1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel or AMD

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by bobthepig2, Mar 10, 2015.

?

What is your preference

1. AMD

27.4%
  2. Intel

51.6%
  3. Potato

21.0%
  1. bobthepig2

bobthepig2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:51 AM
    What side are you on? Intel makes better performance per core. But AMD makes the budget build cpu's. What's your favorite cpu?

2. LucidTheStick

LucidTheStick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:51 PM
    Thank you for making a correct poll. Potato armed and voted.

3. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    7:51 PM
    whatever is best at the current time in place. E.g. before the 900 series amd, after Nvidia, in half a year probably AMD again..

4. LucidTheStick

LucidTheStick Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I've always viewed AMD as the best option 80% of the time for desktops as you are never going to max your chip in a true multithreaded application. However there is situations where as much as I hate Intel I do concede they are better. For example Minecraft servers that are mostly single threaded, password cracking (when combined with CUDA), and Enterprise servers.

GreyWolf11 and Lawmonark like this.
  5. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    well I guess it depends on cpu or gpu as for cpu I always stick with intel, overlocking potential and single thread performance

6. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    Im in the intel camp for processors. I can see a difference in the main work apps I use, autocad and navisworks.

I like AMD for videocards. I have had 3 nvidia cards die under normal use. I had 6 AMD's overclocked crunching bitcoins a 2 years ago, and they ran for almost a year with less than 10 hours total down time on them for rebooting and cleaning the dust out. Sold off 5, still use one in my main machine. I haven't purchased a nvidia since.

7. MrSquidward_

MrSquidward_ Well-Known Member

Local Time:
  8. bobthepig2

Local Time:
    Bitcoin mining.. is it worth it?

9. Decnav

Decnav Proud member of the VRMasterRace Patron Tier 2

Local Time:
    It was, now to mine bitcoins you need a $10,000 ASIC machine. There are altcoins out there, but bitcoin is the early leader. Its a fun sid hoby, but unless you have real money to invest, you cant beat the likes of this : Inside a Bitcoin Mining Operation in Hong Kong

10. atesz8916

atesz8916 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Only AMD!!!

It is my personal experience.
    AMD gpu have some rendering issue with x-ray engine (high-end quality settings solve it) but more durable and stronger then Nvidia.
    if i know right AMD never made weak, useless cpu-s like INTEL (celeron, D,).
    AMD have better prize/performance.

bobthepig2 likes this.
  11. Draykan1024

Draykan1024 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I'm an Intel man all the way, I've found that they work better than AMD, especially for gaming.

chugga_fan likes this.
  12. atesz8916

Local Time:
    I agree intel run smoother the apps, but (good old times) if you reached nvidia's edge it stopped working, the ATI can go further in same category. I said good old (16-bit) times (win 98, ME, Se) , ATi 9x00, GeFrorce 4x00 series etc.

13. bobthepig2

Local Time:
  14. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:51 PM
    I tend to just go for whichever will get me the best performance for my budget at the time, when I built my PC 5 years ago it was an AMD, now it will probably be Intel, who knows what will be the best one. But at the moment, unless you need a low-cost processor, Intel is probably best, Core I5 s are especially good for gaming.

15. atesz8916

Local Time:
    In these days (2017-2018), are the AMD CPU with Nvidia GPU is the best :)

16. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    When I used to build pcs for a living I was always a fan of AMD, so much so that I'd go to their tech tours. Today as just an enthusiast I'll use whatever suits my needs.

MakakPL likes this.
  17. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    Wow reviving a post from THREE years ago, new record

Decnav likes this.
  18. The_Icy_One

The_Icy_One Procrastinates by doing work

Local Time:
    And weirdly, its age doesn't make it irrelevant. Anyhow, I prefer AMD GPUs, if only because I can generally deal with the extra heating, and the prices were much better for AMD cards when I last built anything, before the crypto bubble started.

19. neronix17

neronix17 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Intel over AMD any day, I've had both for extended periods and had no serious issue with Intel, unlike AMD. Same goes for graphics card, Nvidia has never let me down, AMD has several times and twice failed to repair a clearly faulty card so their customer service matches.

That's ignoring price anyway, you get what you pay for. My computer sciences lecturer always said - "buy cheap, buy twice".

20. GreyWolf11

GreyWolf11 Former Staffer

Local Time:
    In the past, Intel has had AMD in nearly every metric, after the launch of Ryzen, Intel has made several missteps and if you are buying New their are very very few reasons to go Intel.
    GPU's are a closer race at this time, with the markets still fluctuating from Mining (Few GPU's available around MSRP, I'd go with whatever you can find at a reasonable price.

I am a frequent ranter against Intel and their business practices and will gladly have a debate on the issue :)
    ~Grey