1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided Against Change implementation of Patron Serverlimit Bypass

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Sandstroem, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    6:06 PM
    So right now we have the problem, that once in a while Non-Patrons ask Patrons to leave and join a full server, so they can join. This is annoying for Patrons, but I can also see how it is annoying for NonPatreons if they already started a base there.

It is obvious that Patreon buys an extra slot and is not meant to take one from a NonPatreon. Otherwise a patreon joining would randomly kick a Nonpatreon and yes, that would be stupid :D

I would like to suggestion a change in the implementation of the Bypass.

Instead of checking whether the current player count reached the limit, only check whether the current NonPatron Count reached the limit. If yes, then a non patron cant join. Patrons can always join.

The result would be the same.
    So lets say you have a 50 player limit.
    Right now: 40 nonpatreons online, 10 patreons online. 10 Nonpatreons come and ask patreons to rejoin.
    With the change:
    40/50 Nonpatreons online. Patron number doesnt count anyway. 10 Nonpatreons can join.

Obviously the implementation is a bit more difficult than that. Or maybe not.

p5k, miker5231, Tipsied and 3 others like this.
  2. chugga_fan

chugga_fan ME 4M storage cell of knowledge, all the time

Local Time:
    12:06 PM
    I second this, it's not uncommon that I see people unable to join stoneblock because of there being 17 old donor tiers and another 7 patrons, with 3 more moderators (of anykind)

3. Broklyn_Datroll

Broklyn_Datroll Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:06 AM
    With the ability to check Patron status for early access, I can see it being a trivial bit of coding for the Devs to implement this. And it would improve the community immensely. Not only would it alleviate an irritation for Patrons (and Legacy Donors), but it would also lessen the resentment some non-Patron members might be feeling towards the network.

Great idea Sand!

Tipsied likes this.
  4. Werwolfi_de

Werwolfi_de Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    As far as i know the problem is another thing. There is a player limit which is directly connected to the server performance. We try to set it as high as possible or if the demand is there to open a second node (no this is no confirmation for a second node). If we count patrons/staff and players differently there will be no improvment at all. the maximun player count would need to be decreased to prevent an instable server.

GreyWolf11 likes this.
  5. Broklyn_Datroll

Broklyn_Datroll Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Player count can still be tracked as a total, and as it currently stands there is nothing to stop 50+ Patron/Legacy's from loading into one server. Which happens for new servers quite often. Assigning each server an allotment of spaces designed for Non-Patron players wouldn't impact server stability any more than the current system. And as always, player interest in a server would be tracked to determine the viability of any potential additional nodes.

Remember the onslaught when AoE launched? I know Aido and I remember the mad rush to get 2 additional nodes up and running. It almost goes without saying that many things are based off player demand.

:banghead: <this is meant as a funny, so laugh! Laugh I say!>

KeiranHalcyon89 and chugga_fan like this.
  6. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    There is of course another option... You can just ignore people asking Patrons or Legacy donors to make room for regular cheapskate players. Dont mean ./ignore by the way. Just pretend they are not there. Or impose a rule on the rules page that asking for stuff like that is not allowed. I mean why should paying players have to make room for non-paying players?

This should function as that little extra push for non-patrons to become patron. Even the Tier 1 should work and its cheaper than an evening meal on average.

7. SirWill

SirWill Founder

Local Time:
    My idea was to set a cooldown of 5-10 minutes when a player with reserved slot leaves and only players with reserved slot can bypass that cooldown. That means if a player with reserved slot leaves then the server needs to stay at 17/18 for 5-10 min without any player with reserved slot joining. The downside of this is that it's harder to get on the server even when not asking someone to leave the server.

GoldenFoxxo likes this.
  8. deepcage

Local Time:
    Or... just like with when people use the words "rules" and "stuck" in any way, they trigger a message from the INFO thingy you got running. Why not make one for players saying "cant get in" or "can someone (please) leave/make room" to display a message that they can buy patron at the mym store? :)

9. CatArcher

CatArcher Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    because not everyone has money.

10. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:06 PM
    Then it's simple, you dont have the money for patron, you dont get the benifits of patreon. Begging and harassing people to leave the server so you or a friend can join is not a substitute.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  11. deepcage

Local Time:
    Patreon?

12. Kronnn

Kronnn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:06 PM
    Slip of the keyboard :p

13. Slind

Slind Founder

Local Time:
    I believe this would cause a lot of confusion no matter the message displayed and only solves the current behavior which could also be resolved with a plain simple rule.

I'm not sure how simple it is to dynamically adjust the amount of slots available during runtime, I don't think there is any API for it. If doable, I think this would be a good way to go, though we would probably need to keep the amount of slots lower to avoid exzessive overload. Which ain't good especially since this is mostly an issue during peak times.

GreyWolf11 and chugga_fan like this.
  14. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    It works out to thirty-seven cents a day to bypass the limit, do we offer thirty-seven cents a day of content? I'd say so. (These figures are in American Dollars, your millage may vary)

15. Fireforce

Fireforce Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    The fun I get for patron and just Mym is messured in weeks now I don't get weeks of fun from a aaa title at 60bux USD but from Mym oh lord the hours I get. .. The more I play on Mym the more I live it so Thoes 27 cents a day is more then worth it tho iam t3 so I dont know what that is pr day

You get a lot for Thoes 27 cents :)

16. deepcage

Local Time:
    And even if you dont patron up... You dont have to play the latest packs... I mean MyM offers dozens of packs... And decently managed servers (most of the time). Even for free, there should be no complaining rly. (yea im a hypocrite)

dragon87tamer likes this.
  17. CreepersScareMe5

CreepersScareMe5 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:06 AM
    The whole point of creating the Patron tier system was to establish a reliable/consistent revenue stream. Making it easier for non-patrons to join a server is contrary to this goal.

TomboyEnthusiast and Fireforce like this.
  18. sporefreak

sporefreak Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:06 AM
    Honestly I think if a server is full and you are not Patreon you don't get to join until someone leaves.
    IMO Asking a Patreon to leave so you can join and they can join back because they get reserved slots should be considered a loophole and against the rules as you are going around Player limits set in place by the server admins.

Fireforce likes this.
  19. miker5231

miker5231 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Instead of not counting patrons towards the server limit, you should just add a grace period to reconnect for non-patrons maybe 5 minutes tops
    Inspired by my recent lag-out of Stoneblock

20. deepcage

Local Time:
    Seems like this has been forgotten. Bumping topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.