1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth making a mod?

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by Timkoo, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Timkoo

Timkoo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    11:53 AM
    Worth making a mod?

2. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
  3. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Depends on what you define as "worth".

Do you want to
    • Contribute to the Mc community?
    • Learn how to make mods?
    • Earn money with it?
    What kind of mod?

There are many reasons why or why not you should write a mod. Those depend on you, we can't really help you with that.

4. Matryoshika

Matryoshika Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Points of concern when it comes to mod-making
    1. Do not use MCreator to "make" mods
      It's a basic utility that codes "for" you, allowing you to add blocks, items etc, but you will never have complete control like when you're actually coding inside an IDE. Unless you want to simply add a few things that don't do much, MCreator is nothing but a trap.
    2. Minecraft version: Mod for at least 1.10+. If you have any issues, you're gonna want to find the sub-forum "Modder Support" over at the official Forge forums. They do not support older versions of Minecraft, and will lock threads asking for help with old versions.
    3. What do you want to code? An addon? Your own endgame super-awesome reactor that makes MAX_INTEGER RF/tick? Or perhaps just some decorative stuff? In the very least: Start small. A single block with an inventory that makes RF/FE compatible energy (so a generator) is a lot easier to code than a block that changes shapes or even textures dynamically.
    4. Git: Use Git. Be it you host your repository on GitHub, GitLab, or wherever, just use Git. It's soooooooo much easier to version-control and also roll-back code.
      Don't be afraid as well to view other's code to get inspiration or even just how something is done. Though of course don't just copy/paste code directly, in some cases that could be an actual offence depending on the licenses.

5. Timkoo

Timkoo Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Thank you. I have decided to make a mod. I like MCreator for it's texture creator (mainly) but I use JetBrains' IntelliJ IDEA.

I also just got GitHub student pack, so that actually pushed me to this.

And MCreator has a GUI option, didn't explore that much, does it do something useful?