1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thread/Wiki page explaining how the ChunkLoader's algorithm works?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by ReiDaTecnologia, Sep 25, 2020.

1. ReiDaTecnologia

ReiDaTecnologia Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:47 AM
    According to Han, there's currently no page explaining how the chunkloader algorithm works so Suggestion Time!
    This explanation would be useful to increase the performance, i think spreading the tile/entities could help (Like the idea of tp/moving the mobs to be killed in another chunk from deepcage) but it's all guess without knowing the algorithm.
    This suggestion is pretty hard (probably the most hard one i suggested yet) so i understand if u guys don't want to do it or don't have time for it (or have more important thread/wiki page to create than this one).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  2. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    3:47 PM
    He got that method from me, after i showed it to him on Po3K :D So technically you quoted the wrong source :D

I do think that chunkloading costs, based on entities per chunk, is ridiculous and it really puts late-game players in a spot where they either dont chunkload anymore, or they just quit the pack and move on. Also when someone tripled all chunkloading costs, just because it would get the network more votes was a stupid idea and should be rolled back. If people dont wanna vote, they dont wanna vote. Stop forcing them please.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  3. ReiDaTecnologia

ReiDaTecnologia Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:47 AM
    Edited :p

4. Lachim_Heigrim

Lachim_Heigrim Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    While information about chunkloading algo might be quite technical and not for everyone I'm joining @ReiDaTecnologia with this request. Just brief info about how it principally works, whether it affects only loaded area or also neigboring chunks and how it compares to default algo.

Speaking of chunkloading being on MyM for several years now taught me to chunkload immediately and to some extent I'm surprised there is no initial block of iron given to players in the starting package. I came to MyM originally to play Galactic Science and just could not figure out why my trees were not growing, infested leaves were not spreading and I almost quit as it seemed buggy etc. From that time I diligently explain to people new to MyM servers they should read about chunkloading, multiportals and teleportation commands as they work principally different to what you find in local worlds and possibly other servers.

Chunkloading may also be the reason behind some duplication issues, at least from what I've seen. If that is indeed the case knowing the algo can help us prevent duplication as it breaks automation systems which obviously everyone is building in modded. And MyM seems to mostly pick packs centered around base building.

Speaking of duplication after seeing the end-game rule dropped I was thinking about asking for review of disabled items. I feel these two "rules" are similar - MyM used to "control" player's experience but I feel that's now changing. If someone decides to cheat their game experience with duplication it's their decision - Minecraft is a sandbox game after all. I'm not speaking black and white here and do understand some items might cause severe performance issues due to duplication and agree those should stay disabled

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  5. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    7:47 AM
    Many disabled items cannot be unbanned due to exploits, crashes, etc. If we are able to enable it, then the voting option to reenable it is active in /banneditems. I think that's about the best we can do when it comes to disabled items.

Lachim_Heigrim likes this.
  6. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    So that voting option... Is that even used? Do you guys actually look at that? or care about it? Seems like its something thats there, but serves no current function other than saying, we want this back... But when do you guys act on this?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  7. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    7:47 AM
    These are the banned items sorted by vote counts. As you can see all the ones that a decent amount of votes can't be unbanned for various reasons. Dupe, Stability, Mem leaks, etc. Most of the others only have a few votes.
    [​IMG]

Kazeodori likes this.
  8. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Bloody hell, I did not know we have such feature!

THE MORE YOU KNOW!

Kazeodori likes this.