1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Implemented Add a German Channel to Discord

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Pseudonycat, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pseudonycat

Pseudonycat Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    7:52 AM
    Hello.

I think a German Channel would be a nice addition to Discord.

With the Server being hosted in Germany, and a lot of its players ( including me ) speak German, I think a channel dedicated to speaking only in German would be fantastic. Being able to practice German in a more casual way is an opportunity that shouldn't be wasted. Also, being able to derp around in a language other than English is tons of fun.

Please give your opinion on the matter, to see if there's a substantial amount of German speaking players who would be interested in a chat channel on discord. Thank you for your time, and have a great day :)

Pseudonycat

2. thescum

thescum Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    2:52 PM
    ich bin dafür

p5k and Samster20 like this.
  3. IWantToHugYou

IWantToHugYou Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Oh yeah, that would be awesome!

p5k likes this.
  4. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    Voting against, because then French, Spanish, Polish Etc etc etc would also like a seperate channel. Besides, where would you put all the English channels? :D

Then again, it would be fun to speak german on discord, even though my german is as good as Sandstroem's English :D (staff know what i mean).

Quick! run to ze chopper! (in a Schwarzenegger accent)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. Snackumzs

Snackumzs Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    9:52 AM
    We could make respective language channels for everyone, not just German, but of course certain MyM rules will still apply.

Edit: Not saying I can make these channels, saying "We" as in MyM. Just want to clarify.

Samster20 likes this.
  6. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    There is a reason why you don't have friends.

Besides, nobody has asked for other channels. Using events that may or may not happen eventually as an excuse will not get you far.

7. Willshaper

Willshaper Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I wouldn't mind having dedicated language channels, however. There should always be at least 1 member of staff that is able to speak said language, so that those channels can be properly moderated.

8. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    I think as long as certain languages are not explicitly requested, we should not start to discuss them. And even more not use them as an excuse to not have a german channel. Those are just theoretical discussions otherwise and lead to nothing.

If enough longterm community members are in the channel who speak the language, things are fine without an explicit moderator. If someone massively misbehaves there are ways to let staff know.

TomboyEnthusiast likes this.
  9. LordEreh

LordEreh Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I wanted to post short clip with THAT ONE GUY yelling "NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!" but i am more that 101% sure that post would be removed and i got another warning because "german political correctnes" so I must use this clip:

10. HanoverFist69

HanoverFist69 Administrator

Local Time:
    6:52 AM
    The main reason we'd probably shoot down this idea is simple...Mods don't speak German so how can we monitor that channel for rules violations? You'd need mods that spoke the language fluently and agreed to monitor it 24/7/365. In the end it's just easier to ask everyone to speak English.

LordEreh and LadyRen13 like this.
  11. p5k

p5k Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I am German. And it's not like all our channels and servers are monitored by a staff member 24/7 anyways. I guess it would be a problem if I left though, because i doubt the Founders would like to take over that job.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  12. deepcage

deepcage Captain Obvious has entered the building!

Local Time:
    If you prefer to speak german though... join the MyM Teamspeak server. Create a private channel and you can speak any language you want there.

LadyRen13 likes this.
  13. p5k

p5k Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    Now that you mention that: We already have a German channel on the TS, so why not have a German text and/or voice channel in discord?

14. TomboyEnthusiast

TomboyEnthusiast Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    I like the idea

p5k likes this.
  15. LadyRen13

LadyRen13 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    While it is a nice idea in theory, we don't have enough staff to properly monitor a chat log like that in another language. What players do in privet messages and in privet chat rooms is on them while of course following MyM rules. I do not foresee this coming to fruition in discord. As Deep mentioned we do have a channel in team-speak dedicated to German and 9 time out of 10 it is empty. Players can use party calls or privet group chats in discord currently without involving staff with more work.
    ~Ren

LordEreh likes this.
  16. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    Sorry, this statement is valid for TeamSpeak in general. Our ts is pretty much dead.

When it comes to moderating, maybe just trust that the community is mature enough to report those that don't behave.

There is a reason why not every suggestion needs to be discussed with the community. People have opinions and need to communicate it. Do I think we need some of the existing channels on discord? I don't, but I don't argue about them, I just ignore them.

This is more a rant in general that not everything needs to be discussed in the community and in my opinion a big problem in mym, but I guess now I can at least address those things to @ElectricLemonade

17. Sandstroem

Sandstroem Patron Tier 3

Local Time:
    "Der Untergang" aka Downfall was nominated for best foreign picture at the Oscars, so no need to put it behind a spoiler.

<Removed by staff>

18. p5k

p5k Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    nvm lol

19. p5k

p5k Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    So, any update on this? It takes 10 seconds to make a discord channel. I really don't see how there would be any problem with having German text/voice channels, seeing as we already have German teamspeak channels, which do see some use every now and then. Would be nice to get a definitive answer on this.

Sandstroem and Pseudonycat like this.
  20. Rebelborn

Rebelborn Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    make one for norwegian to then......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.