1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Possible Mod - GLASS (projection mod)

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Photon_Wolfsky, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Photon_Wolfsky

Photon_Wolfsky Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:33 AM
    Would a mod like this even be viable for the online environment?

It's a very nice aesthetic type mod that some people could use in a part of their bases. I've seen some other videos of it working fine on multiplayer servers (not big ones) so it does work server-side.

Unfortunately, I can only think that the performance might disqualify it immediately since it would need to integrate smoothly with large modpacks, and there's no guarantee that people with lower-end hardware could handle walking near a base using this (though, Chisel and Bits already causes problems when people go overboard - I have a 2700x and a GTX 1080 and a base on the server I play on reduces me down to 15 FPS). As far as balance in resource use, it looks like the recipes take some higher end items to craft the main parts, so that's nice.

Just a cool mod idea for cool base ideas.

sp33draft likes this.
  2. 1ne_8ight_7even

1ne_8ight_7even 06.04❤️

Local Time:
    6:33 PM
    Bro, this could be the answer for black holes!!!!

3. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
  4. Photon_Wolfsky

Photon_Wolfsky Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Yeah, I imagine mods like this could have lots of issues with other blocks or visuals. The creator just blatantly says it has issues with Optifine, so anyone using that would have to disable it. Though, I saw videos of it being used on someone's local server just fine. Didn't notice any immediate issues with it. Then again, that was also without other mods (though, I can't really see this messing with /too/ many mods in a modpack).

I'm thinking I might just add it to my Revelations instance and load a single player world with it and see how it plays with other FTB mods. This would be an amazing addition if it ends up actually working (it's listed for 1.12.2, the most common version, after all)
    [doublepost=1574660628,1574575160][/doublepost]Yeah, I just loaded it into the Revelations modpack (the server I play on as well) and, while it... works... it's pretty bad. Just as the mod creator says, it pretty much slices your frames in half (I didn't notice any lower frames between having a single projection block and 10 or even more, so that is nice). So if you are already only getting maybe 50-60 fps, which might be the case for many players on servers with average PCs, this mod would ruin their experience if they got close to a base using it (they'd have to get really close since the distance of use is actually really small).

But the main issue I found when using it was the actually performance of the mod itself. I'm guessing there's a mod conflict with it because just moving around would cause extreme flickering on and off of the projections... unusable in the most blatant way.

Unfortunately, since it seems the mod creator is not updating this mod anymore, this gem of an idea is dead before it started... but I kinda wish other mods like this existed. It wouldn't be that awful for another experienced mod creator to make something similar with actual compatibility and better optimization (maybe instead of rendering a portion of the world, it could generate a static randomly generated render of a biome type instead of a real-time projection render). At the moment, I don't want to make another suggestion thread for more generalized aesthetic mods in this type since it would pretty much be the same as me flooding the forum. So I'll just let this settle.