1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Pay to Play

Discussion in 'Monetization Suggestions' started by Jaiegen, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Jaiegen

Jaiegen Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    4:26 PM
    Suggestion Title:
    Pay to Play
    Short Description:
    I hate this...this stuff is a bunch of junk, but I guess it is Mojang's product. Anyway....This is my suggestion...If you can do it...Is it possible to charge like 2 dollars to access a new MYM server. So like for instance....I paid 2 dollars to play Direwolf20 for 6 months....but now I want to try a new pack. I go to Regrowth and it costs 2 dollars to access the server. Every 6 months you ask again for a 2 dollar payments to access each individual pack. Its not fun to ask to pay but to make money this is something I would do. 2 bucks honestly is not a lot of money. So 2 bucks for 6 months of play on each server, seems like a money maker for me. I would pay for that​

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
    Tipsied, Decnav, GreyWolf11 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tipsied

Tipsied Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:26 PM
    We could then offer something along the lines of "donate X amount of money and get unlimited access to all our servers" if we went this route

3. Jaiegen

Jaiegen Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    4:26 PM
    But would that go against the stupid "fair access" rule that Mojang has? Either way I do like that idea. It would just have to be substantial donation IMO

4. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    10:26 PM
    It would go against it. Unless you'd pay [current amount of servers]*480$ for lifetime access and your lifetime access status would only apply to servers that are currently a part of the network.

(480$ because the max. human lifespan as of year 2017 is 120 years, one year has 12 months, 12/6=2 and the cost per 6 months would be 2$)

5. Uthael_Killeanea

Uthael_Killeanea Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    While trying to change some stuff on my client, I came accross this (InGame Info XML):

"(...) Modpacks: you can freely include any of the mods in your mod pack if the modpack is free (public or private). (...)"

Here's the link:
    Overview - InGame Info XML - Mods - Projects - Minecraft CurseForge
    And it's probably not the only one.

6. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    9:26 PM
    This would definitely breach quite a few mods' licenses, most of us use licences free for general use, but with no commercial use allowed in most cases. Mod licenses are likely to actually be more enforceable than Minecraft's EULA in these cases, since they are provided without purchase.

7. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:26 PM
    Nope.

We are not charging access to the modpack, as that is free on curse.

We are charging access to the server, which is 100% acceptable.

Mijikai likes this.
  8. Uthael_Killeanea

Uthael_Killeanea Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Son of a lawyer, you're right!