1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback SevTech

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by paplaukes, Jan 19, 2020.

1. paplaukes

paplaukes Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:39 PM
    This could be a very long post but in short, the current server is not really a SevTech pack experience.
    First and major issue is the worldgen. I'm not why the server was kept up past day 1-2 just because of this alone. It's supposed to be all biomes ranging from this to that along the temperature and humidity axis. It's mostly plains here. That's both a very different world look and very progression blocking - had to go to ridiculous lengths to get something as silly as 2-4 dark oak planks, for example.
    Second issue is there barely are any mobs. That means no bear paxels in early ages (2 weeks of playing and still not enough materials for a single one), no wolf pelt armours, no trading pelts with villagers. Anything that needs mob drops requires workarounds. Necronomicon (4 abyssal mob drops) took 4 nights to craft. To be fair to MyM, I looked through all SevTech servers I could find and didn't see a single major one that has mobs at night. Only small/private servers manage to do it. There's a big gameplay difference between 3-5 mobs swarming anyone wandering around after dark (typical MC experience) vs spending the entire night seeking mobs out and finding two, tops.

All in all I don't think it's fair to returning members or new players coming from all these voted server lists to keep a server like this up. Warn them, at least. It's just a flawed experience with no knowing beforehand. I came back after a long MC hiatus to try this pack with a friend, knowing MyM is a good place to be. Nothing but good experiences in the past. I wish I didn't take this long before finding out how SevTech is really supposed to look and feel.

2. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    2:39 PM
    Hello papalaukes,

There's an issue with Sponge and JustEnoughIDS that causes worldgen to be all plains. The reason the servers were being worked on recently is because I had generated new farmworlds with default worldgen so players had access to all biomes, and mod stuff, that they needed. The Overworld itself will need a reset and regeneration, which will delete all players bases, in order to fix that world. So that may not happen.

I suspect from your post you only searched the Overworld. Which, unfortunately, is mostly plains at the moment for reasons described above. However, we also have a Farmworld which has default worldgen. So, if you go to the world /spawn you will find a sign that will randomly teleport you to the Farmworld. You can also use the command /rtp farmworld. You should be able to find plenty of everything there.

Let me know if that helps or not.

HanoverFist69

3. paplaukes

paplaukes Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:39 PM
    I got helped with a ticket and I'm aware of the admin work done on this, and I'm grateful for it. I just think the server is fundamentally broken and beyond fixing.

Yes, the workarounds included a lot of /rtp farmworld to find what I needed. The new farmworld was probably improved, but it's still a crutch and overall it's not a fun gameplay experience to do that. Speaking of new farmworld - it also probably messed with block id's or something, and as a result the world has huge swathes of pumpkins all over the place in place where reeds were. We had a huge tree in base - that's gone, leaves stayed, but turned into stone that's slow as obsidian to mine out with current tech. Had crates of all farmed materials and every ore vein ever mined in game, multiple stacks for each ore - all turned to stone now.

To expand on mobs - had <10 animals in fenced, roofed enclosures on claimed land. Was never sure what I was returning to since over time cows, sheep, donkeys, buffalos and horses all went missing. Horses in particular were fun for they took hours to find and ~5k blocks to drag them on leads to base.

I know it'd have to be a clean wipe and I can't advocate for it since there are other players still stranded on the server. It's just a whole lot of sunk cost, though, including all the admin work that will inevitably have to go into this in the future.

Not yet mentioned - other realms. I think Twilight Forest is similarly borked - biome thing, also saw no native mobs in there. Or maybe they just don't spawn? Just realized my friend and I spent hours porting around the betweenlands - not a single mob and no druid circles (another progression blocking thing? not sure on this).

It's just not a good look on MyM to keep this up and open to new players. It's not on par with other packs here nor other SevTech servers elsewhere.