1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTB End Game Base Design?

Discussion in 'Tutorials, Tips and Tricks' started by iFrostSlay, Jul 9, 2017.

1. iFrostSlay

iFrostSlay Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:51 AM
    Hey, so I have an issue with always building bases, but then abandoning them as none are ever what I needed. I never find a design I like. How do you go about building bases? Do you build it around a specific mod? How should I go about building a base?

Currently, the mods I need to have fit into my base are Ae2 and Draconic Evo. I know it's easiest to build in full chunks, but also Draconic Evo cores won't fit in the chunks perfectly.

Any tips are appreciated :)

2. Kuki2901

Kuki2901 Kappa as firetruck

Local Time:
    8:51 AM
    more quartz!!!!
    lmao

3. brandonlk

brandonlk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:51 AM
    i usually tend to assign 1x1 chunk areas to certern mods and when i get further into a pack 3x3 chunk areas

4. TheVampiricT

TheVampiricT Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    My 2 cents:

I always use depth, detail, and accent colors. Currently, I am building a sky base made out of islands. The islands themselves are Marble, and they are circular. I try to center the circles into a chunk, but I always make sure not to have any machinery that is outside the chunk, to make sure it is loaded properly. That way, I can go outside of the chunks with building but not the actual electronics and stuff that might malfunction at one point.

Also, I tend to spread out. I know for some, getting claim-blocks to actual spread is difficult, but it has many uses:
    1) You are not cramped into a tiny tiny building with 1 thick walls / floors. You can wire more efficiently, fit more into a build, and have it look better.
    2) It is better on the server / client for many reasons.
    A) I always think of it like this: Entities/Interfaces per Chunk. I spreading so I don't have as many builds in one chunk, which helps FPS and server TPS
    B) More chunks may be loaded, but if you spread, the less intense those chunks are to have loaded / be in, because you don't have Thaumcraft on top of Applied Energistics, Draco Evol. and every farm in the world combined with Bees, Ore processing, and sorting.

Anyway, that is just how I think when I build bases: Detail / Spread over perfect efficiency.
    -Vamp

5. Bolivari

Bolivari Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I always build the same chunksize house, then going down or up when more space needed. Sometimes I build skyscrapers :p Do one of those step by step tutorials as I have no imagination whatsover on design he he

6. coolgi3000

coolgi3000 Logician of the gods

Local Time:
    I usually build something boring like a wood cube early game then just live off of that, putting my big machines and stuff outside until I get bored and build something cool with no regard for fitting mod stuff in it, then I figure that part out later.

As for material, to me it depends on what kinda thing I'm building. If I'm making a nice mansion in the woods, I'll usually use wood logs with stone bricks or cobble. If I'm building something futuristic-ish, or just modern, I'll use quartz. And towers I usually use quartz w/ glowstone and lapis highlights, or just stone bricks with glowstone lights.
    And sky islands I like to just use grass and then make an outdoors themed base with no enclosed buildings on it.
    (Sorta like a "this island was ripped from the ground" sorta theme)

It's all about preference tho. I like the white and blue of quartz, water, and lapis, but I have a friend who is all about obsidian, lava, and nether brick (black and red)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    TheVampiricT likes this.
  7. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    AE2 is easy to fit into a base. Just dig an underground area for the system and link cables to it.

8. iFrostSlay

iFrostSlay Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I know, but I like everything to fit perfectly in the center. Like if I had a wall, my ae2 terminals would fit perfectly in the center

9. ApianArcher

ApianArcher Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Sometimes I build around a specific mod, actually most of the time I try to. One thing I really like to do is build 3+ thick walls or floors, so that there is room to put pipes/wire/tracks without cluttering up the living floors. That's what I would recommend, it makes the whole build look a lot nicer than the standard sprawl of wires a lot of people have.

TheVampiricT likes this.
  10. TheVampiricT

TheVampiricT Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Im actually doing a sky base right now, and it is getting to the point with some of the area's that I add a 3 block air space for wires and storage. Especially in my bee area! :) and whenever I need to have a wire that won't be hidden, I use whatever facade the mod offers (Thermal expansion has their own, AE has their own, and enderio has their own) and I make it work into the build. So I needed to run power to my apiaries, well I just made a staircase and hid the enderio conduit in the wall of the staircase

11. ApianArcher

ApianArcher Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Oh yeah, facades are pretty much necessary, and they look good, generally. I like the AE2 facades that you can put pretty much anywhere, even around a terminal. It makes the place look less cluttered.

Rohen likes this.