PvP Poll

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by MaelstromPhoenix, Jan 6, 2016.

?

What type of PvP would you like to play?

1. Anarchy

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Factions with Griefing

23 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Factions with Mutual Griefing

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. Factions with Raiding

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  5. Factions with Leaderboard

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MaelstromPhoenix

MaelstromPhoenix Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:45 PM
    Hey everyone. I know that I've done a poll like this in the past but I'd like to reopen the issue with the possibility of me creating a custom pack around a PvP mechanic which the community chooses. I have several choices listed, if you have another idea that isn't similar to any of the ones listed, feel free to share and I'll see about adding it to the poll. The current categories are:

Anarchy - Like the old Crackpack server that MyM used to have. Most players prefer other sorts of PvP since they don't like losing their items/builds. Tends to die out quickly since new players will keep dying to the already established players. High risk but high reward play style.

Factions with Griefing - Players can create factions and claim territory. These factions can then declare war on one another and gain/lose points based on player kills/deaths. If the faction loses too many points, they lose claimed blocks and become vulnerable to enemy factions stealing their blocks/machines/items.

Factions with Mutual Griefing - Players can create factions and claim territory. These factions have to declare mutual war on one another before they can begin fighting one another and eventually steal one another's items. (Note: Not entirely sure if this is possible with current plugins but some config changes might make this doable)

Factions with Raiding - Players can create factions and claim territory. Factions can declare war and then steal items from other factions, but not break blocks. (Note: Not entirely sure if this is possible with current plugins but some config changes might make this doable.)

Factions with Leaderboard - Players can create factions and claim territory. Players in the factions try to kill as many players of opposing factions for glory on the leaderboard.

This is in no way a guarantee of such a server. Also note that these play styles would most likely have global PvP on with grave looting. Configs can also toggle the use of PvP inside claims, i.e. being safe in home territory when not at war.

2. Lawmonark

Lawmonark Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Does factions even work with Modded?

3. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    1:45 PM
    Yes

Town also has a war/pvp mode.

4. MaelstromPhoenix

Local Time:
    Some of the grief prevention might not be 100% secure but thats what banned items are for.

5. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
  6. MaelstromPhoenix

Local Time:
    Yup. There's like 3 different plugins that more or less do the same thing. Towny, Factions and Simple Clans

7. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    I originally wanted to use towny on Civilization, but was told it does not support as many mods.

8. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    Odd. We should talk tomorrow and test a bit.

Lawmonark likes this.
  9. MyFailuredLyfe

MyFailuredLyfe New Member

Local Time:
    11:45 AM
    well in mutual griefing cant you just put all your items in your me system?

10. MaelstromPhoenix

Local Time:
    You can just take the ME system

11. Lawmonark

Local Time:
    Thats a good way to lose everything. Overload your NBT

profrags likes this.
  12. BookerTheGeek

Local Time:
    Realistically, I feel that I am going to be killing a lot of people. Muahahaha

13. profrags

profrags Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Instead of me systems you should add drawers and logistics pipes :p less nbt overloading.

Zxirl likes this.
  14. Zxirl

Zxirl Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Towny please. I love towny.

15. MyFailuredLyfe

Local Time:
    how would you go and raid a faction base? because i wouldnt want to bust out a tnt cannon and start raiding, that would take forever. I would say maybe you can break in faction land and maybe have a forcefield mod.

16. MaelstromPhoenix

Local Time:
    The way the faction raid works is that you declare war and kill members of the other faction to make them lose claiming power. If they're claiming power drops under the amount of land they have claimed, they lose those claims and you are free to run in and take their stuff

17. profrags

profrags Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    What if they were to simply make a huge obsidian box and live in it without ever seeing the outside world, how does one go about killing this foe?

18. Saint_Ceadda

Saint_Ceadda Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:45 PM
    I have moderated PvP servers in the past that employed several of these options, and have found that I prefer the latter, Factions with Leaderboard, primarily because it allows those players who enjoy the hack and slash to kill their neighbors while still allowing more passive players such as myself the ability to stay behind the faction's walls and tend to the crops, mine, and craft armor/weapons for the faction's warriors.

19. MyFailuredLyfe

Local Time:
    so to declare war the factions have to fight eachother, and both agree that they wont back out of the fight? Any reasonable person would do /spawn when their faction's power got too low

20. GoldenPalladium

GoldenPalladium Honestly, I'm pretty much dead.

Local Time:
    I can't wait to see how many people rage due to losing everything on Factions, then complaining to the moderators. Sounds like a fun time.