1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Sponsored Server

Discussion in 'Monetization Suggestions' started by Slind, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    2:49 PM
    Suggestion Title:
    Sponsored Server
    Short Description:
    Sponsored servers are payed for by one player who controls the access list.
    Long Description:
    50€ setup, 50€ monthly operation.

Spent money is available for server upgrades. Further upgrades can be bought for additonal money.

Depending on interest we could tier this by limiting slots, world size or offering a different level of hardware (hdd vs ssd, 2gb mem vs 4gb, amd vs intel).​

2. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I was wondering whether this also includes packs that usually don't work on MyM? Would I finally be able to get my Blightfall server? :D

3. Xx_Canadian_xX

Xx_Canadian_xX Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:49 AM
    I also had the same question.. I want to have ATM3 or other mod packs.

4. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    I'm not able to answer this. We would need to see if admin resources allow it. New packs (especially special ones like blightfall) always require a lot of work.

5. Xx_Canadian_xX

Local Time:
    Will we have choices over items on our servers? full control of banned items or worlds?

6. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Too early to say. The initial version would be as is, with control over the whitelist. Any additional features would need to be developed and therefor require time and free dev resources.

7. Xx_Canadian_xX

Local Time:
    I like the idea, but would only run a server with no banned items.

The way I see it, if someone breaks the rules, should it be duping or griefing their going to get banned anyway... banning items only causes frustration and helps with avoidance but doesn't solve the issues should someone want to find a way to do it anyway.

I believe in freedom of choice or democracy whatever one calls it if i was to sponsor my own servers.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  8. wyndman

wyndman Administrator Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    The issue I foresee with this line is at fifty dollars a month the owner is either going to want full time staff attention, or we have to make the distinction of offering hosting and not support.

BookerTheGeek likes this.
  9. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    What I could see here is to limit support to server-related issues and totally/partially ignoring anything grief related.

There are a lot of other specifics that might need to be adressed. Can the "sponsor" just unwhitelist someone whenever he/she wants to?

I like the idea, but a lot of scenarios would have to be discussed first.

10. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Administrator

Local Time:
    6:49 AM
    A couple more things we could possibly add to this.
    Have a new Forum section for these servers so the Owner can add them to the whitelist or do whatever with. Give that person forum mod for that specific forum.
    Just an idea

11. Xx_Canadian_xX

Local Time:

I really dont think sponsor should have any Creative mode, or Control over the server when it comes to bans, cause this can affect the MYM brand. I would basically only let the server sponsor decide what pack they want, and what they want banned in terms of items. Everything else would just be how MYM would run it, and depending on the required resources (since all packs require different resources) will decide on how much that person pays.

12. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Well the idea here was to let the sponsor decide who plays and who not, and in my opinion this is the main thing that makes this suggestion attractive. It also might open up packs that haven't worked before.

And I wasnt suggesting that the sponsor can ban people, it was more that he doesnt get support if someone of his whitelisted players griefs someone.

At the same time there still needs to be some kind of protection for people that get suddenly unwhitelisted, just because the sponsor felt like it.

13. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    1:49 PM
    What would distinguish this from other server hosting providers? I can see the benefits of the MyM team setting up the server, but this otherwise seems to be about twice the cost of other hosting packages.

14. Xx_Canadian_xX

Local Time:
    The player base, and community that comes along with it.

15. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Managed (when the server crashes we resolve it), performance patches, way better hardware..

16. Xx_Canadian_xX

Local Time:
    I think this option along with other options can be combined to have multiple sources of income for the network.

17. LordEreh

LordEreh MyM's very Doge

Local Time:
    Like wyd said - if someone will pay he/se will expect 24/7 maintenance plus some pack are... buggy/not suitable, balanced for multi... but it;s your problem if you will add this feature...

18. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:49 AM
    I for one love this Idea, and will be sponsoring a pack, or two, when this becomes an option.

Along those lines, I feel that the following would work;
    • Would be able to determine the Whitelist
    • Only banned items would be ones that for sure crash the server
    • Once Whitelisted, only able to remove people from the whitelist if they fail to follow the MyM rules
      • Removal from the server would also result in a temp ban from the network
    • Farmworld on request, along with scheduled resets of those worlds if requested.
    • Specify world type if multiple world types are an option.
    • Can ask for Specific (Non-Game Breaking) config changes that do not have to match on the client
    • Can have specific Items added to the market
    • Determine if the server has claims, or is PvP or PvE
    As a maybe...
    • Add in Server side plugins/mods per admin approval
    • Specify extra client side mods for the pack
    Things that I would not expect to have access to...
    • Back end access
    • Creative (On a non creative build server)
    • Individual perks not allowed to everybody on the server

Another though. If I am sponsoring a server, I would sorta expect either a Staff member with console access to be able to respond within a reasonable timeframe to issues, along with some way to access staff if there is an issue resulting in the server being down for more then 15 minutes. How that works is up to debate.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Sandstroem and Xx_Canadian_xX like this.
  19. mrminesheeps

mrminesheeps The Meme Lord

Local Time:
    Another idea if this is where mym goes, is that all players whitelisted on a sponsored server get the same donor perks as the sponsor (the idea in this would be to shut up Mojang's EULA hounds)

20. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I think that is implied, but good idea. But should be set to what the Sponsor asks it to be set to.

mrminesheeps likes this.