Implemented ReactorCraft Fusion Reactor

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Ipozi, May 30, 2014.

1. Ipozi

Ipozi New Member

Local Time:
    2:48 AM
    Since this thread has yet to be made I would like to ask the @Admin and Staff for the official ruling on the legality of Fusion Reactors. I would also like to hear the community's opinion on their use in-game.

A few points I would like to make include:
    • The Fusion Reactor is hands-down the ultimate symbol of reaching the end-game with regards to Manufacturing and Processing. If you've managed to make one, congratulations!
    • The Reactor requires some basic knowledge and practice with real world processes. If these are ignored it can lead to some pretty catastrophic damage to both your base and the server's ability to perform well.
    • On start (and possibly prior) the FR can take over a significant chunk of a server's resources.
    • The ReactorCraft power gens are one of the few (possibly the only) way to generate an insane amount of RF/t which may very well be needed to power a large endgame base.
    • The power gen of the reactor itself is not the only resource hog, trying to convert Joules into RF - and storing it - will also consume a vast amount of resources. I know this from personal experience and I only had a reactor with 1/10 the power gen possibility of a FR.
    • Unless it's very existence chews through server resources I see no reason why a FR should not be allowed to be built even if it can't be turned on. It's a very cool machine that shows off your wealth and knowledge of both Rotary and ReactorCraft.
    Feel free to shout out your opinions, I'd like to hear every possible view on this!
    - Ipozi

2. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    8:48 AM
    How much server resources it takes depends mostly on how proper it is set up.

3. Ipozi

Ipozi New Member

Local Time:
    Does that mean that there is a possibility for a reactor to run continuously?

4. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    Maybe @caithleen has some time to say something to this topic as he had one on the old server.

5. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    imo the fusion reactor should be allowed but seening as caith is the only one who has built one before we should wait for his/her opinion

6. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Hey there,

the fusion gen is a real beast ;)

TPS dropped on empty Monster2 (with only me online) to 15 by simply firing it up and that resulted in a chain reaction making it working not 100% properly, dunno if if has improved in the new monster version , thoo. Its still kinda new an i know that Reika is still working on it activly.

Beside the Fusion, theres the turbines. A Fusion in a small (!!!) sample configuration can power enough turbines to output 5M RF/t (think it was 34?). With about 10 turbines and no fusion running on m+ we also allready saw the tps drop. Turbines, while also a great power source with other RC reactors early on, can be very bad to the server, esp. if the steam isnt recycled or voided properly (some thousand moving steam entities -.-).

On m2 we had a co-admin hand out creative power cells after he saw that a certain power source was achieved and could be consistantly powered.

A side note : After you built that beast ... youre essentially done with monster, theres no real use for the 5m rf yet ;)

7. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    caith do you NEED turbines to use the power?

8. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    yes the fusion essentially creates heat ... lots of ... which you transform to steam (about 80b/s water needed!)

9. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    well caith scince you know so much about the fusion reactor, in like a week could you help me and my basemates setup the tritium and deutrium for the reactor because that's the part me and alpha tried to do but failed... messily and crashed the server... alot with, so can you help if we get allowed to make the fusion reactor?

10. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    7:48 AM
    Yes you do, the whole point of Reika's mods is they're supposed to be true to life.

Just as how it would work in real life, you can't just expect a direct conversion from fusion reaction to usable energy, you must first use the heat of the reaction to turn water into massive amounts of steam, which when used to turn a turbine connected to a dynamo will then produce the usable electrical energy through Faraday's law of induction.

11. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    ok

12. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    My personal opinion on this matter is as follows, if you want to build a fusion reactor purely for the sake of building a fusion reactor, then fair enough, but other than being allowed to turn it on once or twice for a couple of minutes just to prove that it actually works, I'd say you should then leave it permanently turned off, and as caith mentioned, I will do as I did on the last version and give you an infinityMJsource to meet whatever power requirements your base has thereafter!

13. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    ok..... you do know though our base eats through enough power in our ME system alone to power the rest of east?

14. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    :p

15. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    ik and it doesn't give much power at all as ipozi stated back on m+ and he had 2 of them... 1 turbine alone with a pebblebed produces more than 2 infinity mj sources according to him which our bigreactor produces as much as it can

16. chaosblad3

Local Time:
    That's cause ipozi had the infinityMJsource sending its power through transfer nodes, which while technically the (non-wireless) transfer method with the highest bandwidth (32k rf/t) is still limited.

The way I had my infinityMJsource setup on M+ had it INSIDE of a large capacitor bank, meaning it was directly touching the capacitor which meant the only limit was how much the capacitor bank could accept directly, which obviously is dependent on its size, but potentially much higher.

Then there is the fact that you can link them to tesseracts and use them to distribute power since they have no transfer limit at all.

At the end of the day, you have to accept that there are limits to what we can allow you to do... if your base is using more than 400k rf/t then you are breaking the rules, pure and simple:

17. Ipozi

Ipozi New Member

Local Time:
    The transfer nodes I was using were buggy, use Ender IO conduits and you'll have true infinite power.

18. caithleen

caithleen Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Thats exactly how to do it. The Deuterium and Tritium is kinda easy, theres a samples breeder setup in my base as well as a plutonium based one for it. Feel free to drop it a visit, im not into MC currently, sorry ;)

19. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    i know but the reason for this is because of well, me and 12 other people live in an absolutely HUGE base to fulfill all of our needs making it suck up this power ammount and our full base if all on that 1 source probibly DOES fill that 400k rf/t i mean really the AE alone stores 260k AE just to stock itsself in case of a break of power and the ae uses 1322 rf/t...

20. Ipozi

Ipozi New Member

Local Time:
    why is 400krf/t your limit? Even one turbine can produce far more than that, an infinite MJsource can produce far more than that. EnderIO conduits have NO input limit and NO bandwidth limit, they only have an output limit.

I can definitively say you will not have an issue with the infinite MJ source or Ender IO conduits.