Decided Against Sky Factory 3 - Enable Keep Inventory?

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by krayzee2k9, Jan 8, 2017.

?

Should Keep Inventory be enabled as a temp measure to prevent rollbacks?

Poll closed Jan 15, 2017.
  1. Yes

47.7%
  2. No

52.3%
  1. krayzee2k9

krayzee2k9 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:13 PM
    I would like to propose that Keep Inventory be enabled until a better fix can be found for breaking graves. When a grave is broken it seems as though the server crashes and a roll back happens. I understand this is an experimental server but i believe the roll backs at least could be avoided by enabling keep inventory at least until the devs can track down the actual cause. Thanks for your time and consideration.

2. Jeppe0701

Jeppe0701 Active Member

Local Time:
    7:13 PM
    FOR SURE!
    this is not funny anymore..

3. krayzee2k9

Local Time:
    If you are voting no, could you please provide a reason? Just wondering what the actual reason for not enabling this would be.

4. PsychoDadd

PsychoDadd Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    Voted no.
    Reason: We have to collect more data so any bugs can be adressed. We are made, very clearly, aware that this is an experimental server.
    Keeping inventory might mask unknown errors.

HelloKittyPhone and Mouro like this.
  5. Dat_Doc

Dat_Doc Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Voted Yes
    Reason:
    Keeping inventory -> no graves -> less crashes -> more playtime -> more data so any bugs can be better adressed

6. Pseudonycat

Pseudonycat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:13 AM
    Voted No.
    Reason: As an expierenced Modded minecraft player I can tell that when a server has keep Inventory everyone stops caring about dying and doesn't even try to be safe or get good gear, because in the end you will have all your stuff and that was not the way it was intended to work. And im pretty sure Staff would not enable keep inventory, even if it meant having less crash reports, because how would they fix it if they had no crash reports nor info to go on? Its like pushing an issue aside just for it to come back stronger later, in 1 word, its called laziness. And I bet that IF they apply it, the day they will remove it everyone will whine about why can't it stay.

7. littlejdude

littlejdude Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    If keep inventory were enabled, then there wouldn't be graves, or disappearing items for the devs to use to track down the source of the issue.

8. PhishTahkoh

PhishTahkoh Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    12:13 PM
    Voted NO, as others have mentioned, it's like putting a band-aid over a bigger issue. The Devs need to figure out the bugs surrounding Graves so they can fix then and won't be able to if Graves never spawn. Additionally, I can already imagine the whining and backlash that will come if Keep Inventory is enabled, only to be disabled later on.

littlejdude, Mouro and Kazeodori like this.
  9. krayzee2k9

Local Time:
    Appreciate all the input. Some good valid points, hopefully they will look into the issue with graves asap. I certainly expect crashes and lag issues as obviously it's experimental but the rollbacks are almost hourly and make it extremely difficult to progress and stay motivated when you have to remake a difficult item over and over. I was asked by an admin to make this poll when i asked him if it was possible, he said it wasn't his decision alone, and that i should post it here. No offense meant here in any way I'm sure they are doing everything they can just trying to make it playable. Thanks to all for the input.

tyler489 likes this.
  10. crazylea

crazylea Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    no not an option in my opinion.
    what would be the fun in that?
    you are stuck somewhere, lets say nether, oh lets just die nothing happends.
    this is survival.
    like they told above burying the problem doesn't solve the problem.

11. PhishTahkoh

PhishTahkoh Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Hunger would never be an issue because people would just starve and die and keep all of their stuff....what would be the point of food.

crazylea likes this.
  12. coolgi3000

coolgi3000 Logician of the gods

Local Time:
    The problem is enabling keep inventory is more than just a fix, it's also a help for all the players. For example, if there's a problem with the game that makes so mobs don't drop EXP, you don't fix it by giving every player infinite EXP, you would probly make a recipe for bottles of enchanting from mob drops or something. I know there's not really another alternative in this situation and that was a pretty bad example, but keep inventory in my oppinion is just too OP to just give out for free, it's supposed to atleast take a bit of effort to get your items back after dying.

Don't get me wrong I would love to have keep inventory, but for me it takes away part of the fun in the same way that things like duping do (much less tho)
    voted: No

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  13. monkey4ggh

monkey4ggh New Member

Local Time:
    For people saying oh keep inventory ruins the game. Well aren't graves doing the same, if you fall in the void its easy to get your stuff back. Just go down to your grave and get your stuff you don't permanently lose it.

14. Pseudonycat

Pseudonycat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Hello. I just would like to adress that if you fall into the void is because of your own carelessness, be careful and don't fall to the void ;) Btw there are plenty of ways to get your grave back from the void so please get more info when making a comment.

15. monkey4ggh

monkey4ggh New Member

Local Time:
    Well yes, I was just making an example...
    I don't know if you were aware of that.[DOUBLEPOST=1484010778][/DOUBLEPOST];)

16. Dat_Doc

Dat_Doc Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Short update:
    Breaking just a grave doesnt crash the server but an inventory does it already.
    Breaking a chest with a lot of items in it crashes the server too

17. ElectricPoof

ElectricPoof Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Voted no. I agree with Pseudonycat, even though I lost everything the first time I joined. I died at spawn, not sure how, but my grave is under spawn. My first island had an empty chest, and /kit starter had only tools, no books, so I lost out on some items. But still wouldn't want keep inventory, what's the point of that? I might as well start a single player creative game if that's the case.

18. BookerTheGeek

BookerTheGeek Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Hm......

There are some very well thought out opinions about this both for and against. Without listing my opinion one way or another, Keep Inventory will never be enabled on any of our server unless:
    • It is a creative server (Not going to happen ever)
    • The mod pack author specifically requests the pack to be played that way.

Thank you for your opinions on this and have a wonderful day.

19. Yusami_

Yusami_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    The issue with enabling keep inventory, even as a temporary solution to a problem is that people will get used to it. Sure, no one likes losing their items or progress from a rollback, but if keep inventory was hypothetically enabled to prevent this, once it came time to disable it because most of the issues have been resolved, no one would be happy. Furthermore, as others above me have said, this is a survival setting. There is no point in playing safely, upgrading your equipment, eating, etc, as long as keep inventory is enabled. To me, that's not how it should be, even as a quick-fix that will eventually be removed.

ElectricPoof likes this.