1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modpack creation

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by Fireforce, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    6:55 AM
    Hello Mym I have an idea to create a modpack tho I need help caus I no nearly nothing about how to make a modpack.....

It has to be server friendly tho also not to kitchen sink nor to hardcore

Thus pack won't include mainstream mods well some mainstream mods

Mods

Mekanism
    Nuclear craft
    Industrial forgoing

Both of these because they are very under used are in my mind far better then ender Io and draconic evo

because we some obscure mods

I want it to challenge your mind also be relaxing

Put your ideas in below here whit why you want said mod and if you want to help

2. Chetwynd

Chetwynd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:55 AM
    As a ex-pack dev, And someone who has messed around with packs, You need to take a look into a story line to gather the type of mods you would like. You would also need to decide how hard you would want the recipes to be and if there is quests or not.
    I like your mod list, But unfortunately this would not be enough to make a pack entertaining for players to stay interested ;)

If you can pull some of these things together I dont mind giving you some tips and assistance every now and again.
    (Im always up for some new packs)

3. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I do want quests and I also want it to be sorta of a grind but not to much of a grind

Like in aoe took forever to create steel and such

Iam also playing whit the thought of starting the player out whit nothing at all on a barren world like the moon whit out it being the moon

I also want the mobs to be smart and deadly.. ...

Iam gonna sit down this weekend and compose a draft of what I want and such
    And also watch some darkosto as he Makes skyfactory 4

4. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    Yeah, Just remember the Moon and Alien planet has been done many times before!

Try to think of something unique that will get people interested.

5. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I was thinking of a coustom world gen but that needs world gen code.... I could just go whit the amplified world gen but that would do so ppl would need more ram and it might not load on older pc's

6. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    Theres a few mods that simply world gen, But this also depends on what version of minecraft you would be wanting to make the pack on.

7. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    1.12 would be optimal

8. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    I used 1.7 while making packs, So im not sure what you can use for worldgen, I believe Cofh had its own method of custom worldgen.

9. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:55 AM
    There are all sorts of terrain generation mods available for 1.12. Just check curse you'll see some familiar names there. When it does come ton terrain generation though my recommendation is to not go to crazy. The more you change from vanilla or standard modded gen the more work you're making for your self making scripts or ore dicting the blocks. Look at awakening for example, it uses a few terrain generation mods and it ends up being frustrating for this player anyway. You have to consider your audience, do they run texture packs? If you use a mod that isn't well known you could turn the player off as they're constantly forced to stare at a "vanilla" textured block. Or in the aforementioned awakening, those sixteen types of cobble suffer from not being functional with chisel, and force a player to compress them for traditional cobblestone as the author didn't bother to include a different recipe for conversion.

There's a reason why mymskies has taken so long, switching from 1.7 to 1.12 required a lot of thinking, were 1.7 is mostly slap mods together with a story and profit, 1.12 is a fledgling, so you're really going to need to experiment to get things the way you want.

Fireforce and Chetwynd like this.
  10. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    Sometimes the extra work is worth it, As for texture packs its not the pack devs priority to sort out the texture packs and if they are compatible/exist for the mods they are using. 1.12 has made something things easier and more organised but also made it more work to reach the perfection you want. Some things are still experimental as new features and abilities have been added to 1.12 from 1.7 and modders are still looking into what they can do with them.
    The modded world gen may be more work, But if done properly to achieve a decent world gen I dont think you can change too much or too little. I understand it might be a bit more work but sometimes that can pay off.
    Oredicting should honestly be done by the mod makers but is not always but this can be done in Ore/Mine/script tweaker depending on what you use.
    Cosmetics can sometimes be why your pack will suffer FPS drops and issues. *Glares at Forge microblocks and decocraft* But again it depends on how the mod is made so it would just take some experimenting with what mods work together and which ones drop your FPS down to 0.

But i agree with how you will need a story/questline to interest people. As personally I struggle to play packs without questing. I just lose focus and dont know what to work on. Even if theres no rewards a general line pointing you in a direction tends to help, And then players have the choice if they want follow it or not.

And if you are wanting to make the pack appeal to all audiences maybe go for a expert and a normal mode. It takes a bit more work but could bring more people into enjoying your pack.

You want to try and get as much audience interested as you can.

11. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Alright thanks so far

I have decided to go with simple Gen like bop amplified and focus more on the red thread a story a general story in the pack.... You don't have to follow it but I would like to gate certen things behind the story if that's doable :)

Chetwynd likes this.
  12. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    That sounds good, and yeah that's possible, although, if your making it so you don't need to follow it make sure there's an alternative way to get then items

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

13. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Hey @_Chetwynd_

What recommendations do you have if someone wants to do a more skyblockish pack but something like stoneblock or galactic science with a custom map/template , where do you start?

14. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    I used a mod called lockdown it made you use the same map template everytime,

You also need to pick a mod that gets you the starting resources

Ex Nihlio and Astris usually work the best while sky resources is not that great with sponge

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk