1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about a vote restart plugin? Need opinions. (CONCEPT/IDEA)

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by SotomaniaGr, Jun 28, 2018.

1. SotomaniaGr

SotomaniaGr Active Member

Local Time:
    12:16 PM
    There's this scheduled restart system which I find really irritating at times
    which restarts even when the server is not lagging at all.

A server is supposed to restart to clear unnecessary entities so that less resources are being used and save the game.

Wouldn't it be better if the people playing in the server could vote so that they could restart the server when it is actually needed. Throughout my play time I haven't really came across any fights, griefs or any kind of aggression (which is great!).

When a certain number of votes has been collected by the server (the required number of votes changes depending on how many players are online) then the server proceeds to restart.

A good way to avoid abuse of this (even though I doubt there'd be any) is to have it locked when there aren't enough players in the server. A warning could also be included every now and then (We've let our community to decide when a server should be restarted, you can cast your vote by using the command /svote. This feature is in experimental state and we strictly recommend for usage only when it is absolutely needed). In any case, when there aren't enough people, then the server follows the original restart schedule.

A good addition to the command could be "/svote <reason>" so that admins can check the logs to easily find out why the server was restarted. Such system could also point out what caused lag on the server, the logs right before the restart could give a hint to the developers to the cause of the lag.

Though I think it will be difficult to automatically disable an auto restart plugin (when the required number of players is met to enable Svote instead of scheduled restart) so I'd suggest implementing this feature on the Auto Restart plugin itself, saving both resources and the need to create a plugin from scratch.

What's your opinion on this?

2. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    5:16 AM
    Vote restarts were tried and were abused too much so it was removed, and it solved nothing

SotomaniaGr likes this.
  3. Peace7904

Peace7904 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    SotomaniaGr likes this.
  4. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    SotomaniaGr likes this.
  5. Pseudonycat

Pseudonycat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:16 AM
    People don't seem to behave when Peer Pressure is involved, one wants to restart and everyone jumps into the bandwagon.

SotomaniaGr likes this.
  6. SotomaniaGr

SotomaniaGr Active Member

Local Time:
    Welp too bad then :/

7. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    11:16 AM
    Thing whit server restarts periodically is to keep it healthy even if said pack is running is currently stabel at each restart certen things will also happen like inactive claims will be rejuvenated so a new player can build there

Anne_Marry likes this.
  8. Anne_Marry

Anne_Marry Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    id rather suggest a voting not to restart the server on restarts.. like more than 51% of the online players vot not to,
    instead of a vote to restart it.. the scheduled restarts to remain like they are.. and only an option to post pone that restart.

they are programmed liked this .. not to disturb us, but to avoid the server getting laggy.. to clear up the memory, and processes going on
    [doublepost=1530181654][/doublepost]also, not to allow 3 restarts on a row, or maybe, to skip every other restart, so latency or lag, or any other issue caused by running a longer time still to be avoided

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    SotomaniaGr likes this.
  9. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Most issues are not solved with restarts. They just hide for a second or two and show up again.

Monkey_Banana1 and Fireforce like this.
  10. brandonlk

brandonlk Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:16 AM
    Most issues i have found are caused by huge laggy bases. the issue goes away when a restart happens because its not being loaded anymore, ofc golden chunk loaders do not help

11. chugga_fan

Local Time:
    This is not nearly as much of a problem as you might think, usually it's singular entities, active storage systems, or tickrate-enhancing items that cause it, with very few exceptions to this rule.
    This is not necessarily true, the person online could just log back in, it could be a plugin problem, it could be an underlying java GC problem (which could be reported & fixed), it could be a sponge problem. The only thing restarting early does is throw away your ability to perform diagnostics

Sandstroem likes this.
  12. FuzzyHarpyBug

FuzzyHarpyBug A little bit Fuzzy

Local Time:
    1:16 AM
    I would be for a vote system to skip the next scheduled restart. That sounds quite nice actually.

SotomaniaGr and Anne_Marry like this.
  13. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I couldn't have said it better. Especially the last sentence.

Anne_Marry likes this.
  14. Anne_Marry

Anne_Marry Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    to vote to just skip one restart? or to vote to skip one restart every 2 restarts.. like... one skipable, one not.. to avoid abuse.. or only from then number of scheduled restarts per day, to alow only only a number of skipped ones. like random tps, after an amount of /tp says maximum amount reached , wait for cooldown
    [doublepost=1530264893][/doublepost]
    that is called scheduled restart.. and its not regardin the lag, or tps or that,... its scheduled to restart at a given amount of running

SotomaniaGr likes this.