CraftMine pack - would you play it?

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by Paint_Ninja, Jan 11, 2016.

1. SirStudMuffin

SirStudMuffin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:08 AM
    Well we need something like jeees

2. johnfg10

johnfg10 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Ye plus this pack looks awesome

Paint_Ninja likes this.
  3. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    Sorry, but what part of my post that you quoted are you saying isn't easy? The reducing eye fatigue bit, the offer of help and support for setting up and managing the server backend, or the backwards- and forwards- compatibility?

4. SirStudMuffin

Local Time:
    I think he was on about getting it on MYM

5. johnfg10

Local Time:
    Setting up a large server

6. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:08 AM
    I like the effort Paint_Ninja puts in here to promote his modpack, by giving very detailed descriptions of what the pack is about. It would be nice to get more response/feedback from the MyM staff about this.

Paint_Ninja and johnfg10 like this.
  7. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    11:08 PM
    @Werewolfi_de says that it some new pack is being released sooonnnn...... soon... soon^tm so idk, maybe it's this pack

8. SirStudMuffin

Local Time:
    Doubtful probably vanilla ;)

9. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:08 AM
    My guess would be the new skyfactory version.

profrags likes this.
  10. SirStudMuffin

Local Time:
    please no[DOUBLEPOST=1462284026,1462277495][/DOUBLEPOST]#ForceablyClosedByRemoteHost on the CM server

11. johnfg10

Local Time:
    Nero most likly

12. SirStudMuffin

Local Time:
    I wouldn't be surprised
    So yesterday me Gothic and Rubi went onto the CM server pack and well omg the ambient sounds with the little girl like OMG, I like this pack because it's a lot harder to rush

Paint_Ninja and johnfg10 like this.
  13. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    Unfortunately, as much as I would love to have the MineYourMind community experience CraftMine, I have not yet been informed of CM coming to MYM or had any response from staff since @BookerTheGeek asked for a summary. I'm not giving up yet though, especially as more members of MYM are gradually discovering CM and seeing why I'm trying so hard to get it to more recognised!

P.S. Incase you didn't see it @BookerTheGeek, I've posted the summary on the thread on page 3 post #57. :)

14. SirStudMuffin

Local Time:
    This is what Slind said on another thread

15. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of that thread until now.

Here's my response to Slind's post:

It's nice to hear that you've recognised the positive feedback from the community about CraftMine! :) As I said before in the CM thread, I am willing to offer help with anything related to getting the pack on MineYourMind, including full server setup, maintenance, 1-to-1 live chat support, etc...

---

By the way, to anyone out there wondering why there was a private conversation about CM coming to MYM before the thread and no one got told about it despite the pack being clearly stated as "open" and "transparent", I would like to explain. I was new to the MYM community and wanted to make sure I wasn't being seen as advertising/spamming out of the blue, asking for a pack to be added that probably no-one here has heard of at the time. After a short discussion, I got suggested to make a thread and ask if people would be interested, with the pack only having a possibility of being added if there was sufficient interest within the community. I went beyond that and answered everyone's questions, given in-depth information on the pack's intentions, what it has, how it's made behind the scenes, etc...

Please, take as long as you need to make an informed decision, no need to rush.

I intentionally kept the conversation private until now as I wanted to make sure that early on, everyone's opinions were their own, and not influenced by anyone other than themselves. Silly judgement I know, please don't take it as an offense as it wasn't intended.

For anyone curious on the dates: the private conversation started on 7th of Jan and this thread started on 11th of Jan.[DOUBLEPOST=1462386950,1462385046][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Ah, okay. I have setup and managed a medium CraftMine server back when it hit a viral status for a while on the Technic Platform during the legacy v3 era. It went well and was fairly easy to setup and maintain, although granted I did already have the whole server ready long before then including the spawn and everything else. I remember getting messages on the CM Forum and threads being made asking me to raise the player slots as 48 wasn't enough and the serv was full practically 24/7, so I raised it to 64 and still kept getting slot raise requests, although I didn't raise it any further because I wanted to sort out more staff and moderation first.

With CM, you don't get mod conflicts, or ID conflicts either. You can leave your server outdated for a while and everything will still work fine and players can still join most of the time - just without the new features being craftable, usable, or whatever until the server updates. World resets aren't required for most updates, only major releases like v3 -> v4 for example, and even then some world content can still be kept. Plugins rarely require to be updated for a similar reason to the world compatibility, plus "Thermite" (which is what CM Servers use, based on Thermos) provides all the latest Spigot updates to the current Forge. The only real maintenance issues I can think of off of the top of my head are updating your CM server without replacing any custom mod configs you have and some minor issues with tick rates if you have a lot of custom worlds loaded with Multiverse. Although I've never setup and maintained a large server so I'm likely missing quite a lot of stuff...

I accidentally released a chunk corruption update during the time CM was featured on the Technic Launcher and was all the buzz, causing chunks to become corrupted and the server to crash when a player goes into a corrupted chunk. Never ever since then have I released an update without extensive testing, automated crash analytics on beta builds and having beta testers worldwide report any issues first, and no critical bugs have shown up since then.

The only reason I lost the popularity back then was because of that bug, and although it got fixed quickly after, the damage was already done. :/ But don't worry, CMv4 is definitely the most stable major "era" of the pack I've ever made, with just 4 known minor bugs that were found out by members of the community and the automated anonymous bug and crash analytics embedded in the pack.

16. SirStudMuffin

Local Time:
    but to go from a full 64/64 server to a 0/16 server as of yesterday is a big hit bro

johnfg10 likes this.
  17. johnfg10

Local Time:
    Same as what happened to viv

18. SirStudMuffin

Local Time:
    Next modpack I play I'll make a mod grave

19. Paint_Ninja

Paint_Ninja New Member

Local Time:
    I know, but that's comparing over a year's worth of time space. It wasn't all in one go. And like I said it'll never happen again, especially when I do so much extensive testing for every update now. That one buggy update was just me rushing to get it out and didn't test it.

CM has evolved significantly since then - even just comparing screenshots of v3 and v4 there's a visible improvement throughout. I believe that if the featured modpacks part of the Technic Launcher still existed and CM was still on there, we'll be full again and stay full for a pretty long time. The main issue with the pack nowadays is definitely its recognition, not its stability.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  20. johnfg10

Local Time:
    The hard thing about pack development now is making it new and intresting