1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change the Restarting message (30 seconds)

Discussion in 'Archive (Suggestion and Feedback)' started by Mouro, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Mouro

Mouro Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:01 PM
    Pretty much everyone knows that if you place/break items while the server is about to restart you might wanna lose items.
    So i was thinking to change the message of "Server restarting in 30 seconds" to something like: "Server restarting in 30 seconds, please leave the server so you dont lose items".

2. Pixel_Errante

Pixel_Errante Tenebris Viator /The Lost Codex Pixel

Local Time:
    I think is a good idea

3. Regulator_1A

Regulator_1A Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    2:01 PM
    Perhaps some music at 30 sec as well. Not sure if SK still hosts a server, but they used to have countdown music on his server.

4. Lady_of_the_Lake

Lady_of_the_Lake Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:01 PM
    good idea and some kind of sound effect to go with the warning might not be a bad idea either.

5. Yusami_

Yusami_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:01 PM
    I like this idea :) too often when I was first starting out on the network I made the same mistake and lost some items lol

profrags likes this.
  6. wtffidy

wtffidy Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    i personaly thing this is a great idea as most of the time im buisy ingame or just not paying attention to chat at all. tho sound is something that i pay attention to. well... more then the rest :p

EvilCatsterer and profrags like this.
  7. aD0UBLEj

aD0UBLEj Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Sound may or may not help as there are those of us that play with sound off. However I do see it as a potential decent warning for some.

8. hunterguy24

hunterguy24 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    any items that have been moved within 5-10 sec before the restart will be deleted aswell, learned about it the hard way ;(

9. CrimsonSZ

CrimsonSZ Bored of being bored because being bored is boring

Local Time:
    5:01 AM
    Add a poll so when the big guys come over they can see whether majority wants it (although I'm pretty sure it already is the case) or not

10. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    Good idea mouro. +1

11. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Changing only the last restart alert is not possible as they all use the same template.

Is this really about restarts. When we released SF3 N2 I spent quite some time on there, across many many restarts and I always let the system kick me. There was not one rollback/loss/dupe for me.

(Could it be unrelated to the restart?)

12. CrimsonSZ

CrimsonSZ Bored of being bored because being bored is boring

Local Time:
    5:01 AM
    Really unless its a rollback or somehow data goes missing when rebooting I don't see how items can go poof or be duplicated at all, maybe you guys should look into it, I'm willing to be a test dummy if it's in my schedule.

13. Mouro

Mouro Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    It happens when you do things on the last 30 seconds, if you break blocks / put items in a chest / remove them, you might end up with them deleted. If you dont do anything on the last 30 seconds you wont lose anything.

14. LunaBlossoms

LunaBlossoms Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:01 PM
    Perhaps trying a different color or bolding out the text? Many a times I have missed it b/c it got lost in chat, especially on servers that have a bigger population. Personally, the magenta doesn't stand out enough.

15. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    Maybe add those scrambling characters in front of the message. 2-3 of them. The ones you get when MC cant display a number because it goes over the integer limit.

ben_mkiv likes this.
  16. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I never had any item loss during a normal restart, except for when I left my Terra Shatterer in a pool and missed to take it out. But that was to be expected.

Strange things usually happen when server times out or restarts and starts to rollback, but you never see those coming anyway.

17. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    Before it restarts the server it kicks every player, then it initiates the restart which includes a save of the player and world data. As long as the restart happens without being interrupted, nothing should be lost.
    The 30 seconds don't make sense to me, as the save interval is much much higher.

18. Regulator_1A

Regulator_1A Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    2:01 PM
    I still think having count down music would be cool even if it is pointless.

19. jjadned_

jjadned_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I would love these changes. The music and the new message.