1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dungeons and dragons

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by AoifeEnns, Oct 12, 2017.

1. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    2:58 AM
    I would like to see if many people are interested in a MYM D&D game. I would be willing to help new people learn the game should any want, and we could even do a few short campaigns rather than jump right into a long one. I have all the material on D&D beyond so I can easily share with others to build characters on it. We would probably need to use something like roll20 for the map and combat unless people would be fully okay with theatre of the mind.

B00M5H07 likes this.
  2. AmeliaFireFox

AmeliaFireFox Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:58 AM
    I think roll20 would be good, however the only problem I can see is people, like me, have different schedules per week, not to mention time zone differences, etc. Any work around for if a few people can't make it?

3. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    If we only have 1 person willing to run a game, then it would depend on their schedule. If we can get a few people willing to run games, then it could open it up more to a wider range of people. As for different schedules, you can do a few different things. I would suggest if just 1 person willing to run a game, then they set up when they have the time and are willing to run a game, then set it up so people can just drop in to the game if they are available that session, like how D&D expeditions official events do it. You just let people know what level to make a character, and maybe how many of what tier magic items you can add. Doing it like that makes it less stressful for new players, or people who like the game but just can't commit to 1 or 2 sessions every week.

Another solution is to run several short campaigns, which I think would be good at the start, so that you don't worry about people not understanding what the current quest is, or why you are doing it. If later there is enough regular people and they want to do that, that is an option too.

4. AmeliaFireFox

Local Time:
    Maybe 30-minute sessions then? more if people are willing after a short break? I of course am one who used to play DnD as I was a kid, never played it officially by the rules or how actual people play it.

5. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    I would say at least an hour. That way it gives a bit of time to clear up anything before a game starts, also with new players you would need to be prepared to not make too much headway in a campaign, even a short one with 1 hour sessions. But perhaps we could set up so leading up to the session someone is available to help get people ready for it.

6. AmeliaFireFox

Local Time:
    I think it might be a bit game-breaking, having people in one campaign, not in the next. or etc.

7. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    It's actually not, as long as the party isn't out of whack too much. There are lots of official events that run that way, in 1 session miss the next. There are enough classes that can heal, bard, cleric, druid, ranger, paladin, and soon looks to be the sorcerer too. Also it is easy to throw in healing potions if needed when there is less healing capabilities.

8. Evan317

Evan317 Resigned Member of MyM Staff Patron Tier 1 Booster

Local Time:
    Honestly we could run some one-shots as teaching material for some players.

9. CatArcher

CatArcher Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I really love dnd, would like this idea to actually happen.

10. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    Well the more people interest, and especially more experienced players the better. :)

11. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    The guy that made roll20 is making and awesome VR MMO called Orbus This game will be my new addiction when it hits early access in about 2 months

I bought into the alpha access and its beyond awesome. Bigest complaint is graphics quality, but that goes away after 5 min of play, you are immersed

12. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    That doesn't really have anything to do with this thread, as this is about getting a D&D game going.

13. Decnav

Local Time:
    ok, got ya. Stay on target, be specific, dont converse

14. Rohen

Rohen The beemaster

Local Time:
    11:58 AM
    Active and intentional derailing is bad for threads, but slight off-topic is not.

15. Decnav

Local Time:
    Roll 20, created by Riley Dutton, also creator of orbus. Was trying to converse. am bailing out now, no need for further responses. Will not bother wit trying to join this

16. AmeliaFireFox

Local Time:
    Anyways, ignoring whatever that guy was on about, I think the DnD idea is very good, and will be met with lots of people.

17. golemofstone

golemofstone Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:58 AM
    Might be interested in this if a few Europeans or Englishers are up for a game, although last time i played was about 25 years ago so not really sure how the rules have changed since 2nd Ed to be honest, still i'll keep an eye on the thread all the same :)

18. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    Maybe if I can twist a few arms, I could get someone to add a D&D channel on discord, which we could use to update or teach people about the new 5E system? If anyone is interested in playing around with the dndbeyond character builder for 5e, I have all content unlocked, and can use that to share a campaign for others to sign up and build characters with my content.

EDIT: Posted link in new D&D discord channel to build characters using the content I have unlocked. You will need to create an account with dndbeyond. I think your twitch account will work as it is a twitch product.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  19. Agent_Hippo

Agent_Hippo Member

Local Time:
    Where is the link? I'm having trouble finding it.

20. AoifeEnns

AoifeEnns Consultant

Local Time:
    Look in the pinned post on the #dungeonsanddragons channel in discord. Please use that to learn a bit about the characters abilities, and how skills/combat works.

Talking in discord an idea was put forward to run a 1 off campaign where I make each person their character, and you learn about them as you try to do things. As if you all have amnesia and you learn what your skills are by just attempting to do something. It might be a bit hard to learn about spells, but I will be coming up with a method where any racial or class ability, or spell can be learned about.