Decided Against [Civ] Claim resets suggestion

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by LordFungi, Mar 7, 2016.

1. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    5:09 PM
    So Civilization is about building castles, having allies, making enemies, making a kingdom. What happens when the king leaves his kingdom? It very well shouldn't disappear. I have two suggestions, the first being to disable the claim reset after two weeks so these marvelous castles and buildings can be viewed for ages to come.
    The alternative is to have the claim disappear, but not be reset, leaving the buildings intact, and at all possible, the chests and other valuable blocks removed so there won't be any looting. Derelict buildings are beautiful.

2. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    2:09 AM
    That's the complete point of the removal, to remove unused bases.
    As long as there are active trusted players and they request a transfer it will not get removed.

3. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Just shoot the idea down right away, eh.

4. King_Cronus

King_Cronus Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:09 AM
    I must point out 2 weeks is a short time perhaps lift it to 3-4 therefor giving the player a greater chance to comeback on I fear that e.g. my internet goes down god knows why and I am without for 3 weeks does that mean my claim should be removed and what about if I am busy with school ? Or computer repair s ? Many things require more than two weeks

chugga_fan likes this.
  5. LordFungi

LordFungi Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Right, this thread wasn't just about my suggestions. Civ is a weird server, with player interaction being the main focus. We now have alliances and people working with each other to create things. Sometimes people will get bored of this, and I've seen a few people come back and have their base reset.

6. AceOfBases

AceOfBases CDO: OCD alphabetized as it ought to be.

Local Time:
    Wait... The rules of Civ say "No griefing". This even applies to unclaimed bases. If a block was placed by a player, it's not to be touched. stolen, griefed, etc. So, if a claim drops, and there's a base left there, nobody can touch it anyhow.

SirWill's comment would seem to directly change that. Are we cleared to remove/loot bases that have claims dropped?

7. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    This has nothing to do with this topic.

8. AceOfBases

Local Time:
    My apologies. I probably wasn't clear.

SirWill - "That's the complete point of the removal, to remove unused bases."

I believe it is your intent is that bases that are no longer used be removed/looted/razed, or made available for other people to settle in that spot.

Under current rules, this is not the case. Current rules state (from the Civ Rules, posted by Booker):

"No Raiding! If it's not yours dont destroy it
    • Constructions, chests, animals are covered
    • Graves are covered in the above section
    • Items which obviously belong to another player may not be destroyed or moved without permission.
    • Usage of levers, buttons, beds (etc.) you don’t own isn´t permitted."
    Notice the above language makes no mention of claim status.

The admins currently enforce this rule, correctly I believe, as within the last 48 hours I watched in chat as Dovahpork came to the site of a seemingly abandoned base at the call of a player that discovered it, and said "You don't get to touch it. If it's not yours, you leave it alone". This was correct to the posted rules.

If your intent is that unused bases are to be removed, then to whom does that job fall? Players are not permitted under the current rules. Admins are not doing it. The server is not rolling back unused bases to pristine state (not even really possible), and the owners aren't doing it. So, currently, your wishes are not being implemented.

If we say that unclaimed bases MAY be removed/destroyed by players from now on, then the whole can of worms gets opened regarding what is an abandoned base. Simply unclaimed? Doesn't mean a thing. Since they were last on? As a player, I don't know whose base I just found unless they left a sign saying "Joe lives here", then I can /seen joe. Otherwise, I have no idea.

I have no dog in this match. I couldn't care less whether unclaimed bases are fair game or not. However, as it stands, your intent regarding unused/abandoned is not being implemented. I believe the topic of this conversation is the removal of abandoned bases, and I think the points I've made are salient to the topic.

Thanks.

9. aero_c

aero_c Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:09 PM
    Do "deleted" claims have their territory regenerated (world regen)?

10. bigbluu722

bigbluu722 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:09 PM
    Bases that are claimed are automatically regened once expired, then the claim is deleted.
    -V

11. profrags

profrags Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The area regenerated depends on the chunks it is inside of, if the claim is completely inside 1 chunk and barely inside 3 others then all 4 chunks get regenerated.

Wow you just ninja'd me bluu! This means war!

12. AceOfBases

Local Time:
    No chunks have been regenerated that I've seen. I have seen bases that were claimed, and are no longer claimed, and they are still exactly as they were when claimed.

Different servers may behave differently. I can only speak to the Civ server.

13. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    "Ban Appeal - I thought it was a abandoned base", that will be in many ban appeals (it already is) where players got banned because they raided a active base which wasn't claimed.
    Also, if it would be allowed you would only take the stuff you need which would end up in a raided looking base and not cleared out base.
    Then the blocks which got taken will be placed in your base, so they are not gone.

We want to clear up space for new players and remove running machines which are no longer used. Raiding doesn't help here.

So allowing raiding of abandoned bases and the auto removal of inactive bases are two different things.

Sounds like a bug, it should remove the claims and the chunks.