and tame compared to some of the things the filter does let through.

chugga_fan likes this.
  9. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    1:52 PM
    Seriously, as far as noob is concerned, players and staff alike have suggested to simply bypass that word, by saying things like newb and the like. The word is hardly derogitory and I don't see why it would be on the filter.

Willshaper and chugga_fan like this.
  10. sporefreak

sporefreak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:52 PM
    Noob and Dumb should be allowed IMO,
    Crap and Retarded I see used wrongly often, I get why they wouldn't be allowed. (Even though I commonly use them referring to myself)
    I do not agree with any of the common swears being allowed. even if self censored.