Crash Landing Performance - Second Server

Discussion in 'Server Info' started by Slind, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    6:43 AM
    Hey,

as all of you noticed is crash landing not able to handle more than 50 players. This isn't due to any overstating of players or setups or machines and there is not much we could further improve. The main issues are the chunkloading of the sync shells and the special mobs.
    The players being part of our community for quite some time know, that we hate servers being lagging and invest most of our time into solving performance issues, looking for better solutions and if nothing helps splitting up servers for load balance. The current situation won't be for long even though we don't have any competition.

It is planned to open up a second crash landing server for load balance with the same setup. This should happen either tomorrow or the day after.

IP: crash2.mineyourmind.net or crash2.mym.li

Regards and a lot of fun with the pack
    Slind

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    Mijikai, katalia1 and AzureOrca like this.
  2. minecraft9111101

minecraft9111101 Modpack Maker

Local Time:
    12:43 AM
  3. Fez__

Fez__ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:43 AM
    Will you be able to transfer islands across to the second server? Or just for new starts?

and any news on the Donator Premium perks for the Crash Landing servers, in particular the /is flag creeper-explosion and /is flag spawn?

4. Dawnwraith

Dawnwraith Delighted Digger.

Local Time:
    Thats great news, I have not been around for three days as I know there have been a lot of people playing the pack. My computer is just a little 32 bit machine so it would not be doing so well with such a lot going on. It had already been randomly freezing and cutting out to the pause screen during game play as it was.

I am looking forward to being back on CL again with less tension on my computer again, yay!

Dawn

5. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    As the main issue are the mobs we don't think it is needed to transfer plots. When the new server is recommended and most players start on the new and us limiting the slots on the first one, it should already be enough and I don't see any reason putting work into it, if it doesn't have a benefit.

6. Fez__

Fez__ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    ok, making number 2 the priority server when new players access should be good, and ideas on my second question, creepers keep blowing up my mob farm even when I am no where near it, something strange going on with that.

7. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    I assume that is due to the special zombie mod that does give the mc mobs more variety.
    We haven't looked into any premium perks on crash landing yet. It would be great if you could suggest some things you think would be good and don't unbalance it too much. :)

8. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    If a creeper runs in the pyrotheum the creeper will explode.

9. Fez__

Fez__ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Ok Slind with think about that, and my creeper exploded in a mob farm and destroyed the area not in the Pyro, going to try again with the mob farm.

Certainly Hunger and thirst are the first two that come to mind. Maybe some armor or tool kits are not too OP.

10. Mad_N

Mad_N New Member

Local Time:
    9:43 PM
    I love MYM as a whole... but Crash Landing is totally unplayable at this point. I can get past the lag and the crashes, no big deal... that's what happens when you have 70+ players online.

However, I started my first island 3 days ago, played for 5 hours and took a break. Came back and my island had been deleted and I was in the Airport again. No big deal, chalk it up to a beta server still working out the kinks. So I started another one last night. My friend Paige and I put in another 6-7 hours and got far enough to raid the cities. Had loot from 3 Smeltery buildings and 5 pneumatic buildings and were all ready to start setting up our tech area when I got kicked. Relogged and my island... once again... had been deleted and I was in the Airport.

I don't care about the occasional lag, but if the server is glitchy to the point where you lose progress every few days and have to start from scratch? That is unplayable.

11. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Thank you very much for letting us know. Besides the two reported clone issues we haven't heard any other dramatic issues like this. We will definitely look into this until we find a solution.
    As we also have players with multiple days playtime on just one island I assume it is either related to latency or bad luck in your case.

12. Mad_N

Mad_N New Member

Local Time:
    9:43 PM
    Yeah, I have seen/heard friends and acquaintances who have played CL for days and days on MYM without issue and others who have had the same deleted-island problems as myself. I know that you are working hard to get things in order and opening up this second server is a step in the right direction.

I'm sure that I will give it another go at some point. Having played through Agrarian Skies start to finish 3, or 4 times... I'm excited to see this new style of hardcore survival HQM map, and as fun as single player Crash Landing is, it's always more fun to play with friends. IMO, the harder the challenge, the better.

It's just frustrating, and disconcerting when you spend 5+ hours grinding to get to a point where you can start some complex automation builds to make your life easier... and right at that very moment, your world is deleted and you are standing in an airport with a series of noob books in your hand.

13. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    I totally understand as have been in similar situations. I wouldn't have even given it a second chance within a week, if I would haven been in your situation. While it might not be possible for us to find out the source of the issue in a short time because it doesn't give us any clear points, we gonna look how we can at least get it working without a instant reset, so that it is possible to contact staff and get help before it gets deleted.

14. LordCrawdad

LordCrawdad New Member

Local Time:
    11:43 PM
    First let me say; Love MYM.
    As you can see I have been putting in 4+ hours a day, I have see a lot of crashes, I am okay with that as I do understand computers/software more then most. My real issue is my girlfriend watches me play all the time, and will play sometimes. She is really getting into Crash Landing however she refuses to play on this server because of the, as she says "Pauses" and is now mocking you and me about this being a lag free server. To the point, the [auto save] is giving me a 30 to 45 second pause. Also if a piston is extended at the wrong time during the save, it lost. You can still see it, it will not respond to redstone signal, and if you touch it POOF. Also my simple vanilla style cobblestone generator has a bad habit of making Obsidian during the auto save. These two issues have never happened at the same time, but I would say one of them does happen about every five saves.
    Thank you.

15. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Second Crashlanding Server is open:

IP: crash2.mineyourmind.net or crash2.mym.li

SirWilli and Tokrates also found out the source of the sync mod issue and solved it.

16. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Thanks for letting us know. The vanilla cobble gen producing obsidian isn't directly a bug. It is the same on agrarian skies. While we would like to solve the autosave issue, it isn't possible. We can thank hqm (hardcore questing mod -> heart of the modpack) for this but also should keep in mind that this mod wasn't written for servers. For the best experience the singleplayer/small private server is always the best choice. But for a lot of people a big community is worth more. We will keep putting time into crashlanding to further increase it but it takes its time.

17. katalia1

katalia1 Member

Local Time:
    All of your hard work is appreciated. Thank you so much.

18. minecraft9111101

minecraft9111101 Modpack Maker

Local Time:
    Yes it is. Thank you slind!