A bit of a rant: Mods, refunds, server performance, language filter & end game items.

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by Talhalla, Jun 15, 2016.

?

Are there any of these points you agree with? If so, which?

1. Mods

40.0%
  2. Refunds & Server performance

24.0%
  3. Language Filter & Caps Lock

44.0%
  4. End Game Items

40.0%
  5. None! The server is perfect as it is and nothing need changing!

40.0%
  6. Something else.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Talhalla

Talhalla Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:35 AM
    To start off, I'm not 100% sure where to put this, but as I play mostly on sky factory all this applies to sky factory I figured I'd put it here. Any mods, feel free to move it somewhere else if needed.

A quick disclaimer:
    It is in no way my intention to call out or insult anyone or the server for that matter, this is simply what I believe could and should be improved, to make the server more enjoyable for everyone.
    Also, I come from Denmark so my english isn't great, so expect a few grammatical mistakes every now and then ;P

Mods:
    Let's start with mods as there really isn't much to this. I feel mods do a lot of stuff right, and if they just want to play they should obviously be allowed to.
    However, with that being said, I have seen a lot of this "if it's in the rules don't question it" attitude from both mods and players. Whenever someone questions a rule they are simply told "it's in the rules."
    As if just because something is in the rules it automaticly makes sense, and is completely reasonable, I have even seen mods threaten to mute people for simply questioning a rule. And needless to say, I think this needs to stop.

Refunds & Server perfomance:
    I generaly agreee with the no refunds policy, however, when servers like Sky Factory has been getting as much lag and as many rollbacks as it has, the policy really has to be thought of again. Let me explain:
    If the server only goes down every once in a blue moon, then it isn't a big problem, sure you might lose some stuff but generaly not a big problem. However, when the server goes down every few hours or so and you have no idea when, you are going to stop playing, and the playerbase will suffer greatly as a result.
    I'm not saying that the refund policy should be completely done away with, or that the performance should be fixed (I'm well awear that this is matter is not in your hands), all I'm saying is that while the server is having such a huge performance drop it might be worth to reconsider the refund policy, atleast untill it's back up and running, as to avoid a huge loss of players owing to the amount of lost items.
    At the very least, have a warning when the server is likely to rollback so people can protect their items, or log out and wait for the server to be running smoothly again.

Language filter & caps lock:
    So this is quite a big one.
    I honestly believe the language filter makes normal conversations difficult, and while I understand why it's there I believe it needs to be reconsidered, (or at the very least the banned words) a lot of the time it censors words that would only very rarely be used as insults (like the word "hell" before that was fixed). I also believe that if you have mods on the server there is no need for a language filter, you just have a harser punishments, if someone insults another person they would be muted.
    Not to mention the fact that a language filter does little to nothing when it comes to stopping insults, just because a word is censored doesn't mean it's meaning is lost, for example:
    If someone said "you fat fuck" or "you fat ****" the meaning is the same.
    So I just believe it would be better if the chat was regulated purely by mods instead of some language filter that is easy to bypass and rarely does it's job.

On a related note, the caps lock filter is, in my opinion, really stupid. While I understand that full caps sentences are annoying, the way it detects full caps sentences is horrible at best. If you want to capitalize a single word in a sentence (if the sentence is short enough) it will often warn you for using caps, which is oobviously not optional, and again, you could just have mods watch the chat, it would work much better, as it wouldn't get in the way of normal conversations, while it would stop things filters simply could never dream of.

End game items (trading and selling):
    Finaly end game items, this is a bit of a tough one. I get why it's there but at the same time I see it making the game less fun, and I really think it should be reconsiderd.
    Firstly, if you are able to get something yourself that is end game you should be able to buy it. If for example I had the ability to get awakened draconium I should be able to buy it. I get that at some point a difference in amount becomes a difference in kind, but this would then have to effect EVERYTHING, which would undermine the whole idea of the market to begin with.
    So basicly, what I'm saying is that the end game item ban ultimately prevents fun. It's also really annoying constantly having to worry about what is end game and what isn't as the "end game list" is not exactly easy to just pull out.

Summary:
    That was my take on some things that needs changing on the server, if you read through the whole thing (even if you disagree with it) have a cookie ;D!
    Anyway, I would just like to restate that this is in NO WAY meant to insult anyone and is simply my opinion on what could and should change to make MyM a more fun server for everyone.

Thanks for reading!

2. SirStudMuffin

SirStudMuffin Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:35 AM
    Thanks for your opinions im sure the administration will take them and help improve the server
    My only problems with the post is:
    A) Server performance cant be changed as they cant upgrade anymore
    B) Your giving issues but no suggestions of fixes
    C) The end game list is easy to pull out if you search for your pack endgame list
    D) You can crate Appeals against mods or tell staff about it
    E) If your on about the whole community then it wouldnt go here, suggestions possibly

3. Mouro

Mouro Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:35 AM
    -- moved to suggestions and feedback --[DOUBLEPOST=1466007500,1466007365][/DOUBLEPOST]
    That should be fixed by now. The plugin that the server have to keep record of players actions (Prism) was logging tree-grow, and that is now disabled. (more info here)

4. F4lconwings

F4lconwings Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You have to keep in mind that we are not enough staff to moderate the chat 24/7 365d a year... The chatfilter just serves as an addition to make our server a nicer and more family friendly place. If someone means to swear, offend etc. He is getting partially stopped by the filter, which is a good thing.

Anyhow, thanks for the cookie :)

Nice post, grab a like!

5. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    4:35 AM
    You can, as a matter of fact

6. Talhalla

Local Time:
    Thats a lot of attention o_O. Thanks!

A) I know this, I even said it in my post ;P
    B) I mean, it is a rant, I had a few fixed, but I was just listings things I felt could be improved, I never claimed to hold all the answers!
    C) I know, but if someone doesn't know it exists, and having to go search for it all the time is still anoying.
    D) Not 100% sure what you are refering to here. Sorry.
    E) Seems it has already been moved!

I know, but my point is when a server starts behaving all wierd like that again, even if it's fixed now that doesn't mean it won't become a problem again later!

I agree that the mods can't be there all the time, obviously, but what good is a chat filter going to be when mods are offline anyway? You can still bypass it, and with no mods to stop you from doing so, we are back at square 1 again ;P

Thank you <3!

From the Sky Factory end game list:

Draconic Evolution
    All Draconic Items.

7. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    I meant if you have an endgame item you can buy more of said item lol

8. Talhalla

Local Time:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
  9. chugga_fan

Local Time:
  10. Talhalla

Local Time:
    In that case I think the roles should be made more clear, so that all mods enforce the same rules.

11. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    you can't sell on /market listings, but you can privately contact people to sell/buy

BetaPetey likes this.
  12. Talhalla

Local Time:
    It would still be nice if all mods knew this, because they obviously don't.

BetaPetey likes this.
  13. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:35 AM
    Direct them to the thread if they try to stop you. If they try to punish you for doing so, file a report and they'll be punished instead. It's the job of moderators to ensure that the rules are enforced, which they aren't doing if they ignore what admins have said.

MrsFaithfyre likes this.
  14. Talhalla

Local Time:
    Couldn't someone just do an @mods or something?

15. Pairak

Pairak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Ok, 2 things.
    Nr 1:
    I have myself made tickets when people use excessive swearing and bypassing filter. Filter is there to try to keep words from occuring, while a adult audience will know what people are trying to say even with filter, some kids may not, and as its been stated, this is a family friendly server. If one have a problem with people bypassing filter and there is no staff on, then just use the handy ticket system =).

Nr 2:
    I dont know if this is your only example or if its the only one you screen shotted, but i feel this is in no way clear that the mod is saying that you cannot sell it. Its mostly a normal player talking and even then it could be focused towards the market statement. Personally ive seen staff many times correct assumptions that you cannot sell endgame items privately.

But bottom line here, remember that staff are all regular players like us that have accepted to spend a good portion of their free time helping the rest of us. The admins to their best training them, but its not like their getting a full training seminar at a hotel in California, its allot of /msg and I imagine a good bit of skype/teamspeak.
    If they make mistakes, by all means, send them a /tell or open a ticket, but treat it as a learning matter.

16. Talhalla

Local Time:

Well, #1
    This is becomming less and less true, more kids already know all these words so again, it just distorts normal conversations ^^

It was just a quick example, and I don't have any other screenshots, but from personal experience that is basicly how they always reply.

Thats just more reasons as to why they should know the rules.

17. Pairak

Pairak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Frankly, if the chat filters "distorts normal conversation" to such a degree then maybe the filter is just the thing we need to help people expand this vocabulary in a more friendly way =)

18. Talhalla

Local Time:
    The point is it censors words that are only rarely used as insults.

19. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:35 AM
    They're also words that are rarely used in general by people who use friendly vocabularies. "Hell" is common as "Oh hell, that caught me off guard!" but who ever goes talking about the Japanese Longtailed Tit?

20. _prpl_

_prpl_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:35 AM
    Swerving back to the end game items and having mods know so they don't stop you... If you aren't doing it on the market.. And are trading in private chat as allowed, there's nothing to be seen to complain about. When it becomes public you will hear from staff.