1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Suggestion: GT New Horizons

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Aedanis, Jan 17, 2019.

?

Are you interested in a GT New Horizons server?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

45.8%
  3. Depends...

4.2%
  4. C6H10O5 capsule

16.7%
  1. Aedanis

Aedanis Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    12:16 AM
    It occurs to me that a significant amount of the player base here at MyM seems to enjoy a challenging pack. This modpack is one of the most challenging I have ever run into, and one of the longest I've tried to play. With mods such as Hardcore Darkness, Infernal Mobs, and Spice of Life+Pam's Harvestcraft, among others, this pack is guaranteed to be a challenge for even experienced players. It is a kitchen sink pack for version 1.7.10, and I understand this is a step backwards from most versions, but in my personal opinion, it's worth it. The best part is that it continues to be updated, despite being three years old. Technology, magic, survival tactics and exploration all mix together.

What this pack features:
    - Questing Progression system
    - the Hardcore experience
    - Revamped ore generation system (see here: Ore Generation - GT New Horizons )
    - solo or team-based play; both are viable
    - turning simple mobs into 300hp bossfights
    - making night scary again
    - Gregified recipes (tldr this makes every recipe harder to achieve using GregTech)

There is a large amount of mods in this pack, and attempting to describe everything it contains in this forum post would make it a mile long, so I'll provide a link to the New Horizons page: GT New Horizons - Technic Platform

I would like everyone to do their own research on this pack and decide if it is for them, and if they would be interested in trying it out.

2. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    8:16 AM
    I have played ot before and the grind is worse the on awakening

And the pack is not suited for a large open server
    There for its a no from me
    There's simply better packs out there that is more worth the effort

3. tonalom

tonalom Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Added potato option. Seems like a pretty grindy pack, so not quite sure what to think of it. I'd have to test it first :p

4. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:16 AM
    I think this was suggested before, and it had a few things wrong with it that generally made it a nightmare for public use.

The way ore spawns is not typical minecraft spawning, it spawns in odd veins requiring players to constantly core drill the world for resources, now you'd hope that players would limit this to the farmworld, that doesn't always happen resulting in mole holes across the overworld.

There is limited water, this was a fear from sevtech too, you have players start draining buckets of water from the world and suddenly... it is a mess again.

I also remember several of the quests requiring specific biomes to be completed, and that might be an issue since we generate our worlds ahead of time.

Some of this might have changed since I originally tried the pack when it was suggested, but I'm willing to look at it again should enough players ask.

5. Kisly_

Kisly_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:16 AM
    A pack i've been wanting to play for a while now, just didnt want to play alone. So im up for it!

6. Aedanis

Aedanis Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    I understand why this could be an issue for a large server like MineYourMind, yet there are ways to correct them. I noticed on SevTech Ages, you could not build or break blocks outside of your own claim in the primary Overworld. That solves two of the three listed issues: mole hole drilling for ores, and water displacement. This would not easily stop players who simply place a claim, take the resources, then leave, but perhaps a timer for making a new claim, such as waiting 24 hours before you could put down a new claim, as well as limiting everyone to one or two claims at a time, would serve as a deterrent. A couple of the quests were biome specific, yes, but only for the items that spawned there, eg. Quicksand from a Rainforest, or Bamboo. None of the main quests, so far as I know, are gated behind biome visiting, the exceptions being dimensional visitations; Twilight Forest to begin with Thaumcraft, the Nether for Sulfur, etc.

Yes, it is a VERY grindy pack, and even for the best players could take months to complete. But, given the majority of the veteran players on Enigmatica 2: Expert have basically already completed the pack, the quest objectives, etc., and some are likely nearing the same results in the Skyblock version, this could be a good change of pace.

7. BlazeFTB

BlazeFTB Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The twilight forest requirement for starting thaumcraft however could be an issue as this pack is 1.7.10 and we normally disable the forest on that version because of how bad it is for servers. however that could be fixed in the same way that we did on divine journey with a twilight forest shop at Spawn.

8. Aedanis

Aedanis Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    The quest book can also be tweaked, if desired.

9. wyndman

Local Time:
    Unlikely, HQM normally crashes the client when sending changes from the server, this is why broken quests like those of Agrarian Skies 2 are still broken if you use a non MyM launcher.

10. sporefreak

sporefreak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:16 AM
    Sorry but as a "hardcore" player we don't want packs that will take months to complete (at least I don't)
    The problem is, even gated progression we reach end game automation in a month and the rest of the time is just waiting for things to farm the resources we need and by that point there really isn't any playing the game and more just logging on for hours on end without much to do because all that's left requires 2 million bedrock and unless you lag the server your stuck to 1000 bedrock a day.

Fireforce likes this.
  11. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Have to update this.

I played a bit in sp on this pack and I have to say I'm a seriously impressed. This pack has been around for four years, but has a highly active discord community around it. The pack itself gets regularly updated, including forked versions of popular mods that get bug fixed and customized.
    Downside to this pack: load times make each 1.12 pack we have look like kindergarten.

Still I am impressed what they have done and are still doing with this pack.

12. wyndman

Local Time:
    Sandy you necromancer.

Fireforce likes this.