1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Make a petition for Mojang to change those rules

Discussion in 'Monetization Suggestions' started by Uthael_Killeanea, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Uthael_Killeanea

Uthael_Killeanea Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:53 PM
    Suggestion Title:
    Make a petition for Mojang to change those rules
    Short Description:
    ... And spread that petition to other private servers' forums.
    Long Description:
    Make a petition for Mojang to change the EULA a bit and post that petition to other private servers' forums using a basic account for their server.

Below is the copy of what I've sent to Mojang. Feel free to use some of that while writing that petition. Don't forget to mention that a good portion of your population never even gave you any money. And you still require legit accounts (that should be the only requirement).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I play on a modded private server with 3 of my friends. We sometimes change modpacks, but we always play some heavily modded modpack (100+ mods). Never Vanilla. We tried to host such a server ourselves a few times, but having admin rights wasn't worth the effort.

The server we are currently playing on had recieved a warning/notice about the ability for players to buy in-game advantages with real money. A part of that said: "We work for Mojang, the creators of Minecraft, helping to protect Mojang’s intellectual property rights and the Minecraft community."
    Your intelectual property ain't worth much without the community. This move ain't protecting the comunity. As far as I know, Mojang's community is mostly spread over private servers. Microsoft's community owns Vanilla (or will very soon. Java Vanilla doesn't really have a reason to exist).

The owners of long-lasting modded servers invest a lot in keeping them online. Also, good servers "encourage" people to buy original accounts to be able to play. Only because of that, we all have legit Mojang accounts.

I don't want the server we play on to be shut down for either legal or financial reasons. Players aren't interested much in buying cosmetics in this kind of Minecraft and not being able to sell anything is a good reason to stop hosting.

Personally, I bought MC for the exploration it offers. Not terrain, but gameplay exploration. I seldom use Google or Wiki to learn things.
    One friend likes to glitch stuff and find small exploits between mods.
    Another likes acting like a magician.
    And the third always focuses on progress and completing everything "important".
    Vanilla just ain't interesting enough. There are better alternatives than Minecraft for that kind of gameplay.

So, PLEASE! Give big modded servers a way to exist. Either help them with direct funding, or change the EULA. But don't take the matter into your own hands. I like the customizability as it is, with hundreds of hosts (and their policies) to chose from and without Microsoft-like restrictions.​

2. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    When it comes to business, shareholders>change.org petition.

neronix17 and p5k like this.
  3. Uthael_Killeanea

Uthael_Killeanea Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    "
    Rui replied:
    Hi Uthael,

If you'd like to submit a suggestion for Minecraft or Minecraft: Java Edition, please visit Minecraft - Suggestion Box

For general feedback for Minecraft, visit Minecraft Feedback - Official Minecraft Feedback Site

The console editions of the game are developed by 4J Studios, and generally, follow the development of the PC edition of Minecraft.

Best regards,
    Rui R
    Mojang Support
    "
    Got a reply. A long while ago, actually. Personally, I can't find the time to be busy with that anymore.
    ... So I'm posting here. If anyone is willing, feel free to do it.

4. neronix17

neronix17 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:53 PM
    No wonder you got such a generic response, you basically insinuated you pirated the game until you were forced to buy it so you could play on servers. No game developer will respond well to that and likely stop reading by that point.

I'd say it's a good idea but they're not going to listen, the problem is a few servers ruined it for the rest by cashing in as hard as they could and when kids are involved there is no defence anyone can reasonably make for doing that. They prevent manipulation of younger folks online into spending money they shouldn't need to, while also coincidentally killing servers that are only borderline violating the rules, which in turn pushes people to make their own much smaller servers for friends and oh look there's an official option for this... yeah a petition won't do anything, especially from such a small group of people when compared to the number of people who own and play minecraft in general.

Rohen likes this.
  5. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    While I'd disagree that all developers would respond badly to somebody pirating their game, I'm interested to see where they insinuated anything about piracy, because I must be missing it.

6. neronix17

Local Time:
    "Also, good servers "encourage" people to buy original accounts to be able to play. Only because of that, we all have legit Mojang accounts."

I didn't say they'd respond badly, I said they wouldn't respond well, but if you can find a developer that says "Hell yeah, pirate our game! Tell everyone to pirate it! We don't want paid for our work!" then I'll happily concede the point despite being a developer myself.

This is getting off topic though.

7. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    Darkwood developer releases its own game on Pirate Bay • Eurogamer.net

Anyhow, I read that more as a statement that big servers are the reason that people buy minecraft accounts of their own, rather than being the thing causing them to not pirate, although that's a difference of semantics that we'd probably never agree on.

8. neronix17

Local Time:
    It's not pirating if they literally offer it up for free to those who cannot afford it (being on pirate bay instead of itch.io or some other site makes zero difference if the devs put it there), or in some cases it's been leaked with a game breaking difference like that one where you played as a game developer and if it was a pirate copy you would be hit by massive drops in sales as the game went one due to pirating of the games you made.

I can see how what was said could have been meant in another way (maybe they all shared one account, which, if they played simultaneously I would have still considered pirating to me but that's a very grey area), but the context shows they were very much playing it and were simply restricted by server, why would you be looking at servers, and how would you know the server doesn't accept pirated connections, if you weren't attempting to use a pirate copy? On top of that the word 'legit', that alone was what made me re-read that section and see it as insinuation of piracy, using 'legit' specifically suggests that they were previously on an illegitimate copy. There's semantics and looking between the lines, I'm doing the latter as far as I can see.

And again, this is off topic (but I'm sure you just couldn't resist trying to prove me wrong with an exception to a sweeping statement), point is Mojang won't listen when there's zero reason for them to, the community around MyM isn't small, but it's still nothing compared to what would be required to even get their attention on the matter, the only way they might listen is if ignoring the matter causes a large scale negative impact on their public image or if it somehow benefits them, changing their position on the matter again would purely cost them time and money at the moment.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017