Done The mystery of the missing squid!

Discussion in 'Sky Factory 3' started by Mantralord, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mantralord

Mantralord Active Member

Local Time:
    10:52 AM
    Ok so im trying to spawn squid to capture and turn into a ghast for my angel ring.
    1) I made a 3x3 pillar of water from Y=64 and let it flow down to void, moved away 30 blocks = nothing, moved away 60 blocks = nothing.

2) Tried building a pool 3x3x3 below Y=64 (in case pillars for some reason dont work anymore) = nothing...

3) Read that squid dont spawn 24 blocks within global spawn point so built another 3x3 pillar like 40 blocks way from my spawn position, still nothing.

4) The biome is "Plains" but AFAIK squid can spawn in any biome but i still went away and tried finding an ocean biome or something but as far as I can go in any direction the biome is locked at plains so that didnt help.

5) I have several spots of water placed around my base just to see if I can get squid in any of them but no... its just not happening.

The only thing i can think of now is that
    1) Squid spawning is completely disabled on the server.
    2) There is a max number of squids allowed in total across the server and this max is reached due to someone else spawning them like crazy (I have asked around and it seems that noone that is online even have squid themselves)

Help!

2. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    2:52 AM
    Do you have the squid spawner chunk loaded?

3. Mantralord

Mantralord Active Member

Local Time:
    Oh do I actually need to chunk load chunks when im standing just a few chunks away? I though the chunks in visible range was loaded

4. Aidoneus

Aidoneus Director Booster

Local Time:
    2:52 AM
    Try just in-case. ;) I have had a similar problem and chunk loading the area seems to fix it.

5. Mantralord

Mantralord Active Member

Local Time:
    Alright gonna try that out then, ill let you know the outcome :)
    [doublepost=1504964351,1504958082][/doublepost]Bah, nope chunk loading it didnt help :/

6. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:52 AM
    I'd make your pool larger, the only other issue could be there are already passive mobs loaded. Last time this was an issue I made a swimming pool and had squid in a few minutes.

7. Mantralord

Mantralord Active Member

Local Time:
    guess i could try going bananas with the size and make it horizontal instead of vertical, but i mean, a 3x60x3 pillar of water should be quite sufficient

8. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:52 AM
    That's what I thought too, early on players were saying they couldn't fish, and they had issues with squid, I ended up going with a 12x12 pool over the void.

9. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    9:52 AM
    Alternatively, build a swimming pool and place a sign near it saying "squidless pool". I can guarantee that it will be filled with squid in minutes.

SparedPumpkins likes this.
  10. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    For what it's worth when I was playing SF3 a few months ago and needed squid I made a 16x16 pillar from y:63 down to a 18x3x18 box at y:0, chunkloaded it and then sat 30 blocks away for over an hour while watching stuff on my other monitor, didn't see a single squid spawn the entire time.. honestly I think this is yet another case of MyM's mob limiting plugins screwing people over for no reason, cause in a skyblock pack with no worldgen oceans, any body of water below y:63 should spawn squids pretty reliably, and in single player they do (in SP I've seen squids spawn in as little as a typical 2x2 infinite water pool in skyblock packs!), but on MyM skyblock servers they hardly ever seem to want to spawn.

11. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    The mob-limiting plugin is called "Minecraft".

12. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    No, MyM has at least one plugin that artificially restricts mob spawns, that's why on servers like forever stranded where there are legitimate methods to obtain mob spawn eggs, you can right click to use one and it consumes it but doesn't actually spawn anything, the reason being that there are already too many mobs in the 3x3 chunks centered on the one it tries to spawn in, so the mob limit blocks it from spawning, likewise with releasing a mob from a golden lasso or a soul vial, if the 3x3 already has too many mobs then it empties the vial but doesn't spawn the mob that it was holding.

That's why on a lot of MyM servers I usually have a spawner chamber that instantly feeds into a draconic portal frame that teleports the mobs 3 chunks away into a separate grinder chamber, that way the spawners could run at max efficiency with no spawns being blocked because by the time a new spawn cycle triggers the mobs from the previous spawn would already be outside the 3x3 chunk area that the spawn limit checks for.

If you have not personally been a MyM administrator then you have absolutely no way of knowing what kind of plugins they have in place, so kindly keep your ignorance to yourself.

13. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    I thought you were talking about random mob spawns, which Minecraft stops if there is already a certain number of mobs loaded (25 for passive and 100 for hostile). Sorry for that.

14. Mantralord

Mantralord Active Member

Local Time:
    Hmmm so for my squid issue, do you have a practical example of how to solve this? I have now completed my massive pool (2x4 chunks from Y=64 down to Y=48 with a solid floor and water source blocks on every block space) and still no squid........ and yes, i have put down a chunk loader that loads 3x3 area so the most of the pool is loaded as well.

15. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    Make an automatic collector. I have some water on my PO2 island and I remember it spawns squids ~once in a week.

16. Mantralord

Mantralord Active Member

Local Time:
    :/ I made a ticket for this problem as well, but still got nothing. Doesnt anyone else have this problem? Or do people skip creating the angel ring in sky factory 3? I dont get it. You need a bat and a ghast and as far as i can tell, neither are obtainable right now (sure ghast can spawn naturally in nether but the witch water + squid trick is how you would normally go about this)

Edit: Just to be clear, I just tested on a single player world, squid spawn like crazy if I do the same there... So yeah, i think chaosblade is onto something, something on the server is definitely doing this, its not part of the mod pack itself.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  17. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    It's not a part of the mod pack, but it's a part of the game. MyM is just extending the existing mechanic with mob deleting and chunk-based limits. The insanely low spawn rate comes from the admins setting low mob limits for passive mobs (possibly the default or less).

18. Mantralord

Mantralord Active Member

Local Time:
    Well, passive mobs spawn like crazy for me, my base is completely flooding with cows, pigs, chickens, sheep and horses, i run around killing them off all the time cuz i dont want them, i tried herding them at one point but they kept dissapearing when i go away a bit only to reappear somewhere else later on... squid and bat on the other hand never happens!

19. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    /island warp brandonlk for bats, Last Millenium for squids. I doubt MyM will ever change the plugin.
    [doublepost=1505154191][/doublepost]
    /island warp brandonlk for bats, Last Millenium for squids. I doubt MyM will ever change the plugin.

20. Mantralord

Mantralord Active Member

Local Time:
    Hmm /island warp brandonlk is not a valid command, where should that take me? Didnt find anything on googling it. And it doesnt look like we can get to the last millenium through the portal at least, we got a "mining world", "nether", "end" and "deep dark" available.