1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Limited Server Access (full access but only one server at a time)

Discussion in 'Monetization Suggestions' started by Slind, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    3:37 PM
    Suggestion Title:
    Limited Server Access (full access but only one server at a time)
    Short Description:
    The access is limited to a single server for non paying players.
    Long Description:
    A player can not join another server in the network until he deleted the base/claim and inventory.
    We could also limit switching a server by 30 days or with a 5 day break for example.

Since these servers are independent, this should fly.​

2. ApexMega

ApexMega Active Member

Local Time:
    7:37 AM
    short description (or first sentence of long description) sounds like a bad idea, cause most of the modpacks start you off with items, so once you get in your stuck in that modpack until you clear yourself out, putting you at a disadvantage compared to a new player if you end up coming back. Though you could change it so its only the claim/base that has to be gone and not the inventory.
    Second sentence sounds like a better idea but needs a better rewording, which could be "Once you play in a modpack for over 30 minutes, you are locked into that modpack for a month before being able to switch to a different modpack (and then have to repeat the process)" cause if its second you join you locked to it then it'll suck if you go into the wrong server at the start or join the wrong server after 30 days and get locked to that one, ripping all your progress in previous server.

3. justin1707

justin1707 Member

Local Time:
    9:37 AM
    Horrible idea no offense. This would split the player base immensely and probably make you end up with a ton of dead servers because people would be afraid to try a new modpack. Not to mention this would make you lose so many players because it would piss off many.

SGamerXxX and ApexMega like this.
  4. egons_ghost

egons_ghost Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Agreed With justin on this one. I assume everyone hates starting over and this would be the tip of it. I have friends on several servers as they also do and we like others help eachother. So in order to go to that other server I have to delete my base? alot of Streamers would leave the server because they are tubing all these packs at the same time and promoting the servers. It would be easier for them to find another server.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  5. miker5231

miker5231 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    While this would definitely encourage people to pay/donate you would also lose many players as well as the amount of new players would drastically decrease. This would almost certainly be suicide for this network

edit: spelling errors

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  6. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Most players do not play on more than one server at a time.

7. justin1707

justin1707 Member

Local Time:
    This would still would pretty suicidal as @miker5231 stated. EDIT: also you could lower the slots on a lot of these servers. I notice that they don't even have close to the player limit on them.

8. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Administrator

Local Time:
    7:37 AM
    Lowering the amount of players (for MyM at least) doesn't really do anything on a server. It doesn't really eat up any resources.

9. justin1707

justin1707 Member

Local Time:
    Do you guys self host? I just figured that you purchased hosting.

10. miker5231

Local Time:
    That's very true but in my experience new players tire from modpacks quickly until they find one that best suits their playstyle. The new limited system would be very off putting to players used to other server styles. This system would also make the network a new and possibly frightening experience for long time minecraft players as well as brand new minecraft players. I am not saying that this is a bad idea in fact as a way of increasing income it is a great system but you would likely lose a large standing in the modded community and be looked at as "money hungry" even though that is far from the truth.

11. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Usually new players join for a specific pack and do not even know that we have more than that one pack ;)

12. miker5231

Local Time:
    I thank you for the quick answer but you seemed to pass by the other issues

13. LordEreh

LordEreh Return of The Doge!

Local Time:
    NEW IDEA - PAY TO GET OPTION "DISLIKE"on forum - why you can like comment but not dislike it? Pay to dislike comment, send the message the author is wrong(in your humble opinion)

I will smash that button so hard...

Slipplaysmc and Rohen like this.
  14. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    Alternative:
    Global donation goal to add a frickin' poll to all the threads in the section.

LordEreh likes this.
  15. LordEreh

LordEreh Return of The Doge!

Local Time:
    • I like this idea
    • No, just no
    • Maybe after some rework/discussion with staff
    • potato
    Something like this?

16. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    Yep

17. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:37 AM
    How about 10 open slots, patron1 have 10 more slots and patron2 another 10 slots?

Datsaltysnek likes this.
  18. egons_ghost

egons_ghost Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I play CL ,FS and DW at the same time. giggles

19. Kissqt

Kissqt Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    Yeah i think 1 is a bit too strict aswell.

3 could be good, and then increase, but i am not sure it will be a good way to generate money overall cuz it will either make the player find a new server or not pay because he doesn't need it, and it will target only a niche.

What i like about MyM is the fact that if i want to try something, i can and there is mostly all what i want. And it's more because i like the server that i want to support it. If there were limit like that on the first try, i would have probably never invested money in the server.
    I am not everyone, but i know most of donor i know did it because they like the server and wanted to support it.

20. Damadark

Damadark Active Member

Local Time:
    Well if you are saying you wish to limit the play options to 1 server yet the more people playing the more chances are they will donate even for 1 item. You also said above that most players don't even know there is another pack available and play the one pack, then you have already solved the problem and this idea is already failed. This makes this idea irrelevant which at the same time if put into place KILLS SERVERS.

What should be a better way is to not have donations work on all servers using the same limited idea of certain servers. What I am describing is to have a $1 more you get the same perks as the last server transferred or duplicated on the next server the person is now playing. When you truly think about it a perk was ment to be on the 1 server because you wish donations per server. But you do not always want to charge full prices to existing perk owners which means a discount version to expand to other game packs. This increases support for the servers. promotes the other servers for more players to be aware of and is not turning anyone away which KILLS SERVERS.