1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided Against A PvP Oriented Server

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by LordFungi, Apr 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    8:12 AM
    So I know about how friendly everyone is on here, the staff are exceptionally nice and the community is great, but we don't have much going for it in the way of feuds and arguments. Pretty much all of the fights that start on these servers are diffused rather quickly by mods or the futility of being unable to act or attack. Sometimes we have a server that gives us PvP zones such as the nether in Argraian Skies, or the now shut-down Civilization server, and maybe there's those times when you want to test out your skills so you enable PvP with a friend. However it doesn't compare to the feeling of a raid, or faction war. Civilization did happen to find a good way to balance civility with barbarity, with solid rules that worked, but it fell apart not because of player conflict, but because of the instability of the modpack that caused errors, missing inventories, and one (almost two) resets before shutting down. It was a good exercise for the staff though, rules were wrote and guidelines were set, we got to see how the community would react to a hostile environment and near the end, it had a stable economy and even territories of the map that belonged to certain factions. So I was wondering if MyM would ever try to create another PvP oriented server again, seeing as how the last one went so great.

2. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:12 AM
    We had an anarchy pvp enabled type server open, but there wasn't a lot of interest in it at the time, many players would get killed by the 1.10 mechanics and never return. It's still a viable idea if we could find a modpack to support it and interest level to support it. Maybe make a poll see if players want to get rolled over by other players.

3. F4lconwings

F4lconwings Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:12 PM
    Hmm I think there was a general interest in pvp. It somehow just couldnt bind players to vanilla minecraft. Can we issue such a voting to see what most of the people think?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    3:12 PM
    I'm not sure vanilla PvP would be the best option, as the majority of the players on this network are here for the modded play, and interest would therefore be limited. A spiritual successor to Civilization, making use of 1.10, or possibly even 1.11's new combat mechanics, may be effective but would require quite a bit of time spent on the pack dev's part.

Note also that a large portion of the pack's instability came from its conception at the back end of the 1.7.10 cycle, where many devs had dropped support their mods in order to focus on updating to 1.9.

lilsaint123 likes this.
  5. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    10:12 AM
    Just saying, Rage Quit is being built around PvP, even if it is not the main idea.

I mean really, how much fun to kite a mob of infernal demoletion zombies into somebodies base and then collect the loot?

Or surrounding their base in netherwart? (Applies damage when breaking)

Just saying.

6. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Apply a poll we shall see where interest lies.

7. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    We had multiple PvP servers over the past. Unfortunately none of them were a successful/a long runner. I do not know how we could make it work better. It is always difficult with the op items from modded minecraft.

TomboyEnthusiast likes this.
  8. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    Have a pack that has a rock paper scissor setup for the end game items, and a punishment for ganking newbs.

9. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    The rock/paper/scissors I can see happening but a way of punishing newb stompers I just don't know how it'd work.

10. CrimsonSZ

CrimsonSZ Bored of being bored because being bored is boring

Local Time:
    11:12 PM
    Gun-geons (Dungeons with guns for loot) to explore, shields to deplay and sword to swing, oh what an interesting world if only we had such a mod or someone could... develop... it... *sniff* really wish I was old enough to take up programming in poly (Tertiary in Singapore) right now.

11. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    The loot in Runic Dungeons could probably be changed to give out gun parts and ammo, or the loot towers from Hexxit (did that mod make it to 1.10?) Or the newer multi-layered dungeons we keep seeing.

12. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    Actually, sorta easy I would think with a scoreboard system. Say if somebody is more than 5% of total kills below you you can not attack them unless they DAMAGE you first. You would of course be able to attack any level above you. Maybe add hats to players (Floating icons) that can designate somehow how many kills you have? Say nothing for 0-10 kills, Iron Block for 11-24, stuff like that.

13. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Could have something similar to a nameplate also, like titles floating above them when you look at them up close.

14. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
  15. smolki14

smolki14 Active Member

Local Time:
    well in my opinion a pvp server would be awesome

16. coolgi3000

coolgi3000 Logician of the gods

Local Time:
    With the right setup I think a pvp server could be a lot of fun. Civilization was on the right track in my opinion Like LordFungi said, it failed for non-pvp reasons.
    I would think you would want to be careful about what mods are in the pack as well, if draconic evolution or avitartia are there then we will end up with unkillable gods leading hoards of autospawned super-zombies into people's bases :p
    I like the idea of a rank system tho it couldn't protect against people leading mobs tho could it?
    I also agree with The_Icy_One that a vanilla pvp/anarchy server just doesn't work for many players. For me, MYM is my place to come for modded servers, if I want vanilla (I never do ;)) I would normally just go somewhere else

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  17. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I remember old pack where you chose you race(elf/human/dwar/gnome) and it was true PvE/PvP pack with lots of dungeons and custom gear for every race and you can level and choose some atributes to get even more powerfull but i dont remeber its name and its way to old right now 1.6.4 i guess.

If MyM gonna made new pack for PvP there should be some roleplay-rpg styled to encourage player to do pvp to get class levels/ranks because almost every modded pack is non-pvp and most players aren't accustomed to pvp.

On the other hand pack based on Flan's Mod(choose what you want) will be best option, maybe WW2 option while we wait for new Battlefield WW2 or some futuristic option with GalacticCraft etc.

And as @coolgi3000 said - no draconic evo, avaritia, blood magic(bound armor), tinkers construct(op armor piercing rapier), no magic(especially ars magica), IC2(quantum/gravi armors)

And if PvP modpack will be made maybe start with building contest for battle arenas and best ones will be implemented as server PvP arenas.

18. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Well I wouldn't rule out magic mods entirely, but the main ones like Botania / Thaumcraft / Blood Magic / Witchery that offer players powerful end game magic would need to be altered for obvious reasons. Maybe thaumcraft without the addons, its not AS powerful then and would provide a more complicated way to automate things with a lack of AE. The thing with the Civilization modpack before it was altered was Kyhrmez (i can never spell his name right, or just did. Ignore it), intended for the modpack to be as balanced as possible by removing endgame or overpowered items from the game. Everything would be stuck toward mid-tier. There was no teleportation (except for phones, but those were a bad idea to begin with), so people would actually need to explore and walk around. Flans mod was used, but none of the guns worked inside other people's claims (Because of claim protection, MyM never addressed it so Flans was only used for its incredibly buggy transportation such as helicopters or vehicles.

19. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    3:12 PM
    I'd argue that a lot of Civilization's longevity was the result of its use of PvP as a secondary option to normal play. It should be OK to have very strong armour like Quantum armour, provided that there is a counter-play available to it, such as Witchery's werewolfism to remove the armour.

20. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    I did love that about Civ, PvP was always a option. The only real battle fought was over the economy toward the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.