1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SevTech: Ages Now Open for Everyone!

Discussion in 'Server Info' started by SirWill, Aug 28, 2018.

1. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    10:41 PM
    As SevTech: Ages has been almost empty for a while now we decided with the confirmation of patrons to make the server public.

You can now join our SevTech: Ages server without Patron if your computer can handle the modpack with this ip:

Server IP: sevtech.mym.li

Disclaimer: SevTech: Ages is a forced progression modpack which might prevent you from progressing for days if issues arise.

2. cpuman

cpuman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:41 PM
    I've been playing on the server for a couple days now and the times that I have been online I've seen at least 3 people join new and then leave after about 5 minutes never to return. I think it would help alleviate the problem of new players joining if the overworld wasn't claim required to do anything. It's very tedious to have to always use the farm world for pretty much everything except mob hunting.

The nature's compass doesn't function properly in the farm world either because it hasn't lead me to the actual biome but instead to some random field, and you cant use it in the overworld unless you are standing in a claimed area. I get that you want to keep the overworld from being mined to death but in all honesty there are already rules about mass mining in the overworld that would cover this (maybe just make a small adendum to the rules for that server specifically). I imagine that you could atleast remove the various tree's/grass/rocks/sticks from the "you can't break this" rule so that people can at least get a start in the overworld.

Also spawn needs to be improved quite a bit, the only information are two signs and neither of which tells you HOW to claim(flint shovel) which you would imagine is obvious but it's not because everyone is used to using the gold shovel. The design is pleasing but really could do with some improvements on information, suggestion is more signs with more detailed information and a more attention drawing design (maybe a redstone contraption that flashes on and off)

Something like:
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

mutedcurmudgeon likes this.
  3. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The overworld protection serves two purposes, one it keeps the overworld from being mined and destroyed by players, secondarily it forces players to claim their things. Let me expand on these things as SevTech is different than other packs.

Overworld destruction happens on every pack, it is true. Players don't read or ignore the rules about it and staff has to eventually clean the area up and make it look semi natural. On SevTech this is magnified, water is not infinite, resources are not infinite, and are marked by the piles of the resource protruding from the ground. Sticks and stones that are on the ground are the only way for a player to actually start. While this might seem overly restrictive, imagine an overworld where these weren't protected oceans and rivers would be drained and resources stripped by players because it was easier than tping into the farmworld. There was also the concern over intentionally trolling other players by destroying resource markers, water etc. Though this is traditionally not an issue with a Patron server, you pay to get in you tend to behave better, on a public server with hundreds of players filtering in and out with less regard it gets messy quick!

Claiming, claiming is an issue on every modpack as well, players forget to claim, don't feel the need to claim etc. Sevtech forces you to claim your items. This takes a tremendous amount of pressure off the staff to hand out vacation passes for players who figured they could take the easy way out, or accidentally destroying someones base. Temptation tends to rise on forced progression packs, the forced claiming fixes that.

As for spawn etc those things could use a little housekeeping with the pack being public now, it wasn't needed as patron since the community at large would explain to all the newer folks, or someone from staff was omnipresent.

Rekalty likes this.
  4. cpuman

cpuman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for taking the time to address my post. I understand completely why the claim forcing is a real thing, but couldn't basic things like grass (the actual grass, not the block), the little rocks and sticks, and maybe even wood be excluded from this? I'm not saying water because I get that its finite for a reason, but the small items I mentioned excluding wood are so abundant yet so necessary for the basics of starting out that you literally have to live in the farm world at the beginning to be able to even start, and then you have to find a place to live in the overworld and hope that you don't die due to bad luck with the rtp command.

People have been dying due to being teleported either waay too high or underground inside water (a guy literally died inside a 2x2 spot of water underground). While this isn't a problem for me (T5 Donator ftw) normal people without the handy /fly or /god command will die, which leads to not being incompetent but being unlucky due to server and not actual luck. As for the explaining to new folks, I do as much as possible but I can't be on all the time and mostly those people who just leave don't end up asking questions because they think the server/pack is broken (because they don't read the 2 signs).

5. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The RTP issue appears to be a very recent thing, as we use the same plugin on our 1.10+ servers without an issue. Technically water is safe.. it is the things inside the water that are not! Let me see if I can shake the dev who made it to potentially change it a bit.