1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Done [Update]: Building Gadgets Invisible Unbreakable Blocks (observations and suggestions)

Discussion in 'Project Ozone 3' started by Somnioblivio, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Somnioblivio

Somnioblivio Mad-Titan Thanos

Local Time:
    2:51 PM
    Solution: Make sure that any chunks you are working in are chunkloaded (with MyM chunk loader blocks) this seems to have eliminated 99% of the issue...

(i have still had maybe 1-2 blocks that still ghosted... but that is waaaaaay down from like 1 in 200 to about 1 in 2000 or more... so, take this 'solution' for what its worth)

---------------------

As a followup to my previous thread that was marked "Done", im sorry to report that it appears that the bug yet lives on.

Observations
    After playing around with this mod some more (under the assumption that it was patched/fixed/whatever) and encountering the ghost blocks problem a number of times, i can say with fairly high confidence that the bug is related to a spike in latency/skipped ticks.

Details:
    If the server skips ticks during the 2nd and 3rd steps that all builder's gadgets are doin work, its process doesn't complete.

the tools work on the following order:
    * Step 1: (ticks 1~2) Flag the area to do the work
    * Step 2: (ticks 3~16) set flagged blocks to the animated "unbreakable effect block" and let animation play out
    * Step 3: (ticks 16~20) set flagged blocks to desired end-state <--This is the crucial spot.

Possible Error-handling failures
    The mod has pretty good error handling best i can tell it has a loop-back function that has it check for those unbreakable blocks again if it detects a tick-skip/lag spike and goes back a replaces them as intended. However, and this is the crappy bit, if there is a successive lag spike, or an extended tick skip (guessing 3k ms or more) its error handling process fails and the blocks do not get properly exchanged.

Obviously, without access to the console, this is all barely more than observational supposition predicated on the assumption that any GriefPrevention issues/settings were rectified and are not interfering (which is still a possible culprit...)

Appeal to consider a more creative solution:
    The long and short of all of this is that its going to be a tricky bit to figure out best i can tell, and this mod is pretty crucial as the standard exchangers from Thermal have been left out leaving only mid-game Botania as a viable alternative. The bummer there is that building tools should be got as early as possible so the player can plan out the base-layout easier (as is intended) so just saying "meh, get Botania nub" is not really in the spirit of the design (full disclosure, i'll admit my bias here which is leaning heavily on wanting to use these tools)

Fix(es)
    Spit-balling on how to get around this issue and thus not render the mod unusable,a couple of solutions come to mind:

* Render the blocks breakable:
    Code:
    /cf block-break buildinggadgets:effectblock true override
    (Though I'm not sure if this has to be executed on every boot-up, or if its a static configuration that carries between restarts.)

* Triggered Removal:
    Command block trigger that can be activated by player from spawn or somewhere else (in a smart way that doesnt allow for abuse)

a. set block:
    set all blocks within a range of a player (@p ~ ~ ~ etc...) from 3211 to minecraft:air​
    -or-
    b. world edit:
    //sel radius or box around player
    //replace 3211 air​

The reasoning behind this is that the effect-block is has no purpose in the world and thus a carte-blanche replacement of the effectblock to air does not affect any game mechanics whatsoever.

I hope this wall of text is at-least helpful.

You know me, I hate to come to the forums fussin' about something without having a possible solution or two to go with the observation.

Let me know.

-Som

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    6:51 AM
    Hi Somnioblivio,

We applied another fix for this , but without being able to reproduce it reliably in-game it's difficult to know if we got it or not. Please let us know if you still have this issue or not.

HanoverFist69

3. Somnioblivio

Local Time:
    [​IMG]

it appears to still be happening. At this point i just would like to be able to clear the ghost blocks myself as i hate to have to put in a ticket to have them removed.

does "/cf block-break buildinggadgets:effectblock true override"

not work?

(also, if you are online, i could use a hand breaking these and 1 other in the next room over :3)

4. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    6:51 AM
    Hello Somnioblivio,

Wow, I can't believe it's still an issue. I'll explain what we've done so far. The first thing we did was add the fake player info so the Gadget itself could break the blocks inside claims. That didn't work even though it should have in theory. So the next step was to blacklist the blocks in the grief protection plugin. EVERYTHING should be able to break these blocks now. Nothing should be stopping anything from breaking these blocks. A strong gust of wind should be able to break these blocks. Yet they still won't break...

We chose that route rather than using the slash command you posted because it will be easier to implement on every server, and future servers, by it doing this way. It should accomplish the same thing though - allowing anything to break the invisible blocks.

We'll get this figured out though. Give us some time to sort out our best option for solving this.

HanoverFist69

NOTE: We've had zero luck reproducing this since it seems lag dependent. So if there's any info you can provide that'll help us reproduce this that would help. I'll go inspect the blocks you currently have in your base. Maybe they'll provide some info we can use.

EDIT: Some info to help in our investigation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    7:51 AM
    Let me take a look!

6. Aidoneus

Local Time:
    OK, I think I fixed it this time around. (Again)

7. Somnioblivio

Local Time:
    shall I test it?

8. Aidoneus

Local Time:
    If you can

9. Somnioblivio

Local Time:
    i will shortly!!
    [doublepost=1562344150,1562298061][/doublepost]So i decided to take a nap instead. after coming back it seems to be working ... better ... but there are still instances where it seems to stall after the effect block finishes its animation and the replacement of the intended block.

[​IMG]

Any ideas about how to allow a player to clear these blocks in their own claim somehow?

sidenote: i wonder if this is related? Make effect Blocks use TileEntities instead of Entities · Issue #317 · Direwolf20-MC/BuildingGadgets · GitHub
    After reading, maybe, but i cant seem to find many complaints about this error elsewhere, and this push is for a 1.14 update, so who knows.

Botania is just around the corner... its a bummer that the wand doesnt work with the dank/null like these builders do.

i'm still hopeful that we will find a solution!

10. Aidoneus

Local Time:
    Mind pinging me the next time you are online? I would like to try to fix this while you are online, as I can't reproduce this but you seem to be able to do it.

11. Somnioblivio

Local Time:
    i am online!

12. Veraz

Veraz Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    1:51 PM
    I found out you can actually break the blocks, it just takes about as long as punching a block of obsidian. This also works with veinmeiner too.

13. Somnioblivio

Local Time:
    That must be a recent change. Can you post a screenshot of you breaking one with a progress bar or something?

14. Veraz

Veraz Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    1:51 PM
    There is nothing to show that it's working, but if you keep going it will break.