Building our Community

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by gekketovenaar, Jun 29, 2017.

?

Do you want "YouTubers" to have a Special Tag? and/or help gekketovenaar make a video

1. Yes

38.5%
  2. No

46.2%
  3. Mashed Potato

38.5%
  4. Help Gekketovenaar

15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gekketovenaar

gekketovenaar Active Member

Local Time:
    4:35 PM
    I have been thinking of ways to bringing more people to our forums/modded servers. So the best way I can think of inviting people to our humble corner of the internet and bringing those of us who are a little shy a reason to talk to people in our community. What I had in mind was that we as a community could come together one day and create a minecraft music video. If we have music artist here we could even write our own song for here and have the whole thing be completely original song. I know that this has been done before but if you have a better idea I would love to hear it. Try to leave it at brainstorming if we get enough attention I will figure everything else out. I have plenty of time on my hands.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. coolgi3000

coolgi3000 Logician of the gods

Local Time:
    Well we could also attract more youtubers here somehow. Maybe with a tag that shows that they are a YouTube either ingame or on the forums, or both. Nothing draws people to a server like a chance to run into their favorite YouTuber there ;)

3. gekketovenaar

Local Time:
    that is a good idea making our servers and forums friendlier to youtubers and then they could attract people.

4. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I thought I was everyone's favorite youtuber? My four subscribers love me!

I've reached out to several middle of the road youtube stars, and they all say the same thing to me, they are afraid to come to another server based on the fear of being "beholden" to that server. We did have one here prior who left to go pursue builds that were no longer server friendly.

Then with an opening of the world to youtube players to have special tags, starts the flood of I have a youtube channel tag me, and where are my special perms etc.

Peace7904, BookerTheGeek and Rohen like this.
  5. gekketovenaar

Local Time:
    what I think he means that if we start being friendly to youtubers that they will come in especially if these servers start becoming super popular. I have bounced through a bunch of servers in my time and none of them are this friendly to them. where perks are offered.

6. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    Well I wouldn't suggest giving youtubers any more privileges then normal players. But maybe just a quick nod saying "hey this person is a youtuber" so that they feel special enough to make videos on MYM servers. Or even just add announcements letting people know that MYM supports youtubers playing on their servers and that they don't have to ask to record a video here.

7. gekketovenaar

Local Time:
    Right exactly what I was thinking that "perks" like having an announcement or something that supports that not like actual detonators perks

8. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    And maybe the process for getting a youtuber tag involves applying for it and having a staff member check real quick to make sure that they have made atleast 1 video featuring MYM posted.

9. gekketovenaar

Local Time:
    right an a good announcement would be that we as a community could come together to make a video and then everyone could get a title change or a temp title change and an achievement.

10. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    Lol sounds good to me. We could make it into one of those competitions that MYM has sometimes. Not sure how yet tho
    [doublepost=1498749296][/doublepost]And even if the staff don't get approval to make it official we could still do it anyway. It wouldn't be too hard to organize once we pick a server and time and spread the word.

11. gekketovenaar

Local Time:
    Just go around asking people to comment here so i can see if people want to actually do this because the staff all seems pretty democratic about its people.

12. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    Add a poll
    And don't forget to add potato

13. wyndman

Local Time:
    hmm building competition type on the next server to launch?

Oh, and Hey Youtube people! We love you on MyM! There it's official.

coolgi3000 likes this.
  14. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    SirWill is about to his 10,000 messages on the forum too. We could add that into the celebration somehow ;)

15. gekketovenaar

Local Time:
    it doesn't let me add one afterwards so i just made a straw poll

16. wyndman

Local Time:
    Poll added.

gekketovenaar likes this.
  17. gekketovenaar

Local Time:
    I also wanted this to be a thing where people could earn this special tag buy helping make a video featuring MYM

18. Tuffnoodle

Tuffnoodle Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:35 PM
    My biggest concern about "official" youtubers on MyM is vulgarity. Since we are a family friendly server, I (personally) wouldn't feel comfortable having a youtuber advertising our server while spewing curse words or sexual innuendos in the video while basically representing us with an official tag. If this were to become a thing, that's something we'd have to take the time to monitor.

Sandstroem likes this.
  19. coolgi3000

Local Time:
    Hmm good point. :cool:

Although lately YouTube has begun to discourage its users from using fowl language by taking down videos with too much of it in them. So if YouTube keeps it up it may not be as much of a problem for us.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  20. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:35 PM
    I am concerned that our own rules and standards interfere with a Youtuber's intended program. It is quite common that Youtubers, even the large ones, e.g. construct EMC loops to get their EMC. Banning an upcoming YouTuber in episode 40 of his popular Project Ozone Kappa Mode Let's Play because he built a loop, will backfire more on us than on him/her.

Also I don't really want to watch all those episodes to check whether they apply to our rules.

Decnav likes this.