1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Suggestion] A way to fix the quest resets

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by shade_of_ox, Mar 9, 2015.

1. shade_of_ox

shade_of_ox New Member

Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    So apparently there's a bug with HQM that causes quests to reset after 1024 unique people join the server. So here's a way to fix that:
    - Make a list of people who have joined the server.
    - When someone joins the server, if their name is already on the list, it moves to the front. If it isn't, it is added.
    - If the list is already, say, 1000 people long (to leave a buffer), then the player who is last on the list is removed from the list when a new player joins.
    - If your name is not on the list, all of your player details get deleted, INCLUDING THEIR HQM DATA.
    - This will have 2 effects:
    1: Since the server will only ever have records of 1000 people at a time, there will never be 1024 unique players at the same time. Therefore the HQM bug will never occur.
    2: Players who are inactive for a long time don't waste server memory with their quest data, as you have to play pretty often in order to stay on the list.
    I don't see any problem with this, as I'm pretty sure the server doesn't have 1000 people who play all that often.
    Is there any problem with the idea? I'm not seeing any.

chugga_fan likes this.
  2. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    1:48 AM
    Info - Server offline, long save duration, Quest Book resets | MineYourMind Community
    1. This limit was removed a long time ago.
    2. We can't, we don't have the source code and are not allowed to modify it
    3. We have a reset system, players that haven't been on the server for +1 week get removed from the questbook, we did implement this to speed up the questbook save which took minutes.
    4. The resets are not related to the amount of data stored, it is related to corrupted data being saved or it corrupting on save. There are - for example - multiple entries with the same id. Entries with encoding issues (name => ??????????) and entire entries being NULL
    What should happen is that the creators switch to a more robust file format to avoid those issues.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  3. shade_of_ox

shade_of_ox New Member

Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    Allright, well thanks for giving me a straight answer. :)