1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older modpacks

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by ScarletHamster12, Oct 23, 2021.

?

Would you play an older pack (1.6.4,1.7.10)

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Potato

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ScarletHamster12

ScarletHamster12 Tainted Wolf Patron Tier 3 Booster

Local Time:
    5:45 PM
    What if for some nostalgia for older players What if some packs were brought back for a limited time for example tppi or monster, I personally remember Playing tppi all the time because it was such a good pack. Just thought it may be a good thought to bring up the idea of maybe hosting some older packs on mym as well as newer ones.

2. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    2:45 PM
    Revisiting something nostalgic, while it seems like a great idea, doesn't always produce the desired effect. We have, if I remember correctly, tried revisiting some older packs, like Monster, and see them not do so well, or remakes of ones like Ultimate in newer versions, but fail for a similar reason. Likewise with old video games can often fall flat going back to later on in life. What was new and exciting at the time is now boring because games have advanced so much since then. There are some games that do stand out of this comparison, but it is something to think about with regards to trying to bring back old packs.

Another way to think about it, different Minecraft versions require different Minecraft plugins, even if they are the same, but different versions, they can easily have different limitations. As I am sure you are aware, the commands between our MC version packs are different, how some of them work is slightly different.

1.12 packs are popular, every time we release one, they get a good number of people playing them, and that is good. They often add something new, be it new mods you are maybe less familiar with, upgraded mods of those you know, or new mechanics. 1.7.10 is also popular, but to a lesser degree, so if we saw a new/exciting modpack for 1.7.10 I wouldn't be against it right away, but might be more strict with it. as for 1.6 and 1.10 I think we should not add new ones, but remove them if/when these become unsustainable. By reducing the number of versions we support would make it easier to make any global changes we make go to all our modpacks than to only a select few, like the menu upgrade which, I believe is exclusive to 1.12.

I hope this gives some thought with regards to branching out to other versions.

BookerTheGeek and mrminesheeps like this.
  3. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:45 PM

i play only them bc 1.10 and 1.12 mods and their new versions are bad imho

4. Willfon

Willfon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I finally fixed my automatic camelpack water refiller on Crash Landing. Would I play? Yes, on a regular basis. But I'd love to see some 'new' old pack. One of the good ones I never did try back then.

ElectricPoof likes this.
  5. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    Honestly, 1.12+ is the future, to ignore it entirely is to lock yourself out. You can only play Infinity so many times before you get bored.

6. LordEreh

Local Time:
    There is many 1.7.10 packs I haven't played, also many 1.12 mods are just conversions of 1.7 mods to 1.12, but theres few 1.12 changes that really grind my gears, for example Thaumcraft... I realy hated its research on 4 but when i read about the changes of 5,6... ughhhh became worst magic imo.

1.12+ is future? Ok, I stay in the past bc looking how future will be, by looking at present... yea, no thanks

7. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    I mean, to each their own. But MyM will likely stop supporting these older packs eventually, due to a waning interest, which means that economically speaking, it'd be unwise to continue hosting these older packs sometime in the near future.

8. LordEreh

Local Time:
    If that happens MyM loose another player... big deal /shrug
    Maybe dream come true and MyM will be hosting Antimatter chemistry or Chemical Exchange - both 1.12 BUT lightweight packs

9. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Also the idea that everything 1.12+ is bad is just a reactionary point of view, which might have been valid when it came out, but has not been accurate anymore for years. 1.12 is a pretty stable version at this point and not much worse (or better than 1.7)

mrminesheeps likes this.
  10. Willfon

Local Time:
    It is not just the 1.12 changes that has some people shrugging off the 1.12+ packs.

What does make a good pack? Some would say balance, other say it is challenge. But a kitchen sink pack is a kitchen sink pack and never get any better than the mods it contain and with a few honest exceptions the good 1.12+ mods are rehashes of better 1.12- mods. SF4 had some fun twists but the twist I liked the best was the compact machine start, which we didn't have on here. I prefer a good story to a hard challenge though and lets be fair. When was the last time you saw a modpack with a good story? (
    1.12 SevTech, even though in theory it does not have a story, just a required progression.
    ) No, fifteen pages of "make 99 swirly holes in a 15x15 crafting grid, because" is not a good story.

But then again, even a good story in 1.12- does not make a good pack playable here. We cant really do Blightfall here, can we?

So when you ask would I play a 1.7 .10 pack my question is "which ones?"

mrminesheeps likes this.
  11. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    I feel the issue lies in the preconceived notion that Expert packs always have to have that mega grind at the end. I love your description too; "No, fifteen pages of 'make 99 swirly holes in a 15x15 crafting grid, because' is not a good story" because like, yeah, it's so, so crappy. Every time I see a pack with the endless list of swirly holes for its' endgame, I roll my eyes and audibly groan because I know they couldn't apparently find a better solution. The reason why pre-1.12+ packs tended to be good was because Avaritia, the mommy of swirly holes, didn't exist in most packs until much later.

Also, to mention your reasoning of "1.12+ being rehashed 1.7 mods" I'd like to point out a lot of 1.7 mods are... and, hear me out here... rehashes of pre-1.7 mods. That's how the modding community works; If they want Thermal Expansion from 1.4.7 or 1.5.2 to be on 1.7, then the devs port it to 1.7. Upgrading mods from previous MC versions is Modded MC's bread and butter, tbf. New mods are bound to sprout up, but old mods are established and known, so you'll almost always see ye olde Applied Energistics or Thermal Expansion on the newer versions.

Willfon likes this.
  12. Willfon

Local Time:
    For example Better With Mods, I mean, Better With Wolves :D

sp33draft and mrminesheeps like this.
  13. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Most people that complain about new versions having the same old mods again, are probably the first ones that whine when applied energistics is not in a pack.

mrminesheeps likes this.
  14. LordEreh

Local Time:
    I see more complains about not having veinminer than AE in pack

mrminesheeps likes this.
  15. Willfon

Local Time:
    but why is rum Tinkers gone?

16. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps Helper

Local Time:
    If this isn't true, I don't know what is lmfao. Veinminer is nice, but I ain't gonna throw a fit if it's not here lol.

17. Annie_Gaming79

Annie_Gaming79 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:45 PM
    I'm gonna jump here. Bringing back older packs would be great. But Lirael and mrminesheeps both have a point. Things die sadly. And those old things are always better/newer in the future. I'm not against the idea. i love it. But with the eco for the server. It wouldn't be great. Yeah a older pack could be the most popular server on here for a week then it dies. What does that mean now? well a dead server with no one ever playing it. Wasting money on keeping up a server is stupid when they could use that money on newer servers (if you get my drift)

For alot of players like myself and my gf. We can't run the newer packs and we can't afford new machines. Like alot of players. And because of that MYM would saldy lose some players. Not overly alot but some. So atleast adding either newer or older packs in (that isnt hungry for ram and stuff) or keeping what there is would be great.

It's defo a must think about and consider on doing. But if it doesn't get put in then we ain't really missing much. We got everything already just updated.

18. Annie_Gaming79

Annie_Gaming79 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:45 PM
    Veinminer is awesome until you remove half of your base cause of it XD

sp33draft likes this.
  19. LordEreh

Local Time:
    Tbh honest the most accurate presentantion what will happen when old pack is revived is the Regrowth @Sandstroem revived in the past.

I dont memeber the whole time but at the begining it had decent amount of player.

20. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I think the regrowth Revival worked, but reseting the old server would have had a similar effect. There are however not that many retired packs here that had such a big history.