1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Done Recent Rollbacks and accidental Duping

Discussion in 'MC Eternal' started by Akago, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Akago

Akago Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    So, there's been a ton of recent rollbacks with memory leaks and other issues. I'm assuming staff are working on the issue and trying to solve it, but there's something I noticed with the rollbacks. The world does rollback as expected (unfortunate, but), but it seems player data does not. This leads to uncomfortable situations where duping can occur at no fault of the player and unpredictably. (I hope I didn't give too much detail on how to manage this, I know glitches aren't supposed to be publicly posted.) For example, I accidentally duped 15 stacks of emerald. I binned the extra because they were ill-gotten gains, but nonetheless.

With this in mind, I would like to suggest an official statement on what to do with accidentally duped items, possibly added to the duping rule. The rule of 'don't do it' is very clear, and the unofficial agreement seems to be to bin them. But none the less, an official ruling on the issue would be nice that if you know the items are duped, this action should be taken.

As far as the crashes themselves... maybe it would be possible to trigger a restart automatically by reading memory and hitting the button before it gets to critical mass to try and lessen the rollbacks? It would probably be possible to write a plugin that monitors memory and TPS, and triggers a restart if a certain critical value is passed for too long. For determining the best critical value, I would suggest a passive logging program to start with that logs the TPS and memory in a file that can be studied so an average of the TPS and memory could be taken. Perhaps run that for a week, taking a reading every minute, resulting in 10,080 readings to average from while throwing out anything that statistically is a heavy outlyer. Going with standard deviation for a moment, probably anything past the 2nd or 3rd standard deviation.

This wouldn't stop the other issues per se and the TPS monitor would need to be very conservative so it didn't excessively restart the server based on someone lagging out the place, but if memory leaks are found to be the problem, it might be a solution.

2. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    9:21 AM
    Well you did state: ". The world does rollback as expected (unfortunate, but), but it seems player data does not. This leads to uncomfortable situations where duping can occur at no fault of the player and unpredictably."

In my opinion when a rollback dupes something, its not your fault. Just delete the duped items or report it and then delete them. Or if you're a naughty person, dont mention it and try to get away with it (its not that hard lol). Staff dont have an active dupe radar app or anything. Unless you tell em, they will likely not notice.

3. Cantiel

Cantiel Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:21 AM
    in most rollback situation i lost more items than i got lucky dupes.
    there were so many rollbacks shortly after i placed some expensive machines in kappa packs, just to have them deleted by the rollbacks, and needing to recraft them. so if there's an occasional lucky dupe, i'd rather consider it as compensation for my losses XD

deepcage likes this.
  4. Akago

Akago Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:21 AM
    This is one of the reasons I ask. Because I was loath to throw out that much emerald when it wasn't my fault if happened and I had just lost a bunch of resources from the rollback. But would staff be okay with this mentality?

5. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    12:21 AM
    No ones going to ban you for keeping rollback dupes...unless you're intentionally crashing server to cause it. :)

We ask players to delete them out of fairness, but no one has ever been banned for not deleting rollback dupes. This isn't something you really need to worry about.

LunaBlossoms likes this.