1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting multi-server setup

Discussion in 'Server Info' started by Slind, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    11:03 AM
    Moin moin,

some time ago I already talked about splitting up the monster server into multiple servers to balance the tps. The last couple of days I cracked the milestone for it. But still, I don´t know how well it works, so I will start implementing it slowly. It is already implemented in our B-Team Server which we already splitted because of overgrowding. I got no complains about it yet, so I assume that it works fine. However we will implement it slowy:

As starter there will be a Monster Server with the same setup as the current one, but just for people with min. tier2. This has multiple reasons, first I think they earn it the most to get a lagless experience of the modpack. Secondly the whole system is still in developement and I don´t know how well it works, so I want to keep possible problems small.

However if the "vip" server runs fine next to the main server, we might start creating a quarry or second public monster server, so that we have twice the power as at the moment.

:14: All this doesn´t mean that you can start building massive now, play fair and don´t overstate!

Shared things between the servers:
    • Inventory
    • Market
    • Global Chat
    • Claimblocks
    • Permissions

So how do you move to the new server ?
    It´s quite simple, you just use monster-plus.mineyourmind.net as IP adress and should have the inventory from the main server. It would be possible to connect via. the lobby but there are mods which don´t like that, so I recommend everyone to use the direct connect way.

One small problem:
    There is only one small problem, if you are in a world which only exists on one of the servers and try to connect to the other one you will disconnect with an internal error. So if you get "internal error" on connecting to one of the servers, make sure that you are in a world which exists on both servers. If everything breaks, try the nether or end. Edit: the buildworld should work now, too.

If you notice any issues, please report them to us via. the forums.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Looks like the global chat doesnt works (/ch g ?).

How about Nether on M+ ? Make own portal ?

And to get to the depot we need to log to M1 i guess ?

3. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    yeah the chat worked on the testserver, I´m waiting for a >50 players online time to look into it, as I need to restart the proxy a few times.
    The portals should work fine. We only created them at the spawn as they did not work on the main server.
    About the depot, I or better @SirWilli will add something today.

4. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Great :punch:[DOUBLEPOST=1393792230,1393784733][/DOUBLEPOST]Claims kinda messed up.

I got around 2,2k Claimblocks on old Monster. Abandoned all claims there and on M+ i got only 840, which is now my limit on old Monster too -.-

Looks like the M+ value has been synced.

5. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    10:03 AM
    Just curious, but being the super-helpful kind of guy that I am (hint hint, give me a Helper- tag please ;)), say I'm on Monster+ and someone over on Monster1 is asking for help with something in chat, do I need to log out of Monster+ and then log in to Monster1 to go help them, or will /tpa work to allow me to teleport to them from one server to the other... or, if direct cross-server /tpa isn't viable, will there be anything like a /monster command to instantly shift to Monster1 and then a /monster+ command to get back again, without having to actually disconnect??

Also, have you considered the possibility of offering "guest passes" to allow non-donators to enter Monster+ temporarily for a small in-game fee (e.g. 50MyMs for 1 hour access), if I have a friend on Monster1 for example who would like to see my base on Monster+ or make temporary use of my machines etc?

6. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    the claims should be fixed, how did you switch the server ?

sorry, you have to disconnect and reconnect, as it takes some time to save the data and if you connect with a command to the other server you loose your inventory and all that stuff and some of the mods won´t work anymore for you.
    we haven´t thought about guest access yet we can do that as soon as we know that the system works.

7. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    10:03 AM
    Ahh fair enough, that makes sense actually.

I think I'm gonna stick to M1 for now until more people start moving over cause it's pretty lonely over there right now lol, also the cross server global chat doesn't appear to be working....

8. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    yeah, the chat worked on the testserver, I don´t know why it isn´t working here. However I´m waiting for a >50 players online point to make further testing as I have to restart the proxy a lot.

9. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Yay, Claimblocks fixed :)

10. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    chat should work now, not perfect but it works.

11. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Chat broken again after restart : Hear some folks from B-Team but noone from M1.

12. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    Hmm, I don't see the bteam chat but also not the monster.