1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Done Trying to figure out crop growth

Discussion in 'Forever Stranded' started by All_Mighty_POWA, May 21, 2017.

1. All_Mighty_POWA

All_Mighty_POWA Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:08 PM
    As title says, I'm trying to figure this out and it's not making sense to me.
    I'm assuming the crops are dying due to temperature. Following this premise I tried making this setup
    [​IMG]
    but I noticed the coils don't seem do be doing anything...
    Here's why:
    [​IMG]
    (with cooling coil on) vs
    [​IMG]
    (without cooling coil on)
    The only thing that changed on the debugger on the left was the time (because it took me a bit to take the screen shot)
    Another test I made was with the temperature regulator, as before, it didn't change the stats.
    I based my research mostly on these two links: Heating & Cooling Coils · Glitchfiend/ToughAsNails Wiki · GitHub

2. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:08 PM
    Thankfully I can explain this to you. Cooling coils are really for the player. Turn them on in an enclosed place they start coming the room. Effects do not stack, so one is enough,but I've not done the math to see how many cubic feet they cool. I've never needed to cool my crops. Heating coils work for the player as well add crops during the cold winter months. There's a catch to using them however. They need to have a roof over both crops and coils to be effective. If I remember we had a roof with a five block clearance and that kept our potatoes alive year round.

3. All_Mighty_POWA

Local Time:
    So you're saying when using the season detectors to turn on and off the coils I should be able to keep the room temperature regulated so that crops won't die? Cause I tried that xD my room might've been too big though, now that I think about it

4. wyndman

Local Time:
    I found the season detector to not always work properly. We had mixed results with it. I found watching the seasons manually caused less issues.

5. JamesYong

JamesYong Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:08 AM
    my crops are growing under my base around y47 with cooling coil 24hr turn on using fertilizer dirt.

6. All_Mighty_POWA

Local Time:

7. JamesYong

Local Time:
    the problem is... the place might get cold very fast till freezing even in hot weather. lol

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

8. I think that living near a water body will solve all these extreme temperature issues.

9. wyndman

Local Time:
    Jumping in a pool of water with cooling coils turned on will bring you to hypothermia rather quickly.

Blizzix_ likes this.
  10. JamesYong

Local Time:
    not all crop can grow normally in cold room. wheat, carrot will die in cold room but soy bean, hemp, potato, melon and pumpkin grow normally.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

11. wyndman

Local Time:
    From our testing server, not live... pams crops ignore temperature, as do pumpkins and melons. Carrots, beets,wheat, and potatoes require heating coils in the cold months.