1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info Tips on how to Increase your FPS

Discussion in 'Tutorials, Tips and Tricks' started by Lawmonark, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:04 PM
    Many people have logged onto 1.7.10 pack complaining about performance, instead of explaining it every time someone asks, i will post my tips here.

- Make your you allocate more Ram in the MyM launcher Options. I find that 4GB is perfect and anything more has a negative effect.

- Add FastCraft to your Mods folder: [WIP|1.7.10] FastCraft 1.11 - Off-Topic - IC² Forum : You can access this by right clicking the modpack in the MyM launcher and selecting View folder.

-Add FogNerf to you Mods folder: FogNerf - Cosmetic - Minecraft Mods - Curse add the same way as above. This gets rid of all the fog, similar to how opifine does

- Nvidia and AMD users, Go to your Graphic cards control panel. And set anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering to "USE APPLICATION SETTINGS". Also set Vsync to "OFF, unless application specifies"

-MAKE SURE TO NOT ALLOCATE MORE THEN 4GB of ram in settings.

- When in game go into the video Settings and set it to the following
    Graphics: Fast
    Smooth Lighting: Minimum
    Clouds: Off
    Mipmap: Off
    Render Distance: 5 (i use 8)
    Max Framerate: Unlimited
    Particales: Decreased (so you can see the infernal mobs)
    Vsync: Off

The options above should help your FPS, If you are getting enough FPS after the adjustments you can bump some of the settings up to 'pretty' up the overall game.

EDIT: Optifine seems to be working fine with the current 1.7.10 packs.... AS long as your using the correct version of optifine for the version of forge in the pack. Also you will want to turn off "Fast Render" in the settings, this will remove the flickering of items while in barrels.
    OptiFine Downloads

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. kriss0612

kriss0612 Ex-Staff Member

Local Time:
  3. julio1237878

julio1237878 Game enthusiastic

Local Time:
    5:04 AM
    Noob alert lol

how can i add more GB to the mym launcher

4. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    when you click on the launcher, right next to the lauch button is Options. you allocate more ram there[DOUBLEPOST=1413050443,1413050334][/DOUBLEPOST]
    They can but Optifine hasnt been supported by Mods since 1.4.7. Something about the way it renders objects. Some mobs have serious issues with it. From my experiance it does more harm then good. Most of the people over at FTB will tell you to remove optifine.

5. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    we, too.

Lawmonark likes this.
  6. kriss0612

kriss0612 Ex-Staff Member

Local Time:
    Oki, thanks for making me realise there are other programs which work just as good. Maybe I was just lucky that my Optifine worked with no problems on AG?

7. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    Updated to inform people about journey map

8. SilentStar

SilentStar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You said that already [Link] . There is no need to say it twice. This thread is for trying to help people to increase it. If journey map is fine for you, thats fine. These things are possibilities, so people can try to disable and enable a few things. @Crhymez i just trying to collect
    ways how to increase it

Lawmonark likes this.
  9. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  10. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    this "-XX:parallelGCThreads=10" should be 2/3 of the systems cpu cores/threads

11. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    -snip
    Need too look into this

12. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    the default value is the exact number of threads from the system. This feature can be wrong (there are many bug reports about this), which is the reason why people recommend to specify it. As only one action per cpu core/thread can run at a time (the others wait), setting this above the core count doesn't do anything good. Even setting it on the same amount doesn't do much good as the gc won't be the only thing needing a cpu core/thread at this time. Due to Amdahl's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia it is better to leave some room for other threads and processes.

13. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    most of these java argument collections have been thrown together without proper/clean testing, thoughts and experience. Besides enabling some new beta features and setting args to disable possible bugs (including forcing of gc) it is likely to harm more than do good.

14. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    Interesting, i will remove it then. After changing it though, i do have a good 20-30 fps increase.
    Not sure if thats just the new Fastcraft 1.11 or this.
    I got these Arguments from the FTB people.

15. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    these are the args we set for the servers:
    Code:
    -XX:UseSSE=4
    -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection
    -XX:ParallelGCThreads=6
    -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
    -XX:+UseParNewGC
    -XX:+DisableExplicitGC
    -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode
    -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing
    -XX:+AggressiveOpts
    Most of them are around gc which means you won't feel a difference as long as there isn't much for gc

I just noticed that they use largepage, this could cause issues with optimized SSD system I guess.

16. SilentStar

SilentStar Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hm... I have a SSD and i feel no difference. What kind of issue do you mean? Should i delete the arguments?

17. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    After using this for a while, my FPS and world loading is much faster.
    went from 90 FPS with faithful 32x to 120-160 FPS.
    These arguments seem to be working for me, and that performance is on my laptop.

18. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    If the argument is about the paging file which is space on the drive used as outsourcing once the ram is getting full. Than you might have a problem with telling java to use something that is disabled or so small that it doesn't matter. In case you or the software of the ssd did optimize the system for the ssd, the paging file size has been completely disabled or set so low that it nearly doesn't exist.
    Also on the side note on this. What is the idea of only giving 2 gb of real ram and telling java to use the virtual slow one (drive) instead for the fast real ram which is not in use?

I'm not saying the args are bad at all, but there are some that where I know that they are doing (can do) more harm than good, depending on the system.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  19. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    Back to the convo on JVM Arguments.
    What are the ones for Client side?
    For some reason mine are empty. Im using the lastest version of Java 8... if it matters.

MrRoooo likes this.
  20. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    EDIT:
    I no longer recommend Fastcraft. Recently it has been causing me a 75% decrease in fps.
    While i was playing infinity i could not get above 10 fps at another players base. I then removed fastcraft... when i logged in my fps was back to a steady 60 fps locked.

Sidenote: Optifine standard is now a lot more compatible with 1.7.10 packs. I have been testing if for the past month and only ran into a few graphic issues. nothing big