1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shanghaied [Survival Questing Pack]

Discussion in 'Community Talk' started by SirJAH888, Sep 29, 2018.

1. wyndman

wyndman Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:05 AM
    Oh I feel your pain up moving to 1.12. I switched MyM Skies from 1.7.10 to 1.12 then converted from HQM to BetterQuesting as well.. oh the headaches.

2. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    3:05 PM
    Yup, I agree wholeheartedly. Even just updating a mod version within a release level can cause headaches. I've already had to do a quick update on the same day of its release due to EnderIO introducing flour. Also had a problem with the TC update and clear glass. Thankfully only affected a couple of dozen players.

I tried a pack that had Better questing and one of the first kill quests was broken. Went into the edit mode and although it had been set up correctly, it just refused to register.

Then when we were considering updating we thought as all updated versions of HQM now lets you see and complete blocked quests, we'd try something else. Sadly BQ and FTB quests just aren't suited to the style of our shanghaied packs. Thankfully HQM is updated to 1.12.2 but is still broken as far as blocked quests go, so I'll have to make ALL quests invisible until they're opened. Not my first preference but better than the alternatives.

I have mentioned this to the mod maker but so far they haven't replied or fixed it. I'm guessing its some kind of conflict with the way they've instituted the 'recipe' lookup feature from within the book as the problem only appeared after their 4.33 version.

I've been looking forward to trying out other peoples packs and will check out your MyM skies once I've made sure this latest release doesn't have any more hidden problems I need to deal with.

3. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    9:05 AM
    That's why you don't update a pack from 1.7 to 1.12, you make a successor.

4. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    Agreed. Updating from Technic acceptability to Curse acceptability was time consuming enough. If there is another pack it'll more than likely be converting the original Shanghaied to Curse, but it will be much harder trying to keep it in its original form and I'll have to be careful not to incorporate too many of the changes that took place when making our nightmare pack.

5. wyndman

Local Time:
    I just don't like the way FTB Quests feels, I prefer HQM it just doesn't work well with multiplayer it eventually dies with more players, Better Questing handles those issues a lot better, but it too can occasionally throw its hands up and go I quit!

6. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    I agree. We tried a pack using FTB quests to see how it looked and played etc. Seemed too restrictive and I figured the pack maker probably designed it with their resolution set to either normal or large as the quests didn't fit properly on the screen in auto resolution, which is my preferred option. Its funny with HQM that the blocked quests are broken after version 4.33 and that the countdown timer is broken for 4.33. I personally don't mind having the timer broken as it means you have to keep checking repeatable quests occasionally to see if they're ready.

I guess none of them are perfect but with a little determination and a lot of experimenting its possible to come up with a quest pack that actually works as expected. HQM has a lot of features if you're willing to take the time to work out how to use them.

7. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    In my experience only a handful of packs have quests that are well designed, but a majority of books are just not good.

Take any project ozone pack for example. It often feels like I am asked to craft things that don't fit into what I actually need just now for progression.

Omni factory on the other hand explained decently well how to proceed, at least in the early stages of gt.

Infinity expert Mode, both land and sky worked perfectly without a quest book. The ingame guide gives you an idea how to get started, the rest you can easily figure out on your own.

Shanghaied, regrowth, hypovolemia, they all followed the "from nothing" approach and are Story driven, where a quest book makes more sense.

I feel a lot of good packs are more ruined than helped by a book.
    What's the point of quests on stoneblock? The first three things are unique, after that it is more or less a kitchen sink skyblock.

8. wyndman

Local Time:
    Stoneblock is a good example of poorly done questing. I stick to my original complaint about it, it's an inverted skyblock with a quest book bolted on as an afterthought.

9. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Any chance you can make days a bit brighter? I find it very exhausting if it feels like a constant sunset.

10. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    A
    Ahhh, I'm assuming you are replying to someone else' pack with this reply. :oops:

11. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Nope. Yours. Unless my graphics are broken and it is not the pack.

12. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    I haven't changed anything with regards lighting. It may be the darkness of the wastelands sand but to be honest I haven't noticed its any darker than other packs I've designed. I do however generally have my graphics set to brightness, especially when going offworld. I tend to try and make the travellers goggles ASAP and put Night Vision on them. Uses a lot of gold but well worth it until I can upgrade to dark armor. We did toy with changing the brown sand to blood red to emphasise the 'nightmare' aspect but after a while it just got annoying so I changed it back. I could trial making it lighter and see how it feels.

There is a 3rd update imminent as I forgot to rename the Barley to Lemon Grass. I also forgot that oak is no longer available as it was in the Technic pack and I'd forgotten to change certain recipes that only used oak. They will now use maple. Also simplified some recipes that had become harder due to the upgrade, so all in all the update is needed. I'll delay it until I've settled on the wastelands colour.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll keep you updated..........

EDIT: Ahh you were talking about the wastelands brightness weren't you? I mean the Cave dimension is meant to be dark and the Erebus is an underground world in permanent twilight which I can't change, hence the goggles.

Oh, and if it was the wastelands, you'll be pleased to hear I've already changed the colour to a kinda washed out greyish that has made it easier to see the area. Also updated the splash images etc and did a quick test. Seems like it'll work fine, especially when using an underground bunker, so I'll probably use it in the update.

Cheers......

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  13. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Yeah I had a bit like a vanilla swamp feeling but much darker, which was a bit exhausting for the eyes.

14. SirJAH888

SirJAH888 New Member

Local Time:
    The update has been uploaded. Your existing game won't be overly affected but it will have the new lighter colour wastelands which I've found is easier to see in.

Hope you like it.........