1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback Server instability and monetization

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Hillgrove, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Hillgrove

Hillgrove Active Member

Local Time:
    9:23 AM
    Hi,

First of all.. I'm a man that only recently started playing Minecraft(MC) - And mainly modded social MC. I've been to quite a few servers over the last year, enjoying different modpacks. I found this network 1-2 weeks ago, when looking for a server that had Agrarian Skies 2. I really like the social aspect of the network, and that I don't have to go hunting for a new place when I finish my current mod.

In fact I like it so much that I'm thinking about signing up for a patreon account. I don't mind in the least donating, if I feel the provided service is worth it.

But...

I've experienced my share of issues even though I've only started. These issues are not some I've encountered on the other servers I've been playing on - at least not to the same degree. I might have been unlucky and the problems I've encountered are not normal.. I don't know. But before I decide on if I want to help keep these servers running I need to know if I can expect the same performance looking forward.

A short list of some of the issues I've had:

a) very slow mobspawning. Slower than any server or modpack I've been on before.

b) Issues with chunks not resetting properly. I restarted my Island when I thought I was in a bad chunk due to (a), but the spawn was the same. Instead I now had falling zombies in the distance (away from platform) and my planted trees got automatically cut down by an invisible Stone Cutter that I had on my previous island.

(c) slowing of chunks not being present in. This is a first for me and seems to be a stable of the network when talking to others. I don't like that I'm more or less being railroaded into using chunkloaders (and thus vote and/or pay) to keep a neighboring chunk fully loaded. I can only guess that this issue will grow as my bases and islands grow. On the other hand this 'feature' could also lead to having every machine and automated task in a single chunk.. which is also bad (TPS wise).

(d) Server timeouts, crashes, and server not coming up after scheduled restart. I know... Murphy's Law almost dictates that these are inevitable, especially in a community as big as this. But they are far more frequent than any I've experienced before - even on heavy modpacks with loads of people. And the AS2 server is not that crowded.

I know that to some this could seem like I'm just complaining and being ungrateful. But I truly want to stay here, and help pay for the upkeep of what I think could be my home away from home for quite some time.

But I have no interest in paying if the service/quality I receive is worse than that of a free server (albeit it single server network).

So... can you reassure me that I've just been unlucky, or are issues such as these (and others I haven't experienced) a norm on this network?

TLDR: If you don't have the attention span to read a 10 min text, then this post is not aimed at you.

Timmypwn likes this.
  2. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:23 AM
    This could be caused by a variety of reasons, poor mob trap design, the number of mobs loaded in the surrounding areas, the number of players online etc. There is a mob limit per chunk, and on the server in general. Most issues though I find are the way a mob farm is setup, either they are using odd designs or not respecting the the distance from a player required to spawn mobs.

This one is a bit of a random occurrence, it also can be triggered by being very unlucky about when you run the command, do it too close to a world save and things get a bit hairy. I've never really found the exact cause outside of that, but it does happen on other skyblocks too so it isn't limited to AS2 or even 1.7.10 (meaning it isn't the plugin generating the islands).

This is intended, it is part vanilla and part by design, the chunk you are in will load at full speed the ones surrounding you will not without being chunkloaded. The price in tickets for keeping a chunk loaded is variable depending on the loaded entities, but regardless it is very unlikely you're going to be forced to vote every day to keep your chunks loaded, and it sure beats the alternative. Modded minecraft is server heavy, this is why MyM is largely unique in allowing any form of chunkloading. I've seen plenty of other places either outright ban chunkloading or use EULA violating methods to keep chunks loaded. I might be unique, but I don't generally load more than one or two chunks at a time outside the one I'm working in simply because I never thought it was necessary.

The timeouts are a recent development and we're working on resolving the issue as it seems to be an issue outside of the network. The crashes today were related to HQM, and unfortunately while they aren't common they do happen. There's really only two reasons AS2 crashes, bad HQM names for parties (the mod really is that terribly done on 1.7) or someone mutates a tree in their forestry tree farm and when it gets harvested the machine freaks out seeing this weird now silken leaf and just crashes the server rather than dealing with it. So yes a string of bad luck on that end.

BookerTheGeek likes this.
  3. AceOfBases

AceOfBases CDO: OCD alphabetized as it ought to be.

Local Time:
    12:23 AM
    We'd love to have you on MyM, and I laughed out loud at your TLDR. And, I mean no disrespect to Wyndman who certainly knows his way around the network. That being said, my experience is that MyM loads a BUBBLE around you. It's not even the chunk you're in. Go too high, in the same chunk as you are standing, and that wind turbine stops working. I've experienced this firsthand on multiple servers. Throw an iron chunkloader in that chunk, that you are standing in at y:69 , and all of a sudden your wind turbine starts working up at y:160. So, do be prepared for that. However, as you're considering supporting the network, as I have done, I think you'll find that the nuisance is minimal to keep a single chunk loaded. Yes, it's not ideal, but it is easy enough to locate your core critical stuff in a single chunk without being a bad TPS apple.

4. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    2:23 AM
    I can say that out of the many servers and networks I've played on, or worked at, that this the one that I'll always comes back to.

Does it have issues? Yes. But all public servers with more then 10 people on a pack do.

This is the only network I would spend my money to support. I get patron as I can afford it and as I need it (currently at AIT so not to much time to play. But when I'm done I'll be back to being a patron)

And on skyblock, just put your machines in 9 or less chunks. Or more if you donate. It is actually less of a tps kill to make a one chunk base then to spread it out interestingly enough.

Either way welcome to the network and hope to see you around! Make sure to jump onto the discord.

5. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    Join us on Enigmatica 2 Experty Skyblock. We need more players there.

Timmypwn likes this.
  6. Timmypwn

Timmypwn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    i love your post, i know this network always tries its best to become better, we all have the same goal. Quality servers in which everyone can enjoy modded minecraft.
    As you are new the chunkload thing might suprised you, but don't worry its all ment to keep the server as stable as possible(think what would happen if everyone could just claim 20x20 chunks if they want and make GIANT lagg machines without anything to limit that. Just keep your base multiplayer viable and tickets for chunkloaders are no problem at all.

Just something thats always on my mind.
    Before MyM so on other servers (and before EULA) there was alot of crazy stuff with chunkloaders, especially because modded was still developing but items would be locked behind paywalls so servers could pay their bills(ive been on other servers that would make you able to buy every item, especially the famous railcraft chunkloaders, IC supertool.

as i said love your post, criticism is really important, i would recommend you to try this network out, so much packs, helpfull and professional staff. it's a network not just a basement server.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  7. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:23 AM
    I can assure you letting people chunk load willie nilly causes havoc, you can ask any youtube personality that has a patreon server how there server runs when they let their paying fans run wild.

Timmypwn likes this.