1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided Against Vein miner

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by Snowpeh, Aug 31, 2015.

?

Would you like to see Vein Miner added to your favorite server?

Poll closed Sep 7, 2015.
  1. Yes, I would love to use Vein Miner

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. No, I would hate the advantage it gives (makes special tools like lumber axe useless)

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. Snowpeh

Snowpeh New Member

Local Time:
    1:45 PM
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    6:45 PM
    Vein miner is already in the Crundeecraft and Skyfactory modpacks, but as far as every other pack goes it would be up to the modpack creators themselves to add it, if we added it to a pack ourselves then everyone would be forced to use the MyM launcher to connect to our servers or otherwise go to the trouble of installing vein miner separately, which would severely inhibit our ability to entice new users to our servers since most people who play on MyM start off doing so through the FTB launcher.

As for having /fly on Agrarian/Skyblock servers this is a topic that comes up every couple of months, but ultimately we have always felt that it goes so against the spirit of the packs that we've always decided to keep it disabled.

One possible alternative might be to have a special daily /kit fly on those servers for tier 4 players that gives a potion flask of flight (~10 minute duration per dose with 8 doses per flask) as a sort of compromise.. sure it wouldn't let you fly all the time but it would still be very useful if you save it until you can make the best use out of it.

3. Snowpeh

Snowpeh New Member

Local Time:
    thanks for the reply but as for vein miner i had installed it separately on my account and it later said i should just suggest this but for new users its just like adding map mods or inv tweaks its mostly to their liking

4. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    Oh right I see, if it's a mod that's optional then yes that might be possible, though that's up to the higher ups to decide on.

5. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    7:45 PM
    Vein Miner needs to be available on the server to work. If we allow connecting with it, it wouldn't work unless the server has the mod, too. :/

6. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    I tested myself by disabling it in my Skyfactory client, it would seem there are no negative consequences to not having the vein miner mod installed when connecting to a server that has it, it just means those that don't have it won't be able to use the vein miner ability so their tools will just function like normal.

In theory we could put the mod on all servers and then have it as an optional mod for people who use the MyM Launcher, while people who use other launchers would have to either switch to ours or manually install it if they wanted to use the vein mining feature themselves or simply manage without it.

7. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    ahh, interesting. I guess the question is now, do we want it? Does it change the gameplay too much?

8. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    Objectively it just makes the game a bit faster early on by allowing you to spend less time mining if you can find some good veins to mine with it, going into mid-game though most people make quarries as soon as they can and after that its usefulness drops off a little anyway.

It's already on Crundee like I said and people all seem to like it there.

9. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    I see. I added a poll, feel free to change the question and choices.

10. Nezraddin

Nezraddin New Member

Local Time:
    I'm actually not a big fan of veinminer. For me it's a simple reason: It makes many craftable tools not needed anymore.
    Like the lumberaxe from tinkers' construct for trees, the special tool (where you can use energy for getting a veinminer-effect) from mekanism and all these things.

Of course it's just my personal feeling, I used it once for a short time and since then I pretty much always deactivated the hotkey to activate it, so I don't use it accidently. I prefer going for the search of tools/baubles and such stuff where I can increase my mining-efficiency.
    Even between mods that brings such tools in it's quiet a competition of "what mod brings the best result for the lowest costs", so I personally don't like veinminer for giving you so much power just for the cost of that you need to eat more food (if the increased hunger-use for it is activated)

11. knoxz

knoxz Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    if you want to use it. make sure the server default option is to activate on hotkey and make sure you change it on update again.
    with shift only it is really easy to accidently destroy half of your base ;-)

BetaPetey and Mouro like this.
  12. Talzor869

Talzor869 Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    12:45 PM
    I would agree to adding this as an optional mod.

13. Adrianfish

Adrianfish Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I do like the idea of adding this as it just speeds things up especially early game where you can go mining for resources u can create your own mine instead of just surching forever in pregenerated mines.

And it's also nice I find instead of needing a regular axe and a lumber axe you just need one what saves up inventory space and the hassle of switching tools or forgetting the one at your base.

14. ItsNora_

ItsNora_ Names not actually Noah Booster

Local Time:
    I personally HATE the idea of Vein miner in ANY pack... It takes away from the actual feel of Minecraft.. Sure it can hasten things up a bit. But Im a man of hard work and more play (not really true) but still.. Id rather see this mod not be added to MyM servers..

BetaPetey and AlphaRue like this.
  15. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    And when you do this you'll want to get it removed instead

16. KeithAgnew

KeithAgnew Active Member

Local Time:
    I would prefer normal mining was working properly, not the current 'break the same block 6 times' situation.

17. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    That only happens if the tps is low, of which is caused by people who are careless, don't know any better, or intentionally trying to kill the server, do /tps and if it's less than 10 do /ticket and tell the staff about it so that they can help fix it ASAP, can't do much more to help with that than to tell staff that it's occuring

18. knoxz

knoxz Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    thats why you use hotkeys for it :p

19. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    accidents like that can still happen anyways :p

20. KeithAgnew

KeithAgnew Active Member

Local Time:
    so how does this veinminer work, does it break a mass of blocks at once?
    Is that not going to make the TPS even worse?