future of Civilizations

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by johnfg10, Apr 24, 2016.

?

1.7.10 or 1.9?

1. 1.7.10

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. 1.9

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. 1.8

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. johnfg10

johnfg10 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:32 PM
    well by the end of this year sponge should be ready so we will be able to update hehe :p and pack development takes a while so we should be ok

2. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    5:32 PM
    the fully featured sponge will be 1.9 as they are dropping 1.8 already.

3. johnfg10

Local Time:
    ok well @Krhymez looks like were skipping to 1.9 then -.-

SanndyTheManndy likes this.
  4. Yay!

5. johnfg10

Local Time:
    He he don't like 1.8 much then :p

6. 1.8 has not got got much severe changes from 1.7.10 and I had grown bored playing in the same way again and again. 1.9 will offer some welcomed changes, I hope.[DOUBLEPOST=1461918642][/DOUBLEPOST]But why make a 1.9 modpack for mym servers when they can't run any other version except 1.7.10?

7. aD0UBLEj

aD0UBLEj Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    There aren't really that many 1.9 mods yet anyway, this is more of a future project

8. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    8:32 AM
    With all this talk of a new civ modpack, half of you have maybe all but abandoned the current one, as people have repeatedly said it has run its course. I don't think that's true, for one reason. You guys left. I don't think you should have a say in a server's future after you have abandoned it, Now, here's what I want to talk about. For starters, we need to get the server's population back up, and what a good time it is to seeing as how all of these quiter's bases have been reset after being gone so long. There is barely a power gap between new players and old ones, since there's barely any old players left. Now, you may be asking me how we'll do it. Well with a lot of luck and sympathy we shall ask the great and powerful ones for a server announcement! which will draw any new MYM players in who may not know about the server. The modpack has gone through so many changes it can't be considered the old civ anymore, and the map is almost void of people. I would think its almost practically a reset. Pretty please admins?

Second thing to discuss, what Ace was talking about. A way to keep them there. I won't know much about this subject, suggestions are plentiful in the thread, but I have stopped reading it a while ago. As for everyone here who has commented, can we care enough to keep the server from getting shut down? It's gonna go the way of all the doomed modpacks before it if nothing happens.

9. Kr0nulus

Kr0nulus Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I'll certainly keep coming on - <3 civ and the community!! If you need me to do stuff lemme know, i'm more than willing to contribute!

10. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    That's only the current situation. It is likely that there will be 1.9 MyM servers in the future, but there are very few modpacks for it anyway, since we've barely reached a stable version.

11. julio1237878

julio1237878 Game enthusiastic

Local Time:
    The Good thing is that according to what direwolf20 said in one of his episodes its easier to move to 1.9 than 1.8

12. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Doot doo doo do doo doo doo do doo.. *patiently waits*

13. What about moving to minecraft 1.10?

profrags likes this.
  14. johnfg10

Local Time:
    not really true considering the same updates that happen in 1.8 will still be there in 1.9 aka u need 3 json and im not sure what 1.9 has changed but blocks in 1.8 is a total pain lets take ae2 as a example each colour of cable there is 16 channels so by my calculations each cable colour will need 48 and thats per colour so in total they will need something like 768 .json files in 1.8 and 1.9
    fun!!! :p

from a pack dev point of veiw there is very little to nothing we can do with civ u want to do this stuff then sure :) but we will still provide support for 1.7.10 version as u can see on github as we find ways to fix bugs or people report them we are fixing them we just belive we need a new focus civ has evolved so much from alpha to know it wasnt designed to be a pvp/pve pack so how it is currently is sort of a mix of orginal ideas and new ideas going through the packs life cycle and were not abandoning it were just looking forwards packs take a long time to devlop remember especial to get it at a point where it is stable enought to be put on a large server

15. can someone direct me to a page or forum which can tell me in detail that why is 1.8 and above modding a pain in the butt?[DOUBLEPOST=1462089781][/DOUBLEPOST]If only there was a mod so that players left their bodies behind when they logged off, that would completely change everything to do with exploration and what not.

16. johnfg10

Local Time:
    i can give a explanation basicly mojang desided to change how blocks are registered blocks now use "block states" which requires 3 .json files of stuff per block state which means a heck of alot more work for a developer especially if they change the blocks texture then each texture needs 3 .jsons files that is the main issue also alot of stuff was total rebuilt like chat stuff and some other stuff which makes it a total pain in the ... for mod developers especial thoes with bigger mods like ic2, thermal expansion and AE2

quote from Blockstates and Metadata - Minecraft Mods & Modding by BedrockMiner

Blockstates - the new concept in Minecraft 1.8:
    Blockstates define a state of a block in the world, divided in several properties. Every block can have as much properties as it needs, but, as a modder, you need to be aware of the fact that you need to store these properties somehow.
    Blocks have a metadata, a 4 bit value between 0 and 15. This is the only additional storage a block has (except TileEntities), so it's necessary to fit the data from the properties that needs to be saved into these 4 bits. In general, not every property needs to be saved though. For instance, a stained glass pane has the properties "color", "north", "east", "south" and "west". Only the color property needs to be saved, because the other values (the connections of this glass pane) can be found by checking the neighbour blocks of the glass pane.
    The properties of the block are used in multiple places, for instance in the rendering. The blockstates file for each block is used to choose the right block model depending on the blockstates. Also, most methods that do something in the world use blockstates instead of blocks and metadata.

Items with metadata:
    The metadata of an item is stored in the itemstack's damage value which is normally used to save the durability of tools. Because metaItems use this value they cannot have a damage value, so you can't make pickaxes (which are damageable) with metadata. The metadata of items is not restricted to 16 numbers, instead it can be any number from -32768 to 32767.

there are systems that easy the pain a bit but its still annoying to deal with and learn for that matter

SanndyTheManndy likes this.
  17. SirStudMuffin

SirStudMuffin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Give Civ something that makes it stand out, because just saying its PVP centric wont draw people in. Like its been said before you need to think of something that seperates it from everything because otherwise its just a PVP infinity clone

18. johnfg10

Local Time:
    point is there is very little we can change as alot of mods do world gen we can not remove them

19. SirStudMuffin

SirStudMuffin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Looks like a reset ;)

20. johnfg10

Local Time:
    ive already been told thats not a option.[DOUBLEPOST=1462095556,1462093750][/DOUBLEPOST]
    worst thing is it serves basicly no purpose