1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EMC generation

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by c0mical, Oct 28, 2018.

1. c0mical

c0mical Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:36 AM
    Hi

Would an EMC setup that uses mana be allowed. I havent got anything setup yet to look at, its only an idea.

It would be using active flowers to generate the mana but there would be no other power input into the system apart from the mana

2. Marbliss

Marbliss Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:36 AM
    well, seeing as it requires mana which has to be generated somehow i do believe this is allowed, but who am i right?

3. AyeItsKatieMC

AyeItsKatieMC Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:36 PM
    EMC generated through power is banned so why wouldn't mana

4. Chetwynd

Chetwynd Well-Known Member

Local Time:
  5. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    10:36 PM
    No, if it requires RF it is fine, you can't just take 0 durability golden pickaxes and loop them through to alchemical chests, wait until they're repaired then stick them into the condensers for an infinite loop anymore

Chetwynd likes this.
  6. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    Anything that is self sustaining (EMC Only) is what is banned, If your constantly having to supply external resources it should be okay.

7. c0mical

Local Time:
    theres a workable difference between the cost of diamonds and cost of mana diamonds on awakening. I've asked shadowake and it was intended to reduce the cost of diamonds

8. Chetwynd

Local Time:
    Im not actually sure about this one, as it does seem a bit like a dupe, but yet again your applying mana.

Yeah I would wait for a staff member to check this out as I am unsure. But I believe this won't be allowed.

9. sporefreak

sporefreak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:36 PM
    Mana Diamonds use a lot of mana. Sure you are able to make a lot of mana diamonds using a single mana pool but you still have to generate the mana somehow and there is no way to do it passively. (Not without a lot of space and expensive overgrowth seeds at least)

While I cannot say for sure i'm Fairly confident it is allowed.

I was given the okay with a thaum setup that used Essentia as a resource which is close enough to mana. :)

10. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    I think the key point is whether the mana is being generated in any way from the loop, e.g. using excess EMC to make a resource to feed to the mana generating flowers producing enough mana to convert the next diamond, as at that point you have effectively closed the loop, just as with a simple macerator loop you aren't allowed to use excess EMC to produce the fuel for the generator that is powering the macerator.

It mostly depends on just how significant the difference in EMC value between normal and mana diamond is, because if you can't produce enough materials with the surplus to produce enough mana (using the most efficient mana flower and material combo) to convert the next diamond then it wouldn't matter as that would no longer be a positive feedback loop, if on the other hand your mana comes from an entirely outside source like an automated farm feeding gourmaryllis, then it isnt a closed loop and should be fine IMO.

chugga_fan likes this.
  11. c0mical

Local Time:
    a brilliant explanation chaosblad3, thankyou

12. chaosblad3

chaosblad3 Very Well-Known Member Patron Tier 1

Local Time:
    Well don't take my word as final just yet, I may have made the rules in the past when I was still an Admin, but I'd still wait for a current staff member to confirm if my assumptions are correct ;)

c0mical and Chetwynd like this.
  13. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    You could use the duping catalyst to dupe stuff. But that needs a lot of mana anyway

14. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Just for others reading, the difference is that the botania duping is an intended mechanism using Mana as a cost, emc "duping" is an unintended exploit where you get more out of it than you put in with no cost, which is against the whole point of the mod of an "equivalent exchange".

wyndman likes this.
  15. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Yes, I am talking about the conjuration catalyst, the term "duping catalyst" is more a funny name I gave that thing. Thanks for clarification, Kronnn.