Horizons MatterOverdrive exhausting the server

Discussion in 'Server Info' started by Slind, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    12:18 PM
    Hey,

this is an unfortunate topic about the MatterOverdrive mod on horizons which is taking between 40-60% of the servers performance. It alone is (often) already taking more than 50ms per tick. (50ms per tick = 20tps = server at full speed, 100ms per tick = 10tps = server at half speed..)
    So this means even without all the other mods and minecraft it self it would already bring the server to its knees and not allow for a lag free play environment.

As MatterOverdrive is probably the mod of horizons, the most fun one, the new one, one of the most essential. What shall we do?

2. DizzyRonson

DizzyRonson Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    this doesnt sound good for horizons:/
    what does the mod owner say about it?

3. Rebelborn

Rebelborn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    horizons is dead. use the server resource on a new server (whit reika's fusion reactor :p)

4. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    11:18 AM
    That must be sarcasm right?

Surely you wouldn't suggest replacing a server on the basis of a not particularly server friendly mod for another server featuring a "particularly not server friendly" mod?!

There was a reason that we only let people fire up their fusion reactors once back on monster to prove it actually worked, before then worldediting it out and replacing it with an infinite energy sourceblock ;)

5. Rebelborn

Local Time:
    Yep :p

Thats why i never started mine :p i diden want to se the beauty of a machine go away :p

6. CaptainPrice_

CaptainPrice_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:18 AM
    I've only been on there a little bit but a lot of the people on there don't even use it. The main map is so populated with inactive people that you can't go 50 blocks without running in to someone's claim. My vote is for removing the mod and wiping the map/inventories/player.dats/etc. Fresh start.

Also add AE2. :D I know that won't happen but it's worth a shot right..?

7. Rebelborn

Local Time:
    an eye for a eye. a mod for a mod

8. CaptainPrice_

Local Time:
    Make a poll out of it. Keep it live for a few days/week/weeks whatever and put a broadcast message on horizons about it to make people vote. Could get more people to sign up on the forums which is a plus as well as get the people what they want. Democracy, eh?

Some options could include:
    Remove MO and no map wipe (don't think this is possible)
    Remove + map wipe
    Remove + map wipe + ae2
    remove + map wipe + comments/other mods requested/etc
    remove + comments/other mods requested/etc

edit: I'd also offer my services any way I could if it were decided that the new map be done. I have plenty of experience worldediting and building and the likes. I can show albums of my work if need be.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  9. Bennyboy1695

Bennyboy1695 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    We wouldn't add ae2 as it doesn't fit the packs theme, the pack is more themed around getting the newer/unheard of mods out there and played with, which ae2 is none of them :p it would also force players to use our launcher to play the pack which we don't want

profrags likes this.
  10. Xfel11

Xfel11 Consultant

Local Time:
    @Slind do we have more information on which part excactly is eating the performance? we might be able to fix that with a patch if it's simple.

11. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    TickHandler and MatterNetworkHandler onWorldTick(). I don't see how without a major refactor.

12. CaptainPrice_

Local Time:
    Fair enough. I see your point.

On the other hand though, there's a reason ae2 is in so many packs. :p

13. profrags

profrags Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:18 AM
    You could just use signs or item frames to organize chests and not have everything in random chests :)
    Like Benny said they can't add ae2 even if we wanted to because it forces players to use the MyM launcher and not the other launchers that provide the ability to launch FTB Horizons.
    Its like being told that you can only play minecraft on windows 10 and on any other windows version you will not be able to launch the game, it just gives you an error about not being able to connect because you don't have the correct version of windows :p

14. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    DizzyRonson likes this.
  15. alfiealfie

alfiealfie Taste the flames

Local Time:
    11:18 PM
    best thing in this case would be to disable the mod alltogether and wipe the map, if its killing the server THAT badly, then again, i dont play horizons on MyM, soooo, i dont think my vote counts :p

16. PhantomRTW

PhantomRTW Retired Staff

Local Time:
    Get rid of it, move on to a different pack, i'd say.

17. Chetwynd

Chetwynd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I guess it all depends on how functional the pack is with the lag its causing. And how functional the pack would be without the mod.
    Its just kinda weighing up the balance.

18. FlareArrow

FlareArrow Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:18 AM
    Honestly, I'd go so far as to say that Matter Overdrive is one of the less important mods in the pack. While it's fun and all, it's utility is mostly lost due to EE3 doing the same job but easier and the disabling of gravitational anomalies, and from there it's only Phasers and Androids. The problem becomes, of course, that it does mean that we have to wipe the map, as much as I may hate to admit it.

RFTools Modular Storage is your friend on Horizons.

profrags likes this.
  19. CaptainPrice_

Local Time:
    Tried it. Hated it. I can see why a lot of people would like it, but it's not for me. I just didn't see an easy way to have a unified completely automated storage with it. I switched to storage drawers and haven't looked back since.

20. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Why would it require a map wipe?