1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valid Tiered donation system with global perks

Discussion in 'Monetization Suggestions' started by Sandstroem, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    10:27 PM
    Suggestion Title:
    Tiered donation system with global perks
    Short Description:
    Introduce a tiered donation system (similar to Kickstarter) but with global perks
    Long Description:

Inspiration:

So let me start by quoting Krhymez from here: https://mineyourmind.net/forum/threads/lets-talk-server-monetisation.27551/

Concept:

My idea is to set up some kind of a kickstarter-like monthly system, where people can donate and if certain goals are reached, then certain perks are unlocked globally for everyone in the next month.

So basically like "donate from November 1 to November 30", and then add tiers like
    50 euro reached - everyone gets a daily resource pack
    100 euro reached - everyone gets a daily resource plus pack
    200 euro reached - everyone gets a daily mobdrops and resource plus pack
    etc
    etc
    1000 euro reached - everyone gets fly and everything above
    2000 euro reached - everyone gets fly and god and everything above

Of course this numbers have to be carefully calculated. The goal which allows to safely secure the money we need should be somewhere in the middle. If we reach the final godmode tier, then this month we would generate more money than we need to safe it for colder days.

I am sure a lot of players would be okay with donating to reach a goal which unlocks a monthly perk, even if everyone gets the perk.

Update:

After a discussion in Teamspeak and a suggestion from a player (credit to @Dart6672 ), I would like to update this with an slightly improved version.

The idea is not to donate on a monthly basis for the next month, but to regularly check the current donation level and update the perk tier as soon as possible. This gives donators a more instant feedback, especially those who don't want to donate for something one month away.
    Each month the perks reset to zero.
    A slight disadvantage though here is that the further you get into a month, the less attractive it is to donate, since the time you get the perks gets smaller.
    An idea to solve that could be, use the daily upgrade system until the middle of the month, every donation from the 15th counts for the next month.

Cost estimation:

Here is also an estimation what my general idea costs us:

- A webpage with a donation button, which also shows the current reached level and all the stuff that people can get.
    - A person that regularly checks the current status and runs a command that globally unlocks certain perks for all players. This could even be automated.

All this could most likely easily be accomplished with what we currently have, maybe some minor dev work required.​

2. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Administrator

Local Time:
    2:27 PM
    Seems like a good idea to me. Nothing from what I can tell break EULA

p5k likes this.
  3. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    updated with an improved suggestion that works with more regular perk upgrades
    also added some estimation what the whole thing costs us
    added some formatting for better readability

bryan84 and Aidoneus like this.
  4. Monkey_Banana1

Monkey_Banana1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:27 AM
    I like this one +1 Like :)

5. _sporefreak_

_sporefreak_ A REEEprogramer

Local Time:
    3:27 PM
    I feel adding fly and other perks to players automatically would break gameplay for certain users. It should require players to "/accept donations" to actually recieve the perks.
    I love the idea.

6. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Well, you always have to run the commands anyway to use them. But good point.

7. _sporefreak_

Local Time:
    Some people *Cough*myself*Cough* Use perks if they are available, even they they make the game less fun. for me, If I have something, I use it.

8. Tipsied

Tipsied Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:27 PM
    I like this idea. The possibilities are endless and fun. We could create a tab on the website for highest donator this month and overall and maybe some unlockable achievements for those who like that kind of thing. We could also do server challenges to see which servers has the highest donations. I think donators are and will continue to be a huge part of this network, so giving a little more back to them and shining a little more spotlight on them is important imo. We could also add an anonymous feature when donating for the players who would not like to be in the spotlight.

neronix17, Ronodil and Cantiel like this.
  9. _sporefreak_

Local Time:
    A "Top donator: (Username)" Cycling through the server messages would be cool too.

10. bryan84

bryan84 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    {DELETED BY POSTER)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Decnav, Monkey_Banana1 and Tipsied like this.
  11. Tipsied

Tipsied Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:27 PM
    I really like this idea, though financially, it may be a problem with so many servers

Monkey_Banana1 likes this.
  12. Monkey_Banana1

Monkey_Banana1 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:27 AM
    I really do like this idea aswell +1
    Possibly we could have that option used in the more popular servers. Infinity, B team... etc.

13. egons_ghost

egons_ghost Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:27 PM
    Great idea except 1 question. Does a perk Expire? Like most I have been playing for 2 years on this server and I was gone for a couple of months due to Family issues. I came back. So would that server perk still be activated or Should we cancel it out after someone goes M.I.A after say 6mths?

14. justin1707

justin1707 Member

Local Time:
    This would definitely work very well. You could give those who donate some perk that doesn't give them an advantage like

*Better access to staff (Don't believe this would be an advantage over other players as it has nothing to do with actual gameplay)
    *Ability to customize/change nametags

15. bryan84

Local Time:
    {DELETED BY POSTER)

16. _sporefreak_

Local Time:
    I would still see this as an issue, for the donator servers it would be great (Which could be good) but the non donator servers would have so many people on them they would be terrible.

17. bryan84

Local Time:
    {DELETED BY POSTER)

18. egons_ghost

egons_ghost Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Yes Bryan is right that it will encourage Non donators to be donators BUT it will also encourage Non Donators to go to other servers and tell other servers the negatives about this server which will start a domino effect on us. We need to look out for both Donators and Non donators though because even the non donators share the positive out comes and effects with other friends.

The server will not survive on just donations alone, we need the promoters also.

19. bryan84

Local Time:
    {DELETED BY POSTER)

20. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I like the idea to introduce this system on a server basis, and not on a network basis. But I don't think that multiple servers makes any sense. The idea is to encourage players to donate and everyone gets the perks.

Also I do strongly disagree with the idea that humans are only self-interested creatures, but that is a topic for another day.